Topspec turbo flakes

emilylou

Visit site
Has anyone used these? I have an eventer who is a very good doer but needs more sparkle and am wondering if these might be the solution

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I do and yes they are effective at giving spark. I give a 15.2 low level comp horse 1kg daily as long as she is in full work.

I also top dress the old boys veteran/vitality with it, just because he likes it and it gets him to eat up.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yeah I also find them effective. I feed them to my welsh who is competing advanced dressage and needs all the sparkle she can get. I was feeding normal rolled oats before and definitely notice a difference.

Shay

Visit site
A lot of Top Spec stuff has too much sugar for me - and I don't like the fact they won't put a full analysis on their bags so you can't compare. Although proportions are not given the ingredients list both Molasses and glucose syrup. If you stuff your horse full of sugar they certainly will sparkle. But you put them at risk of EMS.

In fact - other than micronised oats, linseed and GM soya - which you can get anywhere - everything else in it is sugar.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hmm.. I think for a normal (i.e. not metabolically compromised) horse in a fair degree of work the sugar thing can be a bit of a non-issue. If they are on decent grazing then they'll be getting plenty of sugar from that, every day, compared to the small scoop of Turbo flakes on working days.
I really find you can feed it in small quantities and it's digested more easily as the oats have no husks, so a small volume of feed goes a long way. When I fed straight oats lots were coming through whole so I was needing to feed more in order to see an effect. That's a lot of starchy stuff going through the gut. I couldn't get straight naked oats from any of 3 different feed merchants locally. Different strokes for different folks.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Yes they were good for giving my Welsh d x dales mare some ping before a rideout or competition. I fed them the day before and the day of and that gave us enough energy without helping her gain weight which was something she never needed any help with lol :)

I fed half a big round scoop in the am the day before, same on the Pm and same again the morning of. The rest of the time she had light balancer and beetpulp when the rest were getting theirs :)