Took the Red Head out for some schooling ..

lucemoose

Visit site
My trainer ( ie my long suffering instructor who hasnt managed to shake me yet) emailed the other day saying she had spaces on a XC lesson amongst other treats so I jumped at the chance to take my friend flicka for a little spin.
On the morning of the lesson it became obvious that the ground was a little too wet for XC so luckily as the venue is also the base of a local eventer we decided on going in the school to use their arena xc and set up xc exercises in a confined (thank god) space.

Now I have to say- it was so so good for her to have to listen to me rather than me be at her mercy as is often the case. Ruby's manner, attitude and exuberance were explained to the other people in the session and she was allowed to do things her way, in a fashion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyM8BCKuGAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6fVkqH-Ftk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eb1RVF030Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjtnFw1lbYg

Lisamd

Visit site
I promise never to complain about Borris being 'fresh' ever again after seeing this.
Although I do think that you both look so used to each other that you almost wouldn't want her to stop her antic's (0.17secs on the last video)
Well sat :)

lucemoose

Visit site
well the bucking is fine its the leap buck leap that sometimes gets me...like whilst doing flatwork?! But she settles when working hard and thinking so its counterbalanced in a way..her way!

was v surprised when she jumped the arrowhead, barrels and gate first time too.:D

miskettie

Visit site
Fantastic videos! I think I saw your videos before at Felbridge? Where I thought your horse looked like a handful...she looks even more energetic in these videos! Chesnut mares always know best! Well done for staying on.

Leg_end

Visit site
Such a shame that she has those moments of naughtyness as she looks like she would be fab! Must agree that when she is doing something all the time she looks much better but I must admit, having that type of horse would frustrate me :eek: Well done!

PS love your boots!

SusieT

Visit site
So you/your trainer think it is acceptable to have a a horse 'doing her thing' when it looks tense, unhappy and stressed ?
Lovely, lovely looking horse, with talent, totally spoiled by the tension and rider horse communication failing, which is what caused the stop at the white cones. Lots of horse chewing her bit, being allowed to jump. I appreciate this is a group lesson but lots of quiet cantering around the jumps would really help this mare, only being allowed to jump when she is quite, and this might take a long time..
Sorry, wouldn't have commented but get the impression you think this is an ok thing to be 'allowed' and not an extreme of behaviour (not going to hark back to the old have you had back teeth checked as everyone either has or says they have) that needs addressed for both parties sake.

lucemoose

Visit site
Oh gosh- I did think a little about posting these videos but I assumed all who would comment would be those who have seen her before. She has had all the checks and all the maintenance is ongoing.
There was calm cantering around until the jumps came into play but I cant expect much more from a horse who was overcooked abroad at the age of 6 who jumps for fun for me now and who was expected not to really ever jump again.
She is hot, but both trainers (i have 2 regular ones) have known her for as long as I have had her and her 'ways' are accepted.
Yes its a shame that she behaves like this, I do agree with the poster who said she must be frustrating because it will be if she gets time faults or looses concentration but given her background, she has become such a chilled mare.

JessPickle

Visit site
So you/your trainer think it is acceptable to have a a horse 'doing her thing' when it looks tense, unhappy and stressed ?
Lovely, lovely looking horse, with talent, totally spoiled by the tension and rider horse communication failing, which is what caused the stop at the white cones. Lots of horse chewing her bit, being allowed to jump. I appreciate this is a group lesson but lots of quiet cantering around the jumps would really help this mare, only being allowed to jump when she is quite, and this might take a long time..
Sorry, wouldn't have commented but get the impression you think this is an ok thing to be 'allowed' and not an extreme of behaviour (not going to hark back to the old have you had back teeth checked as everyone either has or says they have) that needs addressed for both parties sake.

I know for a fact Lucy has gone far beyond the normal back/teeth check and had Rubes check extensively. Ruby is generally a very happy horse who just has mad moments, I know this from good experience having seen her in RL many a time and my sister borrowed her for 4 days for a riding camp! for example hacking she was always pretty chilled happily waundering along with Pickle, just put jumps in front of her and she looses her mind.

Ruby has the best of everything, beautiful fitting tack, regular checks or everything and Lucy has very gradually increased heights with her after a loss of confidence on Ruby's part after as she described it "being overcooked as a 6yo" the behavior is "allowed" as you phrase it because fighting with Ruby is totally pointless and she generally settles after being given some time.

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
I think you are doing a great job she looks very hard to get listening and working. I don't know the horse but she looks to me like something that has sjed to a fairly high level previously and maybe not been given the easiest time?... She reminds me of my friends grade C mare who could have gone on further had her brains not been blown, she does all the same stuff, but lives a dressage life now which seems to be all her brain can cope with.

I think your persistent sort of 'carry on pretend she's not doing it' approach will eventually work with her, I think if you were to confront every 'disobedience' then she would get worse, you can see when she stops at the upright with the cones, when you turn her away she sort of has a 'reaction strop' then pops it nicely, and there were a couple of lovely bascules in there, amidst her 'lively moments'

Well done for sticking with her, it's very admirable :)

seadog

Visit site
:O jesus christ those bucks!! I think I would have been caterpulted off 100 times by the final video!
With that being said, you look in compleate balance all the time, and her bucks to me look like they are shearly from exuberance, minus one that just looked like a strop!

In regards to the not so nice comment I think I've seen you around....do you go to Brendons? and all the times when I've seen you, you've been safe with the other competitors and looked like you were chanelling the excitement of a very difficult ride :S

redcascade

Visit site
Wow...she's very...err...excitable :eek: :p Obviously a very talented horse when she gets going though! I can't believe you stayed on, I would have been straight on the floor!
You and your trainer know your horse best, it really annoys me when people come on here and make rude comments without knowing a horses background :rolleyes: This is part of the reason I'm staying out of NL and sticking to CR and not posting as much..

Jennyharvey

Visit site

Im affraid i have to agree with this poster. I dont want to come across as rude or interfering, and you have a very nice horse. Im glad to hear that she has had her back and teeth checked, but i think she still looks unhappy. As other poster says, she doesnt seem relaxed in her mouth. She also seems to be wearing a gag perhaps, but its hard to tell in the video. I think the bit and grackle may be causing part of the behaviour, as she shakes her head a lot and pulls. Im not saying this to be rude or anything, just as her behaviour isnt safe as she could end up hurting herself or her rider. If you are happy with how she behaves, thats up to yourself, but if she was mine i would wnt to address the reasons why she is getting so stressed and worked up. But she is a very nice horse with lots of talent, and you are a good rider to sit to her bucks.
But i would recommend trying her in the mildest bit, and getting her to settle for her jumping instead of pulling her all the time. If you keep pulling her, she will only pull back and get more stressed. You have to take the stress out of her work i think.
Sorry if i come across as telling you what to do, but when i see a horse isnt happy, i feel i have to say something.

andrea (:

Visit site

This is a happy, healthy horse.
The fact that the mare is allowed to express herself (to say the least) is a positive thing, not a negative thing. The bucking doesn't interfere with any of the work in hand.

A five minute glance into the partnership definitely doesn't give you the right to claim that there is no active communication and engagement between horse and rider. There is a time and place for schooling, and a time and place in which the horse should be left to its own behavioral patterns, she's clearly happy prancing around and too much interference could cause larger problems than just a lack of engagement in these particular clips.

Don't be so quick to judge xx

diggerbez

Visit site
wow i don't know how you cope with her... my old horse used to prat about between fences (bucking, changing legs) and it used to really infuriate me as we'd be on a good stride and then he'd leap about and ruin it!
having said that...you hardly move when she's pratting about... and she's very pretty :D

danielledanielle

Visit site
Wow, very judemental people on this forum!bet none of you could ride one side of her! Lucy does so well with this horse - loveee Ruby so much omnommnomm <3

solitairex

Visit site
This is a happy, healthy horse.
The fact that the mare is allowed to express herself (to say the least) is a positive thing, not a negative thing. The bucking doesn't interfere with any of the work in hand.

A five minute glance into the partnership definitely doesn't give you the right to claim that there is no active communication and engagement between horse and rider. There is a time and place for schooling, and a time and place in which the horse should be left to its own behavioral patterns, she's clearly happy prancing around and too much interference could cause larger problems than just a lack of engagement in these particular clips.

Don't be so quick to judge xx

This this this. x

Jennyharvey

Visit site
im quite shocked that only two people commenting on this page can actually read this horse. I dont want to piss anyone off, but i know that what i say will get peoples back up. Which is fine because im not here to make friends.
If you look at the third video where the horse is kicking out repeatedly, i dont see a horse being playfull. I see a horse with wide eyes who is quite obviously bothered by something. Someone above mentioned that her antics doesnt effect her work, but obviously it does if it causes her to stop at the fences. As she does in one of the videos. i know that i dont know this horse at all, or whether its a common thing for her to act like this, but im shocked that this behaviour is seen as 'playfull' or 'excitement' just because you cant read a horse. You have to look past the behaviour and look at what the eyes are telling you. The eyes dont lie.

JessPickle

Visit site
so you two can "read this horse" however no one else can. I have met the horse, borrowed the horse for camp! seen her at shows (in a snaffle may I add) but have obviously misjudged her completely and don't have a clue. As has Lucy and her well respected trainer of course.

You should get your eyes checked! because you eyes are lying. reading through your past posts made an interesting read, pretty much being a total cow to as many people as you can I see! yet not actually posting anything about your own riding.

Last edited:

georgie256

Visit site
"the eyes don't lie" - how can you be so sure that your 'reading of this horse' is true when you don't know her? don't judge either.
love for this horse!

Jennyharvey

Visit site
so you two can "read this horse" however no one else can. I have met the horse, borrowed the horse for camp! seen her at shows (in a snaffle may I add) but have obviously misjudged her completely and don't have a clue. As has Lucy and her well respected trainer of course.

You should get your eyes checked! because you eyes are lying. reading through your past posts made an interesting read, pretty much being a total cow to as many people as you can I see! yet not actually posting anything about your own riding.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Im not saying that this horse is always like this. i guess she is as sweet as a lamb normally, this is just the impression i got after watching the videos.
Ive worked with enough horses from all backrounds to be able to read them pretty well. there are enough people in the world who are blinkered by tradition, or by what we are told by so called experts. But like i said, we will have to agree to disagree. You see what you see, i just see something totally different.

SammyLuff

Visit site
Having been around Ruby at shows and in a non competitve environment i can honestly say you will NOT meet a happier, more relaxed horse than it loved for how she goes, rather than pit the dummy out daddy i want a new one antics. I've ridden her myself and she loves her work so much,yes she can occassionally stress herself but having done so much so young this is hardly a surprise? Lucy does a hugee variety of things with her, she is never drilled or punished for acting like this, she has had every check professionally done and to be honest is definately not a mare who would still jump if there was a problem believe you me. I really hope that nobody makes a comment about any of your horses than they quite clearly dont know the history/situation with because its not nice, ruby is one of the luckiest horses i know to have lucy who is chilled with her and she goes at a pace rubys happy with, shes jumped clear in a class and gone home before the next because she didnt feel right, how many o you would have jumped the second class anyway?

Dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all

MillionDollar

Visit site
There is no way this horse is unhappy..................at all!!!!!!!!

She just obviously loves to express herself..........like Ellen Whitaker's Ladina B.

Keep up the good work, you're an amazing amazing rider :D

pigsmight:)

Visit site
Looks like a chestnut mare to me :D well done for posting this, its nice to see someone else dealing with a stress head chestnutter.... although my girl takes a far bit less rider ability then yours :eek: she is stunning, there are lots of opinionated people on here :rolleyes: they do say if they can buck they can jump so it looks like your onto a winner!! x

kit279

Visit site
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Im not saying that this horse is always like this. i guess she is as sweet as a lamb normally, this is just the impression i got after watching the videos.

And that really is the point here - you are looking at a 2 minute snapshot of the horse and however well you 'read' horses, you would be hard pushed to read anything based on a 2 minute viewing. The OP knows the horse and the horse's history and from reading it like she tells it, it must be pretty gutting to be told that your pride and joy looks stressed and miserable and ergo the OP must be doing everything wrong and not looking out for their horse's welfare.

OP, I thought your mare is lovely looking and doesn't look to be trying to get you off, plus she jumps well and not in a way that suggests discomfort, in my eyes. I've seen enough fried ex-SJers to say well sat and well done ;)

One of the problems is that if people post and get 'brutally-honest-and-often-casually-hurtful' replies, they won't bother posting. And that will make for a very dull CR.