To those two out hacking just now

Moya_999

Visit site
Well the lead horse on the large grey not the one behind (who did acknowledge me).

How about you spend more time watching the road ahead and not text a way on your phone, never even raising your head as I passed you, totally oblivious to cars and traffic around you. Just thank your lucky stars I am a horsey person and slowed right down instead of zooming past in the very narrow country lane. What is so important that you need to ride along texting away?? surely it could wait?

Your lucky was not pulling my noisy trailer and hit a pot hole which would then possibly make your horse bolt or spook. Would it really hurt to wait till you got back to the yard?? I don't want your stupidity on my conscience and your horse possibly dead (heading down to a major 50 mph + road)

There is a saying don't text and drive ..... well don't text and ride either

Rant over......................

Last edited:

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I had two yesterday a girl on a coloured cob and a woman mid 40's on a hunter type... not one said thankyou! No wonder other non horsey people get peed off and zoom past!! And when I want to hack out and say thankyou I get the rude moterists!

Grrr makes my blood boil, manners cost nothing! Felt like winding the window down and saying THANKYOU!!!!!!!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I never get this type of thread , as a driver you slow down for vulnerable road users because it's the law that you deal with them in the safest way you can as a driver and because it's common sense .
If they thank you it's nice if they don't nothing is any different .
I really don't get this drivers are bad because the odd rider does not acknowledge them thing they are bad because they are bad drivers full stop they are in charge of their behaviour not any one else .

BeingKate

Visit site
I never get this type of thread , as a driver you slow down for vulnerable road users because it's the law that you deal with them in the safest way you can as a driver and because it's common sense .
I really don't get this drivers are bad because the odd rider does not acknowledge them thing they are bad because they are bad drivers full stop they are in charge of their behaviour not any one else .

I think it just gives riders a bad name. If a rider doesn't thank me, it makes me (in my head) really not want to bother slowing down next time I see them. I do of course because I am aware of the risks and I care for the horse. If you are NTO horsey and you overtake people who don't thank you, then often they will think, well why should I bother next time?!

I will always thank drivers - if I'm unable to take my hands off the reins for some reason then I will give an exaggerated nod, probably look silly but at the same time at least it will be obvious! A smile and a mouthed "thank you" goes a long way too.

Lifes too short, there's many an idiot out on the road and if you can smile and thank someone then maybe, just maybe, that person will remember that the next time they pass a horse and slow down even more... plus it just makes the world a nicer place when people are pleasant, doesn't it :)

loopy3585

Visit site

I don't think the OP was posting about the fact that they didn't say thank you but that they were more interesting in texting while riding along a rode which is dangerous. Like the OP said you aren't allowed to text and drive because your attention is taken away from the road so why should it be okay just because you are on Horse back?

3OldPonies

Visit site
I think it just gives riders a bad name. If a rider doesn't thank me, it makes me (in my head) really not want to bother slowing down next time I see them. I do of course because I am aware of the risks and I care for the horse. If you are NTO horsey and you overtake people who don't thank you, then often they will think, well why should I bother next time?!

I will always thank drivers - if I'm unable to take my hands off the reins for some reason then I will give an exaggerated nod, probably look silly but at the same time at least it will be obvious! A smile and a mouthed "thank you" goes a long way too.

Lifes too short, there's many an idiot out on the road and if you can smile and thank someone then maybe, just maybe, that person will remember that the next time they pass a horse and slow down even more... plus it just makes the world a nicer place when people are pleasant, doesn't it :)

^^^^ This

Also, when I was learning to ride and we went on hacks if we didn't thank drivers we used to really get it in the neck when we got back. Our instructor may have had her faults - not that I knew what they were back then, I thought the sun shone from her backside at the time - but bad manners to motorists wasn't one of them. We had it well and truly drummed into us that drivers should be thanked. Now that there aren't so many RS who take to the road, perhaps new and future riders are missing this bit of education?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Whilst I do acknowledge drivers, I do also use my phone while I'm hacking. I know my horse really couldn't care less about traffic - yes, even your rattly trailer wouldn't bother him... Really not your problem!

Bede

Visit site
About texting while riding, and texting while driving- horses generally know where they are going, and can avoid obstacles on their own initiative; cars don't , and can't. Still probably not the best idea to do it in traffic though

OWLIE185

Visit site
Roads are becoming ever more dangerous environments for horse riders as less motorists are used to meeting horses on the roads and fail to know what to do. Unfortunately most drivers of motorised vehicles sadly do not have any common sense either! Cars are also far faster and quieter which increases the potential dangers for horse riders riding on the roads.
I don't care how safe a horse is .....I would suggest that horse riders need to be fully in control of their horse at all times and be fully concentration on what is going on around them rather than on their mobile devices.
Thanking motorists will encourage them to slow down for the next horse rider they come across.

Rouletterose

Visit site
Whilst I do acknowledge drivers, I do also use my phone while I'm hacking. I know my horse really couldn't care less about traffic - yes, even your rattly trailer wouldn't bother him... Really not your problem!

If you are riding a horse along a busy road then you are responsible for that horse and what it is doing and where it is going, it's no different to driving a car, you are responsible, it's nice that your horse really couldn't care less about traffic....how nice for you to have that knowledge, but the driver of the car,lorry, motorbike doesn't know that do they?

If I was driving down the road...any road... I would slow down for any horse because I do not have the luxury of knowing whether that horse is good in traffic or not. I am happy to say 95% of riders have the courtesy to say thankyou.

If I am passing a rider using their mobile phone whilst riding am I then to assume that their horse is bombproof? therefore I can drive on at normal speed and not pass wide? because they must be nuts to be on their phone whilst riding a horse that can be unpredictable.

Also just to finish your answer of 'Really not your problem' is a bit stupid and selfish dont you think? it certainly would be my problem if your horse ended up on my bonnet or roof because just for once and totally unpredictably you got it wrong.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Just a random query. When riding on a road with a constant stream of traffic passing how many drivers do you/should you acknowledge? All of them/just the ones not passing closely at 60mph/the ones who slow down slightly/the ones who give some space/the ones who slow down to a reasonable speed/the ones who slow down to a crawl and then speed off when halfway past?

AmieeT

Visit site
Thanking motorists will encourage them to slow down for the next horse rider they come across.

This is my opinion, too. Yes, my horse is brilliant in traffic even if they don't pass wide and slow, but if I don't acknowledge them they may not do the same for another, assuming that all horses are as good as mine... And one day one might not be.

It's just politeness. The only time I get my phone out is to check the time (because I left my watch at the yard last winter and it froze to death...), and I only do the when the coast is clear!

Ax

fatpiggy

Visit site
If a rider gets involved in an accident with a car, and the driver states the rider was on their mobile phone at the time they can kiss goodbye to their insurance (and rightly so). I cannot for the life of me understand this total obsession with mobile phones. Mine is my lifejacket, not my life. It lives in my pocket, or if I'm driving, in my bag on the backseat. If it rings I ignore it. We always used to manage perfectly well without knowing what everyone we knew was doing at any given moment. But then, we used to be able to hold a conversation successfully too.

I was once hacking out on a bomb-proof horse, leading a hack from riding school. I turned around in the saddle to speak to the person immediately behind me and the horse chose that moment to jump from one side of the road clean to the other. I stayed in the saddle ok and we all laughed about it but I could easily have gone out of the side door.

Moya_999

Visit site

Your missing the point Goldenstar.

The point being she was not in control of her horse as she had loose reins and this particular lane is a rat run and people zoom along including large trucks going to ad from the pig farm. If her horse had bolted for any reason the only place it would go is onto the main road where vehicles travel 50 mph (min).

The non saying thankyou was becasue she was texting which in itself is danfgerous and probably renders her insurance void.
The non ty is second in importance and I just think her stupidity of not being in control of her horse should something go wrong. The mottorist no doubt would get the blame.

Moya_999

Visit site

More fool you then if you text and ride and take that risk. I am sure there is *NOTHING* ,pore important that cannot wait till you get back to the yard and if you wear blue tooth if there is an emergengy you can pull over safetly and talk. No horse is 100 % they are fright - flight animals. It should would be my problem or *A* drivers problem if something spooked the horse even it it was not the driver but something else and the horse ended up bolting onto the main road. Nothing is more horrid than the thought of scrapping my horse of the road just baecasue I decided to text.
A horse being hit by a car is not a pretty sight I can tell you. Any bird/dog rushing out can scare a horse, this particular spot is snear a motorbike off roading site and other dangerous scary things.

I am sure insurance is invalid if its proven the riden was texting when an accident happend. I thank a driver or lead driver only if they pull over - beacon me on- and slow down.

Cost £ 0 to say thankyou but could cost a life if you don't.

Moya_999

Visit site
https://www.gov.uk/rules-about-animals-47-to-58/horse-riders-49-to-55

HIGHWAY CODE RULE 53

Before riding off or turning, look behind you to make sure it is safe, then give a clear arm signal.

When riding on the road you should

keep to the left
*** keep both hands on the reins unless you are signalling***
keep both feet in the stirrups
not carry another person
not carry anything which might affect your balance or get tangled up with the reins
keep a horse you are leading to your left
move in the direction of the traffic flow in a one-way street
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.

http://newscenter.equinesite.net/lessonofthemonth/197-dont-text-and-ride.html

Last edited:

Lucyad

Visit site
I've always wondered about thanking drivers when roads are really busy - as in constant stream of cars. I sometimes feel like the queen, riding along one handed waving at them all. Or end up nodding and smiling like someone with a twitch. I have been told that I always look happy when riding along on my horse - no I have a stiff grimace of random thanks!

BeingKate

Visit site
I've always wondered about thanking drivers when roads are really busy - as in constant stream of cars. I sometimes feel like the queen, riding along one handed waving at them all. Or end up nodding and smiling like someone with a twitch. I have been told that I always look happy when riding along on my horse - no I have a stiff grimace of random thanks!

I would thank every driver in a queue, I ended up looking like Churchill the nodding dog but I felt better knowing I'd shown appreciation :)

I also thank drivers that didn't slow down "that" much as I think, "maybe if I acknowledge this driver, he will notice and go slower the next time he gets to a horse".

I will always ignore an idiot that zooms past though... tempting as it is to wave a finger at them and shout abuse, they're in a powerful car and I'd rather they didn't stop, turn around and give me a good hiding!

Moya_999

Visit site
LOL really? It will not cost any lives not to say thank you (two words, by the way, costs nothing to write coherent English either).

I find it very sad you make light of a serious potenticial dangerous thing which is not being in controll of your horse. Just for the record and I was not going to bring this up but since you are making light of this topic. One of the liveries at the riding school I used to go to lost her horse due to texting, he was an ex riding school bomproof cob. Which is why I know its not a pretty sight and this otherwise bomproof horse used to take begineers out.

Oh beam me up snotty! FYI my hands are freezing (doing wet hays). You always have to do this to a thread don't you. Drag it down to the point where your stooping to try correct members post.

If you cannot get the gist of the comments it cost nothing to say thank you but a simple smile or nod of the head.
If a rider did not say thank you then a driver did get annoyed he may think not to slow down next time and it could be a young horses first outing only this time a horse died then it has cost al life.

If you want to act foolishly and text that is your choice but judging on the other comments here you're out on a limb

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
LOL really? It will not cost any lives not to say thank you (two words, by the way, costs nothing to write coherent English either).

Come on jftd, you're a PhD, hasn't anyone told you lately :D? More logic please.

Rider fails to thank driver who has been really considerate, waited to a wider stretch of road even though he is late for a meeting. Rider does not acknowledge him at all. Driver comes to another horse half a mile later, reasonably assumes that it isn't necessary to be so cautious, passes too close and too quick, horse rears, Rider falls on head and dies.

Not an impossible scenario, surely?

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It may not cost YOUR life, but it may cost the life of some innocent late on. If the passing driver (quite rightly) feels a bit miffed that their care and consideration was ignored, they may well not be so careful next time they pass a horse, who may not be as good as yours is.

Politeness and courtesy go a long way in life in general.

If I see a rider hacking on the roads and texting, I just think 'plonker', but I do of course slow down and pass them very carefully, whilst muttering under my breath. Once I was nearly reversed into by a rider whose horse shot backwards off the verge towards my car while she was texting, and she still didn't stop texting while she booted it in the ribs to send it forwards again!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I find it very sad you make light of a serious potenticial dangerous thing which is not being in controll of your horse. Just for the record and I was not going to bring this up but since you are making light of this topic. One of the livereis at the riding school I used to go to lost her horse due to texting, he was an ex riding school bomproof cob. Which is why I know its not a pretty sight and this otherwise bomproof horse used to take begineers out.

horse died from texting? Really?

If you cannot get the gist of the comments it cost nothing to say thank you but a simple smile or nod of the head.

re-read my original comment, dear

If a rider did not say thank you then a driver did get annoyed he may think not to slow down next time and it could be a young horses first outing only this time a horse died then it has cost al life.

No, the driver driving recklessly and possibly the failure of the rider to adequately prepare their horse for roadwork have cost a life. But again, you're arguing with me without having adequately read my original comment :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Come on jftd, you're a PhD, hasn't anyone told you lately :D? More logic please.

Rider fails to thank driver who has been really considerate, waited to a wider stretch of road even though he is late for a meeting. Rider does not acknowledge him at all. Driver comes to another horse half a mile later, reasonable assumes that it isn't necessary to be so cautious, passes to choose and too quick, horse rears, Rider falls on head and dies.

Not an impossible scenario, surely?

That's not logic - that's supposition :)

It may not cost YOUR life, but it may cost the life of some innocent late on. If the passing driver (quite rightly) feels a bit miffed that their care and consideration was ignored, they may well not be so careful next time they pass a horse, who may not be as good as yours is.

Politeness and courtesy go a long way in life in general.

If I see a rider hacking on the roads and texting, I just think 'plonker', but I do of course slow down and pass them very carefully, whilst muttering under my breath. Once I was nearly reversed into by a rider whose horse shot backwards off the verge towards my car while she was texting, and she still didn't stop texting while she booted it in the ribs to send it forwards again!

Both of you need to read my original comment...

And actually, the DRIVER remains at fault in those scenarios. I've been undercut by many, many bikes will town driving in my car... Would it be acceptable to act aggressively and cause an accident the next time I encounter a cyclist? NOPE. It's my responsibility, it's my car.

Last edited:

Moya_999

Visit site
We forget there are a minority of drivers high on drugs and booze who may take offence at a rider ignoring them. We all train our horses to be as calm on the road, but as I said poor Declan lost his life because something occurred at a time when he was relaxed mooching along and he jumped across the road, and got hit by a car travelling within the speed limit.

For another instance years ago we were travelling along a quiet country lane when all of a sudden a car travelling up behind us on a country lane put on their blues and two's. We had nowhere to go and the police did not see us till they came round the bend. By that time one horse had bolted and mine was rearing up. What I am getting at is no horse is 100% under circumstances like this, so many live in rural areas where this can happen.

As some people say ***** happens when you least expect it.

So its not wise to text and ride unlewss your on a vaulting or rocking horse.

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Have you really got a PhD?

Because I don't subscribe to the theory that we should thank drivers because they "might be drunk or on drugs"?

Yes, I do have a PhD - in science. Not a PhD in wild leaps of imagination. That's how I know the difference between logic and supposition :)

eta - just in case anyone missed it - I do believe drivers who are considerate should be thanked. I do not agree with the OP's attitude, leaps of imagination, or comments on the use of phones.

cptrayes

Visit site
Logic and supposition are not mutually exclusive jftd, otherwise no-one would be able to play chess where both are required :)

A PhD is a very narrow qualification, it doesn't mean that 'a doctor' has all the answers :)

Out of interest, what's yours actually about?

PS I've got three a levels, I'm not a newt collector. :D

Last edited: