Tokyo Showjumping thread

Equi

Visit site
16 live streams sounds like we stand a fair chance of watching a lot of it.
Oooh so it will be on the app too not just ch4 on the telly?

im stuck in the old days this is the first time I’ve actually managed to watch full classes cause I can’t be doing with looking for things ?

Reactions: Kat

Tinsel

Visit site
I don’t know if any of you lot who were able to watch the showjumping how come some of them wearing gloves and others not

TGM

Visit site
Don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but Global Champions have done an interesting podcast with top showjumpers Jos Verlooy and Michael G Duffy plus Global Champions commentator Frederik de Backer (with a remote contribution from Egyptian Olympic showjumper Nayal Nasser). It discusses in depth the pros and cons of the new SJ format, plus whether Egypt were robbed of a place in the team final, the number of women on the team podium, plus other topics such as dealing with pressure, social media abuse etc. Spotify link below:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/36...otify:show:1Q7vf4svbGaBTOlYvrchoA&dl_branch=1

I believe it is also available on Apple Podcasts and Global Champions TV if you have a paid subscription.

Kat

Visit site
I have been slow to catch up but wow, what a final! That was nail biting! Some amazing horses and riding!

I loved the Swedes and I am thrilled they won, but team USA did a great job too. I particularly loved seeing Laura Kraut kissing her horse's nose between rounds ?

Such a shame for our team. Harry did a great job yesterday under a lot of pressure, I hope that we see him again at this level.

I hope some questions will be asked about the format. I am sure there are ways to keep things quick while reducing the pressure to complete.

Kat

Visit site
Good article but it's the same old story isn't it? The equestrian world begging and scraping to be taken seriously and apologising for their very existence.

We do it with road safety and off road access and now with the Olympics.

Why the heck did we grovel around changing the format (to make it more not less confusing) when cycling have the bloody Kiren or whatever that utterly inexplicable race is that even the commentators don't understand, and when multiple sports use drop scores.

Why did we risk safety and welfare to include more nations when we were already including more than many other sports?

Why didn't we tell the IOC to come back and talk to us when they've sorted out diving and artistic swimming?

Instead we risk the reputation of the whole sport with unnecessary changes.

conniegirl

Visit site
and if anyone understands the sport climbing scoring they're a better man than me gunga din ??
Its very easy - 3 disciplines - speed, boulders and lead.
Speed -fastest wins on a known wall

Boulders- 4 unseen challenges and a set time for each challenge, each challenge has 2 points -the zone and the top. Person who gets the most points wins, if people on equal scores then the person who got the most points in the least tries wins.

Lead - unknown wall you have to climb and take the rope up with you and there is a time limit. Person who gets the highest before falling off wins. If multiple make it to the top then fastest of those wins.

Overall score is your placings multiplied. Lowest score wins

E.g. 2nd speed, 6th boulders, 2nd lead = 2x6x2 =24