Tokyo Eventing Cross Country

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Awful news this morning about Jet Set - desperately sad for his rider and all connections.

It’s a very bleak reminder of just how dangerous this sport can get, regardless of how experienced/good you are.

It was still an amazing night; I’m glad I sat up for it. I’m so proud of team GB for pulling off three safe, stunning rounds.

tda

Visit site
I happened to wake up and the tv was still on so watched quite a few runs, there were 3 I think that pulled up, one was 3 fences from home, such a shame for them.
How many don't finish in a usual event?

elizabeth1

Visit site
on iplayer i went to "all olympics", day 9 and then the timeslot that was like midnight to 4am.

on discovery you should be able to find it by searching by olympics/equestrian and then scrolling down to the "latest" section.
Thank you.
bbc works but not discovery until this evening apparently….

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have a love hate relationship with Oliver. I don’t admire his methods sometimes, but I can’t deny his talent and drive as a rider. At this point I would be gutted if he didn’t win as he’s been absolutely superb so far.

How very sad about the horse. What team was it? I can’t remember. We didn’t see what happened, did we? Or was I flicking channels/internet pages at that point?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have a love hate relationship with Oliver. I don’t admire his methods sometimes, but I can’t deny his talent and drive as a rider. At this point I would be gutted if he didn’t win as he’s been absolutely superb so far.

How very sad about the horse. What team was it? I can’t remember. We didn’t see what happened, did we? Or was I flicking channels/internet pages at that point?
it was the last swiss horse. an unrepairable ligament injury going on the reports coming out today :(

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I noticed Discovery said the stream was available until 1st August last night. I thought it was strange as the Olympic dressage was saying it was available for a month.

Wishfilly

Visit site

The final Swiss rider. I don't believe we saw it as I think it must have happened at almost the same time as the Japanese rider unfortunately falling at the drop. I remember being confused at the time, thinking initially the hold was so the Japanese combination could get off course, and then realising something else must have happened when I saw them putting the screens up in the background.

I think Oli has made some mistakes in the past, but I also think people seem to hold his mistakes against him more so than they do with other riders, sometimes. I think he has been superb so far, and I really hope he manages to jump clear tomorrow!

timbobs

Visit site
I fell asleep last night but caught up on discovery this morning so I’m not sure why it’s not working for some people.

I enjoyed reading along with your commentary as I watched :)

So awful about Jet Set, the whole team must be devastated.

Tomorrow is going to be exciting!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think Oli has made some mistakes in the past, but I also think people seem to hold his mistakes against him more so than they do with other riders, sometimes. I think he has been superb so far, and I really hope he manages to jump clear tomorrow!
yep agreed. from reading some interviews with him, he's also had to be fairly steely and unsentimental in order to make eventing work as a business and possibly that is hard for some people to relate to. but that's not incompatible with being a great horseman. i think he comes across much "softer" in interviews now, his PR has gone up a notch.

Wishfilly

Visit site
yep agreed. from reading some interviews with him, he's also had to be fairly steely and unsentimental in order to make eventing work as a business and possibly that is hard for some people to relate to. but that's not incompatible with being a great horseman. i think he comes across much "softer" in interviews now, his PR has gone up a notch.

His PR has definitely improved!

Just watched his interview on the BBC, very polished.

I used to like it when he wore his heart on his sleeve a little more!

But he has done so well so far, I really hope it happens for him!

DiNozzo

Visit site
I'm watching the BBC coverage now (I'm too old to be up all night), and Alex is soooo good at press! I haven't seen much of him but he's very good at making it easy for people who don't know about the sport.

Can we have him in the commentary box at Badminton or Burghley? With Harry? ?

Also, Rishi is excellent too, given I don't think he usually covers horses?

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm watching the BBC coverage now (I'm too old to be up all night), and Alex is soooo good at press! I haven't seen much of him but he's very good at making it easy for people who don't know about the sport.

Can we have him in the commentary box at Badminton or Burghley? With Harry? ?

Also, Rishi is excellent too, given I don't think he usually covers horses?
Rishi was great! I liked that JJ asked questions too, I thought they made it a bit more accessible for people who maybe don't know about horses.

dreams579

Visit site
Is it just the one sj round to decide both team and individual Titles? I seem to remember in sone past olympics that they had to jump off a second time for the individual medals?

TPO

Visit site
So I'm the laziest of the all nighters. Literally just woken up at 10.54, they really are magic sheets!

Very sad to read the news about Jet Set. Thoughts are with all of his connections. How absolutely heartbreaking.

The Thai horse looked to completely knuckle over so I hope that it's ok too along with all of the other horses.

Just going barge on in there and talk about OT because he is an eventer at the olympics and this is then Olympic eventing thread.

There is no denying his ability but some of what he's said and done in public has been questionable.

"That" Badminton was the final straw for many; both in terms of his riding and his interview afterwards. He lost at least one sponsor because of it so it did have repercussions and wasnt just the soft touch armchair critics who were a bit horrified by what we saw.

To make a living, never mind make it to the top, of any sport requires a very strong drive and mentality. I think this is often overlooked or considered arrogance but if you didn't have that level of self belief I don't know how you get up and train every day.

However as discussed on the other Olympic threads equestrian sports all require "using" an animal. Sadly that means putting them in danger as the loss of Jet Set has sadly demonstrated. I guess that's why so many want to see a good relationship with, and respect shown to, the horse regardless of the pressures that a rider is put under.

Since "that" Badminton everything, publically, has changed when watching OT. He's nearly always had fit horses but they've looked even fitter, his riding looks more of a partnership and he has delivered good interviews.

Mud sticks but publically he is doing a good job of changing opinions about him. The ultimate soft touch here but I thought it was really nice to see him get off and step away from his horse after xc then make and effort to squeeze back in past the grooms to give the horse another pat as he went past. It certainly didn't look put on for the cameras.

I thought he rode a superb round and since that Badminton he's really raised his game. Hopefully this is his redemption and this becomes the only version of OT that we think of because he truly deserves all of the accolades for how he has ridden so far.

Here endth this mornings brain dump. Its 11.22 so I truly am the slowest phone typer in HHO!

DiNozzo

Visit site
He's nearly always had fit horses but they've looked even fitter, his riding looks more of a partnership and he has delivered good interviews.

Mud sticks but publically he is doing a good job of changing opinions about him. The ultimate soft touch here but I thought it was really nice to see him get off and step away from his horse after xc then make and effort to squeeze back in past the grooms to give the horse another pat as he went past. It certainly didn't look put on for the cameras.

I thought he rode a superb round and since that Badminton he's really raised his game. Hopefully this is his redemption and this becomes the only version of OT that we think of because he truly deserves all of the accolades for how he has ridden so far.

Here endth this mornings brain dump. Its 11.22 so I truly am the slowest phone typer in HHO!

I agree, I was just thinking that Ballaghmor Class looks a completely different shape to the one we saw at that Badminton.

ETA: Not trying to say he was in bad shape then at all, just that he is soo much fitter and stronger now, with age and more 5* runs.