Tokyo Showjumping thread

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I dont bury my head at all about horse ownership in general.
Some of the countries competing today would not compete at that level other than at the Olympics. Yes they would compete but not at that level so I stand by my original point.
They have to compete at that level to qualify and compete. They have to have gained enough points at FEI ranking shows. Where the courses are *supposed* to be up to standard.

MouseInLux

Visit site
I live in Luxemburg, we had a rider qualify for the Olympics. He wasn’t sent and I’m so glad he didn’t go because I can’t see him making it around these courses. I’m not sure if the qualifiers were really there to weed out the riders who can ride these tracks.

greenbean10

Visit site
The green/yellow/red scores thing I think relates to faults to that fence - green is clear, yellow is front rail, red is back rail.

John Kyle said the other say the front rails are on shallower yellow cups.

I don’t think this is right as it’s the same symbols for the vertical fences. I assumed it was green clear, amber is a fence down and red is a stop.

Mule

Visit site
I wonder is it the pressure of being in the Olympics that causes some riders to make mistakes that they ordinarily wouldn't.

Reactions: Kat

TGM

Visit site
Approximate times for GB showjumpers today:

Holly Smith and Denver: fourth to go, approximately 7.07pm local time (11.07am British time)
Harry Charles and Romeo 88: 14th to go, approximately 7.32pm local time (11.32am British time)
Ben Maher and Explosion W: will jump after the break and their starting position will depend on Britain’s faults to this point, but likely to start sometime between 8.10pm and 8.30pm local time (between 12.10pm and 12.30pm British time)

Kat

Visit site
I'm likely to miss the action live and will have to catch up later, I have got a lesson. I hope the discussion continues.

@Bellaboo18 I am not a show jumper and don't follow it religiously. Probably like many on here I watch Olympia and HOYS most years but that is about it. I have been paying more attention recently as a relative has started working for a top rider but there isn't much on TV so it is difficult to follow.

It is quite obvious to someone like me that there are problems with the Olympics this time. Problems that I don't recall seeing at London or Rio. Whether it is due to the lack of a drop score, the conditions over there, the number of nations qualifying or Covid related issues I don't know but it is important for horse sport that we ensure the legacy of the games isn't images of crashing falls.

There are plenty of nations, including GB, that have made a good show but some have been scary.

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Thanks for the BBC heads up - was watching on Discovery+ with the sound off ?

Sadly think we’re going to be well out of it now, but also secretly hoping the Swedish get gold, they’ve had such a great week and really lovely rides

Equi

Visit site
What was Laura’s round at the end? I don’t want to scroll back and miss the live action here lol

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
The green/yellow/red scores thing I think relates to faults to that fence - green is clear, yellow is front rail, red is back rail.

John Kyle said the other say the front rails are on shallower yellow cups.
Yes, you can see the red and yellow cups on the top poles on the fences