Top tips for keeping bum in saddle in canter?!

ImmyS

Visit site
So for some reason I just really struggle to sit to Arlos canter. I’m quite tall and 5ft 9 and he’s a compact 15hh cob but fairly long striding. I work with two great instructors so we’re working on it but the main recurring comments are “get your weight in the saddle”, “sit back” etc etc. I feel like I’m leaning back but when I watch videos I’m always slightly tipping forward and my bum is coming out the saddle every stride. I can sit better out hacking in a more forward canter, but I struggle to sit to his canter when keeping it more ‘together’.

Any top tips or eureka moments for anyone who has struggled with this?

ImmyS

Visit site
My first thought is 'take your feet out of your stirrups'. It always works for me!
Sorry should have put that in the post. I have tried this but I have terrible hips and he is so wide I just can’t seem to tolerate no stirrups for any length of time for it to help 😔

View

Visit site
As well as no stirrups work, I suspect you are unconsciously gripping upwards. Instead of thinking about keeping your bum in the saddle, think about dropping your weight down through your knees into your ankles.

Just seen your reply to PaS. Ask a physio to devise a plan for you to help with this. You're aiming to drape your legs around his sides, but this is easier said than done if you're not comfortable.

Would a saddle with a narrower twist help?

JillA

Visit site
One really good tip I was given many years ago is tip your hat forward so the peak is jut above your eyes. To be able to see where you are going you will have to have your head well up, and your shoulders back, and that is the key to sitting to the canter. Ensure you aren't rounding your shoulders or tipping forward at all, and your stirrups are the correct length

Mule

Visit site
This can happen if you're tense. You may be without knowing it. If I'm tense I pay attention to what hoof is on the ground and count the rhythm. Left, right, left, right etc,

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My Eureka was when someone told me to stop thinking of polishing the saddle with my bum and ride like a hand bouncing a tennis ball instead. When the ball (saddle) meets your hand (bum) then to absorb the movement of the ball, you hand rises on the top of it and the ball keeps rising a little way too. Then your hand controls the rise of the ball and pushes it back down again. Works for me, don't know if it will help.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I have had trouble with sticking to the saddle in canter, too. Leaning back is helping, so is cantering without stirrups (sometimes, deliberately).

I feel as if I'm leaning at 45°, but that can't be so... it would be very helpful to have somebody take photos or a video for me to be able to see just how far I'm leaning.

JillA

Visit site
I have had trouble with sticking to the saddle in canter, too. Leaning back is helping, so is cantering without stirrups (sometimes, deliberately).

I feel as if I'm leaning at 45°, but that can't be so... it would be very helpful to have somebody take photos or a video for me to be able to see just how far I'm leaning.

So true, the lady who told me the hat trick all those years ago asked me to lean back. Then lean back some more. And some more. And then she said "Now you are upright". We nearly all hunch our shoulders and drop our heads.

Wheels

Visit site
Sorry should have put that in the post. I have tried this but I have terrible hips and he is so wide I just can’t seem to tolerate no stirrups for any length of time for it to help 😔

If you cannot get the release in your hips required to canter without stirrups then you are not going to be able to truly sit with them either.

Have you tried yoga / gym exercises to try and free up and strengthen your hips?

When was the last time you went to physio?

Does your saddle fit you? I'm thinking that because he is wide then the seat is probably wide to accommodate his shape and that is too wide for your hips? You could try a different saddle or something like an HM hip saver

Bartleby.

Visit site
Not sure if this helps for your circumstances but I was having the same problem with my uberwide horse, the only way I got the hang of it was take a lot of time to get my hips and feet in alignment and plugging into the seat if you know what I mean (and shortening my stirrups to achieve this). Before that I was in too much of a chair seat because of how wide he is, which meant I had no grip for canter and felt unstable leaning back, and no lower leg stability for rising trot.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Taking away your stirrups is always the answer! I'd look for a saddle with a narrower twist and try to gradually work on increasing the amount of stirrup-less work you can do over time.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
have a look at what Heather Moffet recommends for canter-helped me. If he is that wide its hard to find a narrower twist saddle that will fit really well ime. Another thing are exercises to strengthen your abs and strengthen/free up psoas muscles-there are gym ball ones that are easy enough to do at home.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
Equipilates. Sounds like another gimmick. But its not. Its all about opening your hip flexors and allowing your pelvis and lower back to move in the right way and create awareness of what your body and muscles are actually doing..
Since I started I've found I'm better balanced and have more of an awareness of where I am, and where my horse is in relation to my body and movements.

I can sit canter better too, and I am more aware of my psoas muscle which helps me balance.

Even try breathing more deeply when you ride, it helps your psoas stretch and flex.
Breathe from the bottom of your ribs and lift your sternum and fill your lungs as much as you can. Practice it first out of the saddle, so when you are driving, or getting the bus or walking down the road.

It makes a massive difference.

dlou1

Visit site
I found that what really helped me was almost to forget about sitting in the traditional sense. Relaxing your hips and just sort of feeling the horses movement meant I could move with the horse rather than just focusing on sitting. All the usual things like heels down, slightly gripping with your calves and stirrup-less work will help.

Imagine there is a line from inside your body, below the ribs, that keeps you attached to the saddle, pulling you down. Tighten your core to sit tall but relax your hips. I hope that makes sense!

wren123

Visit site
I tended to slump and was told to lift my chest - without hollowing my lower back, This frees your pelvis to gently follow the movement not 'polishing' the saddle. I also used to visualise myself riding like Carl hester!!

Leandy

Visit site
No stirrups work on the horse. It doesn't have to be in canter to start with, any pace will help deepen your seat so start slowly and build it up gradually. Off the horse, you can work separately on exercises to loosen and make the hips, pelvis, lower back looser and more supple, and to build your core strength at the same time, so you are not collapsing forward. Maybe a session on a mechanical horse would be interesting and fun and help to pinpoint your issues.

ImmyS

Visit site
Thank you for all of your responses. Food for thought and really helpful. I do think I have a tendency to grip so need to relax more. I also have an old injury to my left lower leg which makes it a lot weaker so I really struggle to get equal weight through my stirrups which is another issue. I do feel that saddle doesn’t help, but it took me months and lots of saddles bought and sold to find one that fits him. I do think it would help though and I’m trying to save up for something that works better for me too. There is a local physio who works with both horse and rider so think I will try and book a session in with her. I like to think I’m quite strong/fairly fit, but definitely worth looking intonations some exercises particularly for core and hips.

alexomahony

Visit site
My first thought is 'take your feet out of your stirrups'. It always works for me!

^^^ Agree with this one :)

**edited as read more posts and realised you struggle with this**

In that case I once read: 'to be able to sit well, one must stand well first' - and it works! stand up in your stirrups - short times at walk first... it teaches you to balance using your core and not grip with your legs, as if you do, you wobble! Prob get a neck strap so if you do wobble grab that instead of the reins.

We can now almost trot and canter a full hour long ride stood up! It's all about your core strength which helps massively with a secure seat :)

HEM

Visit site
I say to myself every stride lean back, keeps me upright and helps me feel the rhythm :)

J&S

Visit site
Hook one of your index fingers under the pommel of your saddle and gently pull up. try in sitting trot first, then try canter. No need to abandon your stirrups if it is uncomfortable to do so.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
i had a lesson on a mechanical horse and was told everything below my sternum belongs to the horse, so is relaxed and lets the horse move it. Everything above the sternum should be as still as possible so tighten up the muscles in the front and back of your sternum, basically all around the bottom of your bra and this will hold you up and let the rest of your body flow with the horse. Tightening up this muscles is an easier way of keeping your shoulders back because the instructor said often if you tell people to keep their shoulders back, they arch their back which doesn't help

Fellewell

Visit site
So for some reason I just really struggle to sit to Arlos canter. I’m quite tall and 5ft 9 and he’s a compact 15hh cob but fairly long striding. I work with two great instructors so we’re working on it but the main recurring comments are “get your weight in the saddle”, “sit back” etc etc. I feel like I’m leaning back but when I watch videos I’m always slightly tipping forward and my bum is coming out the saddle every stride. I can sit better out hacking in a more forward canter, but I struggle to sit to his canter when keeping it more ‘together’.

Any top tips or eureka moments for anyone who has struggled with this?

You say you find it easier to sit to the canter when hacking. This may be because he finds straight lines a lot easier and struggles to use his back properly in the school, this in turn will effect your seat. I would say, don't stint on the warm up/down. Give those muscles plenty of time to warm up and adopt a light seat in canter. Try getting used to the movement and sit for a couple of strides on the long side gradually increasing the amount of time you sit.

mini_b

Visit site

Your whole situation is very similar to mine and I really feel for you :(
I have returned to riding after a 10 year break and have discovered I now have limited movement in my left hip. I did not have this problem in canter when I previously rode and now can’t keep my bum in saddle. (Sitting trot is fine) I can’t remember where I saw this but someone had said “imagine yourself as a wet rag, draped over horse”. Gross but helping me slightly.
I second riding with no stirrups, it has been extremely painful (i also have problems driving) but is very gradually stretching me out and back into wet rag mode.

Please go see an osteopath! Mines booked! If your hip is causing you to clench your bum it could be a pain reaction to bring your knees up. I’ve ridden since age of 7, and now after a baby and break I’m crippled 😂

mandyroberts

Visit site

You have just given yourself the answer. Physio/pilates/yoga to enable you to stretch

Mule

Visit site
Well don't come off and land arse first on a xc jump!
That's what happened the last time I couldn't keep my bum in the saddle 🙄