Too soon to move?

Serephin

Visit site
Due to an unforeseen circumstance I had to move my horse to another yard last weekend - he settled in pretty much immediately, and I continued riding as I didn't want to disturb our routine too much. He is a bit anxious but seems okay, although he doesn't really show much outwardly like some horses do.

Anyho - reason I am posting is that my original intention was to move to a yard a couple of miles from home at the end of July beginning of August - but then the 'situation' happened and I had to move pretty sharpish to my old yard, as couldn't go to the one near my home as too short notice.

So would it be too soon to move him again at the end of the month? I don't want him to be unsettled as he is such a good boy and my confidence has got so much better with him, but could be shattered easily if he got anxious and unhappy.

I could stay where I am, but if I did, realistically it would probably be until the spring as I wouldn't want to move too close to winter, as I want to enjoy the summer riding.

I am not sure I have the nerve to move twice in such a short space of time, let alone the horse - but I want to be at a yard close to home, and the hacking isn't very good where I am.

Any pearls of wisdom? Am I fretting unnecessarily?

Choccy biscuits for reading!

Cedars

Visit site
Id just move him. At least atm he's totally confused, whereas if you let him settle he'll have just have got back to normal!

He'll be fine. If its the perfect yard, go for it. xxxx

3Beasties

Visit site
I personally would move him to the yard closer to home as soon as you can, but you know your horse better then anyone and if you feel it may completely unsettle him and set you both back then it may be best waiting till Spring.

Aille_B

Visit site
*Comes trotting in at the sniff of biscuits*:D
TBH I would still move him to the yard closer to home.
Maybe when moved to new yard.. do lots of inhand work learning the new place together.
Good luck hope you and horsey find somewhere perfect for you both x

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I agree with the above, go to the new yard as soon as you can. Be prepared to give him plenty of settling down time tho. Good luck sm x

ISHmad

Visit site
Don't be mean with the biccies... I'd move him when you can and try not to worry too much. At the end of the day you are a constant to him and will be wherever he is. The important thing is being at the right yard, being at the wrong one is a nightmare as many of us sadly know.

Blaise

Visit site
I'd move him again as soon as possible too, before he settles in too much at this current yard. Just give him plenty of time to settle in at his new yard and he should be fine :D Sounds like moving him closer to home will be better all round and if you're more relaxed then he'll settle quicker too.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Serephin

Visit site
thank you for all your replies - i think you are all right, it would be worse for him to settle and then be moved again - might as well get it done while he is still annoyed at me! lol