Topping a field for jumping use - how high?

DuckToller

Visit site
Need to get a local field topped (it is very long at present) so that we can use it for a PC rally and show.

How high should I ask the farmer to cut it? The ground is so hard we want some cover. He is collecting the cuttings as well - is this better so there is less chance of slipping, or should I ask him to leave them for extra cushioning?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
No idea how long it should be left, but our field is topped and the cuttings are left - it is a pain in the bum. The 'lines' of dried grass get a bit slippery - when dry, as the stalks slide over each other, and when wet it is slimey. Personally I'd prefer to have slightly longer grass and have the cuttings removed.

Dubsie

Visit site
Our field is naturally grazed by rabbits.
mad.gif
I would say it depends how well drained it is vs weather forecast betweeen now and then - ours is on gravel and very dry so the fact the grass is mostly 3-4 inches long seems fine for jumping, nice and springy. However if it's wet, it can get slippy especially the longer bits where the rabbits don't get to as much.
As to the cuttings - how long is it at the moment, and when is the show? If there's a lot to cut off then I would think it best the cuttings are removed. If it's only an inch or two being cut off then the cuttings will disappear into the thatch quite quickly in this warm weather.

DuckToller

Visit site
So that's 3 votes for removing cuttings
grin.gif

It is being done by a chap with an industrial type ride-on rather than a tractor, so the option to have the cuttings picked up seems rather useful. Thanks!