Totally insignificant horsey pet hate

Shadowdancing

Visit site
What's your biggest (but also most insignificant) horsey petc hate? Basically the thing you wouldn't loose sleep over and no one else would even notice probably but still... niggle... like... mad...!

New reins for me. Stiff and uncomfortable. Chafe hands and miscommunicate with the horse. Get shot people! Not to me though....

More Welcome any scenario location etc....

mytwofriends

Visit site
Haynets tied up with the knot at the end of the loop, not up against the haynet, making them a b**ger to untie, especially if it's a small holed net.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Not sweeping the stable back before putting the wheelbarrow in to start mucking out. So bits of poo and wet miss/fall off the wheelbarrow and land on the clean shavings strewn across the front of the box.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Headcollars left tied up but handing down/sat on the floor in a heap.

Haynets tied up with the knot at the end of the loop, not up against the haynet, making them a b**ger to untie, especially if it's a small holed net.

^^^both of these!

Also people who don't seem to know how to tie a quick release. You don't put the rope through the twine first, you make the loop through the twine. Otherwise it's not quick release. Do they just not teach this any more?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Also people who don't seem to know how to tie a quick release. You don't put the rope through the twine first, you make the loop through the twine. Otherwise it's not quick release. Do they just not teach this any more?

Actually I will argue with you there - it is a quick release, in the sense that this is how a quick release would have been tied in the traditional sense when tying to a post. It is the twine that complicates things, but tying to twine is a very British sensibility.

I also assume that it is a knot used for tying boats because I never showed my boat-dwelling dad but he always tied them with a quick release (but the wrong sort of quick release, I.e.no loop), because he said that he figured they were like a boat....

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
The knot in the haynet as mentioned.

Fastening the headcollar around the neck to bridle up while still tied up fully - even more irksome when the horse is left unattended like this.

Not sweeping up after farrier - however only if the horse has been shod. Mine is barefoot, parts of the yard are not smooth concrete so its because I don't want him standing on the needle like tail ends of the nails.

Not saying thank you when I've slowed down and passed you wide enough.

Lyle

Visit site
Oh dear, I have quite a few, but I will stick to one. Dirty saddle pads, makes me want to puke when they are so grotty they could basically stand on their own!

pansymouse

Visit site
The term happy hacker makes my blood boil - choosing not to complete doesn't automatically make a person a lesser rider.

I would have RSI if I had to type up all my physical pet hate crimes...

Jenni_

www.facebook.com

THIS. I have started a revolution with the kids at the yard - they WILL learn to do it properly!

alainax

Visit site
Anything to do with horses heads and dressage.

Any from yanking it in to "make an outline" whole the horse is plodding around to complaining about rolkhur when a horse is simply btv.

"Desensitising" already non forward horses to whips and aids. Not by accident, we all start somewhere, but as a diliberate training method.

The amount of small coloured colts for sale for buttons.

People who try to sell second hand things for the same price they bought it for.

Price on asking.

Oh dear, I'm on a roll... better stop before I sound totally miserable lol!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
taking rugs off clipped horses to have them stand and freeze while owner faffs around.

badly tied haynets

leaving horses tied on yard unattended

not clipping leg straps back on the ring when rug is taken off (they hurt when they hit you in the face)

SEL

Visit site
This week's pet hate: people who moan that their horse doesn't tie up / pick its feet up / stand nicely for the farrier / lead quietly and then DON'T BOTHER TO TEACH IT.

catkin

Visit site
heavy clips on leadropes - surely it's not beyond the wit of mankind to invent a small, light strong one.

dirty grooming brushes

browbands that are not long enough

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
- stiff and unwieldy buckles on new tack

- horses that bang the stable door incessantly

- horses that won't let you or anyone else pick up their feet etc, are rude and bargey always coming into your personal space (and pet hate is the owners who let 'em!); along with this is horses who're always searching your pockets for food :(

- people that over-horse themselves and then expect everyone else around to "rescue" them

- horses turned out in headcollars or left in stables with them on; dangerous dangerous dangerous! I saw a pony once who nearly throttled itself to death as it caught the ring of the headcollar on the stable door fastening, panicked, ran back and then fell inside the door

- people riding on the roads without any hi viz................. oh please DO NOT let me get ranting on this one!!

LeneHorse

Visit site
people who leave their stable door open (when horse is in) with only one or those stupid plastic rope things across the doorway. Then the owner disappears for hours. My horse would be through, under or over one of these contraptions in minutes.

there are many others but I don't have all day......

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
people who leave their stable door open (when horse is in) with only one or those stupid plastic rope things across the doorway. Then the owner disappears for hours. My horse would be through, under or over one of these contraptions in minutes.

there are many others but I don't have all day......

This might be me... it's a rubber covered chain :wink3: In fairness I do shut the door if I'm leaving for more than a couple of minutes, but my horses live down a corridor in a barn and it means I can push the door back out of the way when I'm walking about and popping in and out of the stable.

Otherwise, for me... it's all about quick release knots and haynets tied wrongly :eek: Having the knot at the end of the string instead of against the net makes me SAVAGE! :lol: And I tend to pull the knot free on a leadrope and walk off immediately, so if the rope has been threaded through the twine that stops me in my tracks :eek:

Some of the peeves on this thread are not insignificant tho :p - I think we would all get the heebie jeebies about horses who can hang themselves in their headcollars or people not wearing hi vis to hack on the roads...

MileAMinute

Visit site
People who leave girths attached to saddles! Argh!

Oh, and the typical horsey idiot on FB. Too many examples to choose from but you'll all know what kind of person I mean!

MagicMelon

Visit site
My only current annoyance is doing up a girth on my sons pony, his saddle is brand new and the straps are taking forever to soften (despite rubbing leather food in regularly) so its hell to get it done up.

emmad96

Visit site
Theres this trend where i graze of looping the tail of the 'quick' release knot through its self over and over again, defeating the purpose of a quick release knot...

People feeding three different kinds of (mag based) calmer because 'oh well one just doesnt work'