TO Jump or not to Jump?

3Beasties

Visit site
I was hoping to go to a little jumping competition tomorrow, it would be my first one with my mare who is a 6 year old.

The problem is I haven't jumped since my lesson 3 weeks ago. I had planned to jump her at home this week but the ground has been to wet and slippy.

She is a fairly brave jumper usually and we would stick to the smaller classes if we went but I think I may be asking for trouble taking her with not much preperation. The other part of me thinks I am just looking for an excuse to wimp out!

Thoughts please?

Sheep

Visit site
Go for it. Take it easy in the warm up and if you're having problems you can always re-evaluate, at least in any case it's more experience getting her out somewhere. Due to rubbish weather lately my bf is in a similar situation eith his mare, we have been doing lots of flatwork but ground not suitable for jumping on. If it dries out today I will pop her over a few in preparation but if not he will just take it easy with her tomorrow.

nix123

Visit site
Depends if the competition is on grass or surface. Is ther any chance you could pop her over a few low cross poles at home first? You could get there early and take advantage of the warm up arena and make your mind up then.

LFD

Visit site
Go for it - I don't jump my 6yo WB at home much due to limited facilities but compete him or take him to schooling nights and use them as my practice! As long are you are relaxed and only do as much as you feel on the day is right there is no harm!

Asha

Visit site
I would say go for it.

get there early so you can have a play in the warm up. If alls going well, go into the show. Then just jump one fence at a time ( if you know what I mean !!)

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

horsesforcourses

Visit site
Go for it, it its at Kings.....I'm going there tomorrow, taking 16.2, 4 yr old. First time in an indoor for him, but would still find the 1'9 cl round jumping too small. Have rung, and they are more than happy for me to pay clear round price in perhaps the 2'3, and then enter classes afterwards. Beauty there, is the warm up also on surface, so no worries on footing. Fingers crossed that Hugo likes the look of himself in all the mirrors....:0 !!

3Beasties

Visit site
Thanks all, you've helped convince me too go! Think I was just getting cold feet not helped by the fact that she's been spooky and sharp for the last couple of days. Normal service resumed today though so all is good :)

I'm slightly worried about the warm up but hopefully she'll be OK!

Go for it, it its at Kings.....I'm going there tomorrow, taking 16.2, 4 yr old. First time in an indoor for him, but would still find the 1'9 cl round jumping too small. Have rung, and they are more than happy for me to pay clear round price in perhaps the 2'3, and then enter classes afterwards. Beauty there, is the warm up also on surface, so no worries on footing. Fingers crossed that Hugo likes the look of himself in all the mirrors....:0 !!

Yes I'm going to Kings :D That's such a good idea, I may do the same, was going to do two classes but would feel happier if I could jump the 2'3" as a clear round first (That way if she won't settle in the warm up I can use the CR as a warm up!).

What colour is your beastlet? No doubt you'll spot me so come and say hi if you do :)