To those who doubted us

PandorasJar

Visit site
As others have said, it's good to check on both ends of the scale for weight... but the simple fact of how different she looks this time around, you obviously care a great deal for her and are smart enough to take on board advice rather than burying your head in the ground, so I have no doubt that your mare will be kept well.

I wouldn't say she's anything to worry about now, but these will be the weeks where they'll start gorging on that lovely grass.

I've had several comments both ways on my horse, very under and very overweight... in reality none of them had actually come and felt my horse, what they'd actually seen was a very fluffy coat covering a horse mid winter that lost slightly too much at one point (while I was being told she was fat) who has now started losing it and suddenly she's underweight (she's slightly over what I'd like!). Horses can be very deceptive without knowing the horse, it's history and actually feeling it.

She looks very happy :)

Pan

fatpiggy

Visit site
Hey there OP, I think this old lady has been transformed by you so well done. She looks so relaxed and happy. As to whether she is a bit over the optimum now, well you know from experience that she can lose weight (!!!) and also that she can gain it so you are in an ideal position to make some small adjustments. It is easy to forget that many horses continue to gain weight for a while after we cut down their intake down. Their bodies are designed to make hay while the sun shines after all. Just reduce her calories a tad and increase her exercise and I'm sure she will be a lovely streamlined shape in no time at all - you have lovely sunny evenings coming up which will make the process much more pleasant. Lets face it, how many of us could absolutely truthfully say we are at our ideal weight at the moment? I'm on the upper edge of my BMI range apparently but as far as I'm concerned, although I'm only a size 10 and fit in exercise terms, I could lose a stone and not notice it. Unfortunately I'm learning that middle aged spread arrives one day and is incredibly hard to shift! :(

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Interesting read.
OP starts with an invitation to 'Check out this Fat beast '.
JFDT responds with 'Fat isn't the same as good you know.'.

There follows 19 pages of slating JFTD for this, although many other posters refer to Lady as;

Tubby, porky, overweight, portly, a bit cresty, too well covered and 'she is fat'.
As well as numerous references to cushings, laminitis and spring grass.

None of whom are subjected to the same criticism as JFTD.

When the HHO pack decides to swoop its not a quick kill. More fox than hound.

Last edited:

millitiger

Visit site
For those saying my comments are offensive, I really think you're on a different planet. It was fine for you all to gang up on the OP last year when you judged her mare's condition (from photos) to be unacceptably poor. If someone even suggests that fat isn't right either and that the mare is overweight they are rude and sarky and unable to judge from photos though :confused:

I have read and re-read my comments and I think the reaction to my comments was far "sarkier" and ruder than my comments in the first place. I also notice that most of those who chose to comment about them are people who have disliked my opinions on other threads recently :rolleyes:

Maybe I am on a different planet then.

I never got involved in the furore when the mare was thin so please don't lump anyone who criticised you into 'you all.'

I also don't remember disliking your opinion on other threads at any time, let alone recently?
I admit that recently, I have read some of your comments and thought they had a rather snide undertone but that is not disliking your OPINION, just the delivery of it.

I have probably been one of the most vocal on this thread in replies to you and have rewritten my comments numerous times to try and keep them very polite- if you are reading them as sarky then maybe it just highlights that what we read in our own posts is not what other people read and how tone can be misconstrued??

Please don't group everyone who disagrees with your delivery together as 'sheep.'
I try and stay out of bitching and petty arguments on here and have sat on my hands before, but I just think you were rude to someone unnecessarily and for some reason, last night, I got off my hands!

I don't actually want to put you on IU, 1. because it can make reading the forum quite disjointed and 2. because as said before, I don't dislike your opinions, just the way they are phrased.

millitiger

Visit site
Interesting read.

There follows 19 pages of slating JFDT for this, although many other posters refer to Lady as;

Tubby, porky, overweight, portly, a bit cresty, too well covered and 'she is fat'.

None of whom are subjected to the same criticism as JFDT.

And as said again (and again and again and again!) it's not the opinion but the way it was phrased.

I'm not part of any pack, if you think that then please feel free to have a quick look through my posting history- as said before, I rarely get involved in this sort of thing as, frankly, its not what I am on HHO for.

mollichop

Visit site
Everything else aside Jadey, I honestly did think there was something underlying with your mare when you last updated as she was consistantly dropping condition despite you making improvements to her routine.

However, you have turned her around so really well done for moving her and for coming back as you said you would to update.

Yes, she could do with being a bit leaner but that will come with work - good for you - you have made a good start, now manage her carefully! :)

FionaM12

Visit site
Interesting read.

There follows 19 pages of slating JFTD for this, although many other posters refer to Lady as;

None of whom are subjected to the same criticism as JFTD.

I've only just come across this thread, and haven't time to read it all. But I'm also startled at what seemed to be a complete over-reaction to JFDT's post. Especially when people got so personal and nasty towards her.

I've been around this forum about six months, often using it for advice. I would have described JFDT as helpful, knowledgable, maybe sometimes a little abrupt (as here) but also witty and friendly. Yet a whole gang of you seem glad of an opportunity to have a huge go at her.

Really unpleasant reading. :(

Flame_

Visit site
I've only just come across this thread, and haven't time to read it all. But I'm also startled at what seemed to be a complete over-reaction to JFDT's post. Especially when people got so personal and nasty towards her.

I've been around this forum about six months, often using it for advice. I would have described JFDT as helpful, knowledgable, maybe sometimes a little abrupt (as here) but also witty and friendly. Yet a whole gang of you seem glad of an opportunity to have a huge go at her.

Really unpleasant reading. :(

This OP posted because she is rightly very proud to have followed advice from HHO members and has turned around what looked like a poor, down and even poorly horse into a healthy looking, shiny, happy one and the first response she received was a snide comment picking fault. I like JFDT too but she's asked for and deserved everything she's got on this particular thread. :mad:

Lady La La

Visit site
I admit that recently, I have read some of your comments and thought they had a rather snide undertone but that is not disliking your OPINION, just the delivery of it.

This.
What you say may at times hold merit JFTD, but I for one am sick of the sarcasm that surrounds it, and the over exaggerated use of these :rolleyes::eek:;) with every post that you make.
Delivering opinions is fine, but there are ways and means of doing so without offending people.

The first time that Jade posted pictures of Lady looking poor, she was not jumped on by the majority, in fact it was only after people had gone out of their way again and again to give advice and help (both over the forum and in person) only to find that the mares condition never improved, that people started to get concerned. I'm happy to admit that I gave Jade a particularly hard time, and I think I even recall telling her that I didn't think moving yards was going to change anything regarding her mares weight, and that I expected to see her horse looking very poor following this winter.
I can't tell you how thrillied I am that Jade has come back here and proved me wrong and the last thing I want to happen is for her to read various comments on here and stop feeding her mare for fears it's going to drop down dead with laminitis any second. As stated above, there are ways of giving opinions and advice in a much more constructive manner.

Some people seem to forget that not everyone is as clever and clued up and knowledgeable on all aspects of horse care as they are.

As I've already said, well done for turning your mare around Jade. You've been given some great advice on this thread, and I'm sure by now you have worked out which posters to go to if you feel that you may require any more.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Op- I haven't commented earlier because i'm new & don't know the history but from what i've gathered from this thread, well done & I don't have anything to add to the good advice already given, good luck for the future.
As for the whole argument over jftd, I fail to see what the big issue is? Whilst her reply might have been blunt I didn't see it as rude at all. I can only conclude some posters must be on the lookout for a reason to argue with her. Sorry about the hi-jack op, if its any help, I always aim for a horse to be lean enough to just see the vague outline of a rib or 2 when they stretch coming into spring & let them gain enough over summer so they are on the slightly too good side coming into winter. Much easier than restricting grazing loads or struggling to keep it on over winter.

bensababy

Visit site
What a shame a thread like this has turned the way it has. OP posted pics at how proud she was of turning her mare from what she looked like to now.. ok she is a bit porkier than need be - but OP seems well aware of that and will take steps to address that.

And now true to form people turn it personal and start getting sly digs in, to be honest i dont see how JFTD comments are any different/nastier to what was posted on OPs original thread about her skinny mare? But hey ho..each to their own.

scarymare

Visit site
OMG what a load of CRAP.

WELL DONE OP. Very kind winter but your mare looks fab. Don't listen to the muppets who are critical. Cushins my **** didn't know computers were so advanced they could do diagnostics like that.

Are JFTD and the rest of the 'weight police' all slim ladies with perfect BMI's?

Ah, no didn't think so - double standards methinks.

Your mare is very lucky to have a caring owner. I only hope you won't be reactive to these comments and end up with an over thin horse again.

x x .

Littlelegs

Visit site
Scarymare- I think it is somewhat misleading to the op to imply her horse condition is comparative to humans. If a human is underweight or overweight they have the choice to do something about it. A horse relies on their owner. Another point is that people on the plump side going into spring aren't likely to gain more weight because of the seasonal improvement of grazing, nor do they suffer from lami. I think the concern has been based on the time of year, rather than the mare being particularly large.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Scarymare- I think it is somewhat misleading to the op to imply her horse condition is comparative to humans. If a human is underweight or overweight they have the choice to do something about it. A horse relies on their owner. Another point is that people on the plump side going into spring aren't likely to gain more weight because of the seasonal improvement of grazing, nor do they suffer from lami. I think the concern has been based on the time of year, rather than the mare being particularly large.

+1 human condition has absolutely nothing to do with an animals condition.

Most people here have agreed that an overweight horse is not ideal just like an underweight one. The advice has been put out to be careful at this time of year and that her mare is looking good. It would be irresponsible not to say it and JaL is obviously someone who takes on board sensible advice and cares for her mare.

Pan

smokey

Visit site
Is is just horse people that are sooooo bitchy?? Or people in general! What happened to offering people advice in a nice way? Or saying something positive to someone? Did it all get replaced with sarcasim! There must be some perfect people in here who's horses are all in top condition, perfectly schooled and who can ride to the highest standard possible ;) you have to wonder how happy they are with their lives when criticism seems to be the only thing they can offer.

^ totally agree with every word of this. Cannot for the life of me work out what people gain from being nasty to others, what must their lives be like if this is how they get their kicks? I think the horse in the pics looks fine, dont know the history, but sounds like Jadey has worked hard to get where she is now, and no-one has the right to slate her for that.

Arizahn

Visit site
Sorry if I'm confused, it's a very long thread:eek:

The mare in question is older, yes I understand that bit. But she is a thoroughbred too (I think?), so I would expect her to be a little slimmer than she is. Nice to see that she isn't underweight of course, but like me she could stand to lose a little!

Good luck getting her into shape, OP. I think I may start a thread of my own and ask if people can advise me on the Hippo...I'm concerned she has done too well over winter.

misst

Visit site
Well first of all it seems you DID listen to everyone so sorry I doubted you and well done for turning her round.:)
Second - yep she is fat!!! But so is my oldie at the moment and I have problems as her weight does fluctuate and she drops very suddenly. She has cushings and I do try and watch her but at the same time she is 28 and retired and lives to eat so it is fibre fibre fibre only with lo cal balancer and poor grass (but she is out 24/7).

I would rather see her like this than so poor as she was before.
So well done Jade and Lady. I wonder if, like my oldie Lady may yet drop. Mine drops right about now some years and I don't know why - and I would rather see her looking well even with the associated risks than poor.

Marydoll

Visit site
Well jadey, you must be pleased that it isn't you getting a slating on this thread at least!

I'm so sorry to have offended half the forum apparently, but I would rather be hated for speaking out when I don't agree than be a forum sheep...

Firstly nobody has said they hated you, secondly, because others have disagreed with you theyre all forum sheep ..... And you wonder why people find your comments rude and your tone offensive !
I cant believe this is still rumbling on today

hackedoff

Visit site
[
542507_10150749411122743_662877742_11450009_1127975362_n.jpg

I particularly like the fact that your lovely mare has chosen to premept any comments about her by sticking her tongue out!!!!

Well done for getting her thorugh the winter she looks really good its not easy with a golden oldie is it! I do hope to see more pictures of her through this year.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Firstly nobody has said they hated you, secondly, because others have disagreed with you theyre all forum sheep ..... And you wonder why people find your comments rude and your tone offensive !
I cant believe this is still rumbling on today

And yet here you are still dragging it back up! I'm pretty sure JFTD gets the point now. I know she is more than capable of sticking up for herself and doesn't need my help but really, don't you think enough is enough.

She may have been blunt with the OP but some , certainly not all of the replies she has received have been out and out rude. I'm pretty sure implying she is over weight and should look after her own ponies better (she isn't fat and nor are her horses, I've met her and them) is just below the belt.

Can't we all just get along? Pretty please. It's spring, the weather is lovely, it's far too nice to be going at each other.

Peace and love dudes, peace and love :D

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I'm fairly slim and a real obsesser over fat horses, but in this instance, after the struggles with Lady's weight and it's refusal to improve upwards, I'm quite pleased to see her in this shape. I have added the 'be careful it doesn't carry on to explosion' warning, but I'm not at all concerned at this stage.

Kat

Visit site
Well done Jade :D

Having struggled with a poor doer this winter I can sympathise with your battle to get Lady to a decent weight.

You are best placed to know whether she is fat or not as you can get your hands on and feel her ribs, hips and crest. But I would rather have a poor doer looking a little on the well side just in case as they can drop so easily but are much more difficult to build up.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Just wanted to say to Jade that I did doubt she would be able to keep weight on the mare over winter, and I was wrong too! Well done! I do still worry a little about Cushings but that is probably because it is very fresh in my mind since my old mare was recently diagnosed with it and due to Lady's age and dipped back. Just keep it in mind, especially if she gets at all footy. But I think she looks great. So well done.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Jadey, a huge well done to you! Lady is looking so much better and has a spark in her eye again! You should be very proud of yourself. You received a bashing before and yet you took on everyones advice and have turned Lady around.

Don't worry too much about her being a tad on the tubby side. As you have already mentioned, feed will stop and exercise will begin shortly which is the right way to do it :)

Please don't let the negative comments get to you, as I (and a lot of other members) would love to see an update in a month or 2 when she is in work!

Good luck x

Kadastorm

Visit site
Wow, HHO never fails to amuse me. Many people think their way is the correct way/they know better blah blah blah.

Hey if you think that pony is fat, you should come and see a couple of our coblets, actually they are obese. no we are not proud but im telling you they live off air, even with alot of exercise and little to no grass/hay/food, they are still huge. No one is perfect and no horses are perfect.

Jadey, you have done a grand job! she looks lovely, you should be proud.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Well done Jade..she looks bloomin` great! Perfect,of course she needs watching in May/June July..but I am sure you know that already..well well done!:D