To those who make hay, hows it going?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Dry spell finally forecast, but our land is still very wet after weeks of rain. The yield looks good compared to last year's feeble offering, but that's no good if we can't get it made and in the barn.

Hay is due to be cut tomorrow. It was wet last night and I want to it be as dry as possible on the stalk before cutting. There is actually a sodden low lying patch in the hay field that we'll have to work around, I don't remember that actually having lying water before during hay making.

*starts gnawing at nails*

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Dry spell finally forecast, but our land is still very wet after weeks of rain. The yield looks good compared to last year's feeble offering, but that's no good if we can't get it made and in the barn.

Hay is due to be cut tomorrow. It was wet last night and I want to it be as dry as possible on the stalk before cutting. There is actually a sodden low lying patch in the hay field that we'll have to work around, I don't remember that actually having lying water before during hay making.

*starts gnawing at nails*
Farmer friend is planning on giving his a good 48 hrs to dry stalks better - as we had torrential stuff last night with local flooding, so likely to be cutting Thursday, fingers crossed ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
was so slow to start growing here. Now looking good, forecast for the next week is hot and dry... and OH's mate was faffing with big tractor last night and dropped a nut into the gearbox :eek::eek::eek: talk about horrendous timing, they were up all night in the peeing rain trying to retrieve it with no joy, am hoping for better news tonight. Urghhhh. i think little tractor will run the smaller mower and I know it can do the tedder cos I did that last year in it. but need the big one for the round baler/wrapper. Nightmare timing.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Farmer says later this week and bale on Saturday. Six acres of mixed with some rye - we don’t keep it. Last year they got 28 bales off it, I think there will be more this year. We then just go and collect a bale when we need it, I think we had five last year.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Farmer friend is planning on giving his a good 48 hrs to dry stalks better - as we had torrential stuff last night with local flooding, so likely to be cutting Thursday, fingers crossed ?
I've just been up to check the hay field after a good drying day - sunny and windy.

The hay itself is dry enough, but the soil is still wet to the touch :oops:. Never made hay on wet soil before. Dithering about whether to delay the cut, or to just go ahead and hope that the promised hot weather dries it all up if we keep turning it...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've just been up to check the hay field after a good drying day - sunny and windy.

The hay itself is dry enough, but the soil is still wet to the touch :oops:. Never made hay on wet soil before. Dithering about whether to delay the cut, or to just go ahead and hope that the promised hot weather dries it all up if we keep turning it...
Yup, we did a pitch inspection late afternoon.
He reckons the 100 acres ought to wait till Saturday for cutting, as could get soil up the stems from the sodden ground.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
We ended up having to cut ours a couple of weeks ago - earlier than we wanted but some practical requirements forced the matter. The crop didn't have as long in the field to dry as I'd have liked, but it's smelling good and with good ventilation, the stack never got hot. It was a bumper crop too - I bet all yours will be massive with an extra couple of weeks!

After that heavy rain, I'd personally avoid cutting tomorrow if possible, but we all know that haymaking is rarely ideal and a few days of solid sunshine will dry it out nicely I'm sure.

05jackd

Visit site
After the torrential rain we hope to get another dry day tomorrow and then cut Thursday. Just praying the forecast stays good to give us a little leeway with baling contractors.

tiggipop

Visit site
My chap messaged to say hopefully mow today. Fingers crossed as I was getting a little worried about the weather but forecast now good (a bit too hot for me!)

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Aiming to cut ours over the next few days! Just need to make sure there’s somebody available to bale it!
much better yield than last year, however we did fertilise it for the first time in forever

Antw23uk

Visit site
Attempting to cut by the end of the week. The downpour last night was frustrating! ITs ready to cut, more than ready really and my first time doing my own so I'm now paranoid about it.

Anyone advise about the grass thats fallen over and laying pretty flat? does it become a pain to cut, can it be cut, will it? any advise much appreciated.

holeymoley

Visit site
Our guy says we should get a good cut this year. He's already got the first 100 or so in and baled. I think he's doing the rest this week as it's forecast a long sunny spell over the next week. I'm not fussed on amazing quality, as long as it's mould and dust free I'm happy! I analyse and soak it anyway.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Cutting as i type. Glad i answered the call ... 'Ello, here to cut your fields and gates are locked' ..... yeah they would be, i keep them locked when i have no plans, thanks for letting me know, im on my way home now, do not go anywhere, lol!

So he is cutting, im very excited, my first year doing hay off my own land :)

Finlib

Visit site
Cut yesterday not much rain here for last week bit of misty drizzle but dry Sunday Monday and Tuesday. Really warm drying day today forecast looks excellent should be baled Saturday

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
sending "well behaved kit" vibes your way TP.
OH was swearing about the round baler yesterday but it's running well today. Just been to deliver some more wrap and then I can leave them to it again, phew. Small bales in the field at home this afternoon. Small baler has already had a run as he did some for a client last month so hopefully all the niggles have already been worked out.... TONS of grass, hurrah.