Torres the cripple- an update and some photos

Michen

Visit site
I'm still not talking to him after his loading drama (and he's apparently not talking to me either judging by his aloof attitude when I visited yesterday) but the horse has dodged the bullet yet again.

I'm trying really hard to find a reason to have him PTS but he's refusing to give me or my poor vet one ;)

So the bone scan revealed:

Front feet are red hot. I'm a bit disappointed by this given he is much sounder since the navicular bursa injections and tildren and his boots but I guess it's to be expected as it's only 7 weeks post him barely being able to turn a corner.
Back feet are fine
Hocks are warm
Fetlock v slightly warm.
Back is slightly warm in places.

I'm waiting to hear about whether the surgeon feels the back is operable. We already have back x rays and know there are a few vertebrae touching so if they match up to the heat he may well have the lig snip op. In normal circumstances my vet said the warmth wouldn't really be something we would operate on straight away, probably try injections. But given his loading difficulties and the fact he's currently not in work it seems like a good idea to do something if we can.

Still a bit concerned about why he's constantly resting and shifting his back feet so often. I counted 4 times in a minute yesterday. We know he's lame in them and the vet says it would be unlikely he would have DDFT injury, collateral ligament tears etc when nothing like that showed in front. No money left to MRI so taking my chances on that. I'm hoping it's just because he's been trying to take the weight off his front feet so much. Or perhaps his hocks are bothering him as he's been in no work so they aren't being kept active. We are x raying the hocks tomorrow as well to have a look there. They don't bother me hugely, two of the best horses I know have arthritis in their hocks and it certainly hasn't held them back.

All in all, no where near as bad as I expected. I was fully expecting his back and sacriollac to be an obvious point of pain. Given the horse has likely been in pain for a long, long time (his legs started shaking two years ago) and still raced I think it's pretty amazing that he's not lit up like a Christmas tree. Bless him, he really is determined to live! I had a very frank convo with my vet and she said if those feet aren't improving in 3 months I need to re think whether he's ever going to be okay as a riding horse and to PTS. I'm confident I'm doing the right thing with his feet going down the barefoot route so hopefully this will work out!

Anyway, as ever the support on here has been completely amazing so I'm going to try and make this post slightly more interesting with a few photos of the celebrity himself! Here is a few from our exhausting, stressful, journey since he left the track in November.

Arrival...

attachment.php

My OH who clearly knew what I (and subsequently he) was in for with this animal...

attachment.php

Generally just being a total dude and poppet at silly Christmas gymkhana games. He was one of the most laid back out of most of the horses there despite being 4 weeks off the track and never having been in an arena with other horses before. In hindsight maybe he was so laid back because his feet hurt!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Laughing in my face at the newly extra high voltage electrified fence because the ****** kept escaping from his medical paddock. He would break free if I was slightly late bringing him in for his dinner or he just fancied a wander around the yard. I have to admit I was rather hoping his shoes would touch the fence slightly here... ;)

attachment.php

Just generally being deceivingly cute... He had finally started coming out of his shell here instead of being quite and depressed.
attachment.php

Last edited:

hobo

Visit site
Bless him lovely photo's he seems quite happy even with all his problems. If you have only had him since November he could still come right. At least he is having a lovely time with you. I would not want your vet bills though.

3OldPonies

Visit site
He is absolutely lovely. When you think about all the pain he must be in and yet he could still goof about at Christmas. He really is such a lucky lad to have you for an owner. Adore those pics of him rolling and stretching out to the camera.

I'm sending him loads of healing vibes :) and good luck vibes for all of you :):)

Yuki1290

Visit site
Glad to hear that's there is nothing majorly wrong with Torres! He sounds like such a little fighter - he definitely deserves his second chance! Just get those front feet sorted and let the fun times begin! Keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of his tests will come back clear! :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think your vet is right is that you will have a good idea after 3 months how much change those feet are going to give.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Has your vet scanned for PSD? It goes with kissing spines often - and will hopefully go if they are operated on.

Glad the news was not worse.

Visit site
What is it with racehorses and rolling in puddles?!?!?!?! You'd think they would be too much of Prima Donna's to do such things but it's the first thing they go for!

So glad that there doesn't seem anything majorly wrong with him and hopefully this is start of a long and happy relationship!

Michen

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm pushing for the KS surgery but have to wait to see what the surgeon says tomorrow- he's the boss ;) Trouble is he hasn't been ridden enough for me to know whether the KS is actually an issue, which in many horses such minor "warmth" wouldn't be.

Michen

Visit site
the trouble is Michen , he is REALLY cute and we all want him to come well again for you, i so hope he does as nobody could say you haven't tried xxxx

Lol he is isn't he? He has the most hilarious facial expressions. Sometimes he looks at me with such disgust he manages to make me feel like a naughty child!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
He is lovely :)

In my view I wouldn't worry too much about the back end shifting, my boy last year had a three month abcess in a front foot and he shifted back on his hind to take the strain off his fronts. You might find he will need a massage/physio when time comes to do more work if he decides to stick around :)

Nicnac

Visit site
He is lovely and so pleased that the news is ok. They do get under your skin these blimmin' ex-racers. Mine has been threatened with the bullet so many times due to injuries but 10 years on and he's still here......(and sound) :p

Michen

Visit site
Can he have the snip op whilst he's still in the vets to avoid any more loading /travelling?

That's what I'm aiming for but it depends if they have a space. Don't think the surgeon is keen as there's not enough evidence the KS would actually cause a problem under saddle and as he's not in work its not like we can block him and see the difference. I however don't want to end up with a potential KS rehab going into winter when I have no daylight or floodlights to do the rehab religiously...

Michen

Visit site
Nawh! Butter wouldn't melt!

Please can we see this photo of them eyeballing each other? :D

Bahhhh I think I've bloody lost it! I left my company on Monday and they immediately took back my phone (wasn't expecting them to take it so quick) and I had to swipe it with tons of photos on. Thought it was on fb but its not :( So SO annoying as its hilarious!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
You see, he wants to be yours forever!! No reason to PTS yet so it looks like you can keep us posted with all these great pics of cheeky ex-racer for a while longer! :)

Michen

Visit site
You see, he wants to be yours forever!! No reason to PTS yet so it looks like you can keep us posted with all these great pics of cheeky ex-racer for a while longer! :)

Cheeky, expensive, high maintenance, pain in the butt ex racer! If he doesn't load to go home then he really will be pts ;) he's getting a lorry this time though- only the best for my 200 pound nag!

Michen

Visit site
Has your vet scanned for PSD? It goes with kissing spines often - and will hopefully go if they are operated on.

Nope... vet didn't seem to think it was likely to be an issue. The KS really is very mild... only just showed up on the bone scan. Will mention it again tomorrow though as she did say it couldn't be entirely ruled out.

Michen

Visit site

Think she said as he very much blocked to the foot and showed no problems on flexions that it rules it out as an obvious problem but I could be wrong...