Too late to clip?

doodle

Visit site
Robin coming back into proper work. His surrogate mum hacked him out yesterday. Just in walk for 30 or 40 mins. He wa behaving but does like to power walk. He was dripping. I did a light short schooling session today and was close to starting to sweat. Is it too late to clip? Complication is it would need to wait till next tues as he is being sedated for teeth and he needs dormosedan to do top of neck. I see little point in paying over £30 for that when being sedated anyway in a week.

ashlingm

Visit site
It might interfere with his summer coat and leave you with lines...so you could either wait until he starts moulting (some of mine have started already!) or clip him now.

If you plan on showing you could do a full clip so you have no lines and the coat will be even :)

JulesRules

Visit site
It's an old wives tail that you ruin their summer coat by clipping this time of year. Mine is really starting to moult now and will be having a full clip in a few weeks otherwise I'll be trying to get the hair off until June!!

doodle

Visit site
Thanks all. Would just give him a full clip. So should avoid potential clip lines. I got him exactly a year ago and he was fully clipped. He is fine until half way up neck then needs sleepy juice. He is quite hairy but lovely and shiney. Won't be showing, will be dressage with me and eventing with Isla.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Robin coming back into proper work. His surrogate mum hacked him out yesterday. Just in walk for 30 or 40 mins. He wa behaving but does like to power walk. He was dripping. I did a light short schooling session today and was close to starting to sweat. Is it too late to clip? Complication is it would need to wait till next tues as he is being sedated for teeth and he needs dormosedan to do top of neck. I see little point in paying over £30 for that when being sedated anyway in a week.

I don't clip after end of January unless cushings or other skin related or if I missed a clip out in December as it messes with the summer coats. Though some little shaggy ponies sometimes needs bibs and bellies as they get hot when working. I do however have a livery who just clipped a dealer clip but this was the only clip he had so he was woolly. Each to their own you can be the judge of that as you know the horse and how he goes in work.

rachk89

Visit site
We (the YO not me really haha) are clipping my horse soon once I get dormosedan for him and everything is coming off. YO knows he will be a pain so best to remove everything and save us the trouble of doing it again.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It's an old wives tale about not clipping after a certain date 'because it will ruin the summer coat coming through'. If the horse needs clipping then do it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
echo all the above, I clip whenever it needs doing and just last week did a tidy up of guard hairs. Contemplating whizzing Kira's legs off so I don't have to deal with moulting ...

Luci07

Visit site
It depends on the horse. A friend who clipped late last year did have marks for the rest of the summer so it can impact the coat. I never did beyond end of Jan for mine but mine have hunter clips anyway. Only took the legs of my gray horse because he looked like he was wearing yellow stockings by the end of Jan..so glad I don't need to do it with my bay horse.

doodle

Visit site
I haven't tried clipping him. I got him this time last year and he was fully clipped then, so just going by what the seller has said (and he has been 100% about everything he said). He dosnt like me trimming his ears, I can touch them and rub them etc but he dosnt like the snipping sound so earplugs might be a good idea to try, thanks

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I was going to ask the same question as my boy is like a yak and is getting very hot when being worked.

I clipped him the past two years, but didn't this winter as he wasn't doing much work. I forgot how hot he gets some I am hoping to get him done in the next week or so. We only do dressage, and will have a hunter clip so I'm not bothered about the lines - his comfort is more important.

LeannePip

Visit site
If he needs clipping take it off!

Echo those above saying its an old wives tale about ruining summer coats - it makes me chuckle because people swear bible that it ruins the summer coat, but I'm yet to be presented with a horse/ photo of a horse with a ruined summer coat because someone dared clip it after 31st January! All i see are sleek horses gleaming in April/May whilst quite often their 'never clip after 31st January' counter parts are a bit tufty still!

leflynn

Visit site
Mine's just been clipped again - more to do with the person clipping than the time of year (which is why my YO does my clipping as I'm rubbish!)

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Never too late for horses comfort IMO.

I'll be clipping furball out shortly. For the past 23 years the blooming thing hasn't shed all his coat til the end of June. White hair everywhere for months is not my idea (nor my hubby's as he gets extra grey hairs in his pants!) of fun.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Complete rubbish about clipping ruining summer coats. My maxi cob was clipped today and will be shown in early May. You feed a good coat and skin, clipping has nothing to do with it. Feed a few grams of linseed and you will have a super skin.