TO HOT TO RIDE?

oldie48

Visit site
Well I'm enjoying this lovely weather and riding as normal. The horses come in during the day and chill out until I decide to ride. Hacked out at 16.00 today with a friend who evented yesterday, so schooling , a lesson or a hack is no big deal really! i'd rather have this than the rain we had last year. Long may it last!

jenki13

Visit site
My horse hasn't been ridden in 2 weeks :( . I get up at 5 am to go to work & I'm already in bed at 9pm. My only choice to ride would be around 3/4 (unless i'm working a full day) & as my horse is currently moulting in this heat/ refusing to come out of the field shelter I just don't think its fair to ask her to work. She even kept moving around to be in the shade whilst being shod on Monday at 8am.

I am however going to start acclimatisation saturday evening as I won't have work on sunday & then hopefully i'll be able to ride earlier.
Yes yes horses work in FAR hotter countries than here but the British equestrian squad didn't just fly out to Hong Kong & go straight out... oh yeah they had an acclimatisation period ;) on already very fit horses who will cope better and adapt quicker.

Re feeding electrolytes my horse will sweat a lot more doing a 30 min "basic" training session than a 3-day horse would so would be more in need of replacement. Mine has a mineral lick all year round & uses it much more in the summer than the winter, animals tend to know what they are lacking a lot of the time.

spookypony

Visit site
I'm just going to have a wee chuckle at all the people who think this is hot weather! I'm finally, finally not cold! People on this side of the pond keep thinking of Canadians as being in the "far North", but my home town is rather closer to the latitude of Rome than of London. While our winters are much colder than here, our summers are far, far hotter (and longer). I remember riding my second affiliated dressage test when it was 36 oC in the shade. I think jackets were optional that day. :p

As to electrolytes, I've added slightly more salt to the feeds than normal tonight...but even at an Endurance ride, I give the horse choice among plain water or the speedibeet tea with electrolytes in...I figure he will know what he needs. I know I've been warned against drinking sports drinks at the expense of plain water.

jenki13

Visit site
As to electrolytes, I've added slightly more salt to the feeds than normal tonight...but even at an Endurance ride, I give the horse choice among plain water or the speedibeet tea with electrolytes in...I figure he will know what he needs. I know I've been warned against drinking sports drinks at the expense of plain water.

Ah yes you shouldn't rely on just sports drinks for rehydration but they have their uses (although you can make your own by adding salt to water ;) ). As you say they will very often know what they need. My horse doesn't usually drink after lessons etc even after sweating quite a lot but the other weekend she drank a whole bucket & its got about 6-8 degrees hotter here in the day now.

As you say you feel "just warm" where as I'm feeling plenty hot in a vest top & shorts lol - temperature effects everyone differently.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Tbh I give out before my horse does so never really an option :D

Like another poster, I have to make sure we are fit enough to do a long (20mile with gallops) ride in September and if I only ride in the comparitive cool, and it turns out to be a scorcher on the day, my horse is going to struggle.

From tomorrow will be feeding soaked hay to help with the fluid intake and I am going to freeze some very weak apple juice with very small bits of carrots in to help to get the fluids in :D

I normally try to ride in the morning, but it has been pea-soupers in the morning and I don't really fancy deer-stalking in 'pitch whiteness' so have been riding in the evenings. Got a 10 miler planned for Sunday and as finishing work at 2am I think it might end up being middle of the day. Nugz (and me probably) will get a cold shower when we get back!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Actually if you read my comments carefully it says that he isn't usually allowed to be overweight but due to circumstances he has put a "bit" more on than I would like!

I agree overweight horses is not good however I hope you never end up in the situation I did where your horses have to come second for a while as your partner is so sick.!! I wouldn't wish it on anybody and certainly wouldn't judge people because of circumstances beyond there control!

As stated my lad is now on starvation and will be slim again soon.

As I say, it's your inference that my post was critical of your situation - I hardly think my statement about my own horses, and my priorities with them, implies it :rolleyes: We all make judgement calls about what needs our attention most. It just so happens that my priority is that my horses are fit and slim, therefore heat will not stop me riding - which is the theme of the thread, no?

Elsbells

Visit site
I'm riding my mare every day as usual, in fact this morning we nannied a baby horse on its first hack and then this evening we showed a new livery all the farm routes. My girl has had two good hacks today and two good hoseings which she loves. She's now back out in the field grazing and is as happy as larry and showing no lasting effects.

Enjoy the weather, it'll be a long hard winter before we know it.:rolleyes:

oldie48

Visit site
Exactly my sentiments! We are actually having a SUMMER, I know it's been a while since we had one but in summer the sun shines and it gets hotter. It's great to feel the sun, it makes me feel happy. For those of you who are struggling with the heat, think back to all those grey rainy days, the freezing north wind, the icy roads and yards, frozen water pipes etc etc it might make you feel a bit happier to have some sun on you.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Electrolytes CAN cause imbalances if over used; how much is this horse sweating? As much as a 3-day horse after X country? After a race? THAT'S how much sweat a horse needs to lose before it requires electrolyte replacement. Most horses have more than enough salts available to them, there is no need to supplement a horse as if it's just done a 50K endurance route at competition speeds just because it's got a little bit sweaty. That is my point; most horses DO NOT need anything extra. It's a bit hot; get a grip.

at least theres one other person whose brain hasnt gone to mush in the heat!

i teach at 3 biggish local yards, and the amount of people either not riding because its "too hot", or panicking because the horses are "so sweaty" (damp under saddle and on neck) leaves me gob smacked daily.

mine is having electrolytes but he's schooling at GP now so working hard. I havent seen one single horse on any of these three yards bar the ones i teach,do more than walk (or shuffle really) in the last 3 weeks, and the owners are panicking like crazy about the resulting minor sweat.

bonkers.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Exactly my sentiments! We are actually having a SUMMER, I know it's been a while since we had one but in summer the sun shines and it gets hotter. It's great to feel the sun, it makes me feel happy. For those of you who are struggling with the heat, think back to all those grey rainy days, the freezing north wind, the icy roads and yards, frozen water pipes etc etc it might make you feel a bit happier to have some sun on you.

This is what I'm trying to keep in my mind! I don't like hot weather, my head goes to mush but my horse has too much grass in her field to have any time off so she is working as normal :D Only concession I made was letting her pick her pace on the gallops the other day, but that has more to do with fitness than heat. In the school she's got to work!

Spring Feather

Visit site
The temperatures have been around 35c - 40c where I live and the humidity has been at 90%-100% this past couple of weeks. No-one at my farm rides during the day. Most are coming out to ride at around 8.30pm - 9pm when it's still around 35c but the humidity has usually dropped a little. I take the horses out before midday or after 7pm.

I agree with the person who mentions being acclimatised to heat though. I work outside on the farm most of the day but with plenty of water breaks so I'm quite used to the heat. The horses all live outside so they are used to it, however we still don't have them working in blazing heat of the day.

We don't offer electrolytes, the horses all have salt and mineral blocks and plenty of fresh water in their fields, however I do hose them down fairly regularly.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I confess, I am going easy on some of my students' horses, especially the hairy natives who are all slightly horrified by the weather.

My girl is Colorado-bred. Eighty schmeighty. She (and, well, me) can man up and work as normal. Yes, she gets sweaty. BFD. I hose her off after riding, which she loves. This would be a delightfully cool day by Colorado summer standards.

@ spookypony, I also did many a dressage show in baking weather, wearing my jacket. I don't think they waved jackets 'till it got to 98 or 99 F. Fun. :)

@Spring Feather, I lived on the East Coast of the US for four years while at uni. That humidity was the killer. I don't miss that.

Last edited:

Spring Feather

Visit site
@Spring Feather, I lived on the East Coast of the US for four years while at uni. That humidity was the killer. I don't miss that.
Yes it is the humidity that is the killer. Temps of 35/40c are fine when there is a breeze and the humidity is low; that doesn't happen very often here though lol! and rarely during the day :) There's a fabulous wind here today which is perfect for working the horse in as the high temperatures don't bother them either so long as we can all still breathe without the 'thickness' of humid air.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'm doing a lot of converting to farenheit, though. There's something to be said for social constructions/perceptions of temperature. Given the average temps here in Scotland, 26 C seems like a lot. Convert it to farenheit, you get 78, an unusually cool summer's day. Then I can tell myself to stop being so pathetic and get out and ride. LOL.

JFTDWS

Visit site
at least theres one other person whose brain hasnt gone to mush in the heat!

i teach at 3 biggish local yards, and the amount of people either not riding because its "too hot", or panicking because the horses are "so sweaty" (damp under saddle and on neck) leaves me gob smacked daily.

mine is having electrolytes but he's schooling at GP now so working hard. I havent seen one single horse on any of these three yards bar the ones i teach,do more than walk (or shuffle really) in the last 3 weeks, and the owners are panicking like crazy about the resulting minor sweat.

bonkers.

If it helps, my facebook status last week: "Getting off your horse after a bareback schooling session to find not only the horse but also your shorts are dripping in sweat... It's a glamorous world, the horsey one."

We're certainly not plodding round in walk, and it will take more than a spot of sun to make us! Schooling at any time of day, in all paces, for an hour a time and I don't consider getting off unless he's dripping. As for electrolytes, they have access to a salt block in the stable if they want it.

Not that it compares to schooling at GP, of course. Just that, relative to his level of education, I don't believe it sacking off for a spot of warm weather either :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I'm riding as normal. Horse is getting very sweaty but he's working hard. He is drinking plenty and full of beans so doesn't appear to be suffering any adverse effects.

This week he's been schooled once by YO (probably at about 10am so would have been warm then) then I've hacked (1.5hr hilly with plenty of trot work), done some interval training, schooled then hacked, have a 1hr flat lesson tonight. Tomorrow I'll ride early but only because I have a lot of other stuff on I need to do away from the yard. Will most likely hack for a couple of hours, though been talking about going to the gallops. Sunday have a SJ lesson. Next week will be the same - prob 2 formal schooling sessions, a jump, hacking (which is also schooling) then ODE on Sat. It's not ideal to be hot, sticky and surrounded by flies but I think we've all forgotten what summer is actually like!!

OP, if your horse is standing in the field sweating then why not clip him out? I used to do that with a Welsh D I had.

Gracie21

Visit site
The flies are stopping everything down here! We are right in crab fly country! They are horrible little s*ds, pony has sensitive skin and goes mental whenever he gets one. Took him in the school at 7pm and all he wanted to do was roll, not ideal! They've been having a chew on me as well, not pleasant... Going to lunge him tonight then get on and hope the flies don't make an appearance!

splashnutti1

Visit site
I'm riding as normal. Horse is getting very sweaty but he's working hard. He is drinking plenty and full of beans so doesn't appear to be suffering any adverse effects.

This week he's been schooled once by YO (probably at about 10am so would have been warm then) then I've hacked (1.5hr hilly with plenty of trot work), done some interval training, schooled then hacked, have a 1hr flat lesson tonight. Tomorrow I'll ride early but only because I have a lot of other stuff on I need to do away from the yard. Will most likely hack for a couple of hours, though been talking about going to the gallops. Sunday have a SJ lesson. Next week will be the same - prob 2 formal schooling sessions, a jump, hacking (which is also schooling) then ODE on Sat. It's not ideal to be hot, sticky and surrounded by flies but I think we've all forgotten what summer is actually like!!

OP, if your horse is standing in the field sweating then why not clip him out? I used to do that with a Welsh D I had.

Hi yep i am considering clipping him , i used to do this with my old mare when it was hot and we were hunt riding, although she wasnt so affected by the heat as my new lad seems to be lol(prob cos hes a man) hehe:rolleyes:

I have managed to move him to a better shaded field and he was much better last night so we managed a 30 min schooling session before we both decided we had done enough (had to peel my clothes off)

def think clipping him is the way forward (although will need to invest in a fly sheet to keep the sun off his freshly clipped skin and the flies away) i am also going to lunge him minus tack so at least he is getting some exercise, other problem i have is he absolutely detests water so sponging him off afterwards is always a challenge :rolleyes: however i myself am happy to get under the hosepipe lol.

My lad is only young yet so not doing anything that warrants him being super fit, hoping he will aclimatise the older he gets lol.;)

Victoria25

Visit site
I've also given my two a week or two off and we spend our time eating ice cream and sunbathing in the field instead ... not sure if thats for their sake or mine ;) x

Antw23uk

Visit site
I'm riding in the evening after 1900 but on and off since this hot weather but thats because I'm not enjoying it and he is just getting eaten alive by horseflies ... I've never seen so many horseflies in my life where we are now :mad:

I think its a personal preference but IMO I dont think its right to be riding midday in this heat at the moment but each there own!

Queenbee

Visit site
Im loving the weather, and I'm using it to my advantage :D I try not to ride until after about 6pm, which means I am having some lovely evening rides which I really enjoy, in addition beastie has never been too keen on baths, he really hates hose pipes and it was up until this weather as much as I could do to get him to let me hose his front legs off... And that always ended with a stroppy Bolshy ned :(. Now however, he is really enjoying the hose on a sprinkle attachment after a ride and I can do his legs, neck, back, tummy etc and he stands there loving it :)

No complaints from me on the weather :D