Totally at a loss what to do next any thoughts?

Marmaduke

Visit site
Im not a vet but can pass on my personal experience. Is it possible that it is the stifle but soft tissue/ ligament in or around the joint rubbing and causing the soreness? The stifle is the equivalent to our knee joint. As your horse is young it could be something that has developed with growth or be the result of the kick? My young horse has had stifle surgery and my understanding is that an x ray doesnt necessarily show enough detail of the joint but will pick up the obvious. Ditto with ultrasound. The only way to see if there are any tears/damage or bits of small cartilage floating about is to go in with an arthroscope. This is of course surgery so not sure if it helps you but can recommend a good surgeon. My horse was also initially diagnosed with SI strain presumably from holding himself wrong so the tight hamstrings in your case could be compensatory too? As you are probably aware right hind lameness is also associated with ulcers due to the positioning of the internal organs but scoping only goes into the stomach and you are none the wiser about the hind gut. Im also not sure how bad they would have to be for a horse to show lameness. Mine also had grade 3 stomach ulcers but wasnt hopping lame, looking back, just stuffy to ride and explosive at times. Ive also had a bone scan for another reason (which cost £1,300) which was useful and did definitively rule out any SI disease. As an aside my husband has cartilage damage to his knee, he sometimes goes hopping lame (lol!) when he thinks a bit of cartilage gets stuck in the joint. Similarly if hes on his feet allday/night he feels sore for a few days. Hope this helps in some way. Just wish they could talk sometimes!

travellingpony

Visit site
A bit of an update I can't persuade any osteo to come out. Shes the same as ever lame on the right hind its the weirdest motion she rolls the leg rather than moving straight. On any sort of bend it goes under her. I would say its exactly the same as last year. The movement is more stable currently and shes not as lame but its still one odd movement. The mare seems ok in herself. She is due the physio and they always find that she is sore in various places.

I am in a situation now where I am going to have to pay a substantial amount per month now to keep her moving forwards if I choose to. I feel terrible to be seriously considering this but it looks like PTS is the only option. I am selling my foal as I can't keep them all. I wouldn't ever pass her on. So I have to choose between her and my ridden horse. I have always had hope each time we have tried something but is it time to give up now? I will speak to the vet again on Monday but he has often said he feels that there are several issues although none firmly identified. Its all so sad.