Totally shocked at this.....

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Does that RSPCA officer know anything about horses??? I think not, sheesh about 12 months minimum growth there. Typical of a so called charity who do nothing and argue the toss instead of learning about feet and how they grow.

As she said politely * Prat*!!!!

be positive

Visit site
That sounds very similar to a conversation I had with an RSPCA inspector many years ago, 4 neglected horses nearby with local people complaining to both the RSPCA and WHW, nothing ever seemed to change and one day while driving past I noticed the inspectors van parked outside the field, I couldn't stop then but on my way back I did and found a note with a message for the owner saying something to the effect of "you seem to have been away for a few days and I need you to contact me urgently, I have given them hay and water, please phone xxxxxxx" so I phoned and had the most ridiculous conversation where I was told the owner "is doing his best" that the mare that was worst had been" pulled down by foaling", I pointed out that the "foal" was now 21/2 so plenty of time to get weight back on. She defended him, made excuses as to why they had no water, no hay, there was more ragwort than grass and the place was littered with bits of scrap, chain harrows and various other hazards, their feet were appalling and they had manes and tails completely stuck with burrs, I removed a headcollar that was cutting into the nose of one of the youngsters, not really allowed but I couldn't leave it when I knew the RSPCA were doing nothing other than seeming to excuse and help him.

I don't know the outcome other than rumour that one youngster broke a leg and was found several days later, the others went over a period of time but there was certainly no prosecution, it seems to me they pick and choose their cases, some people get "help" others, possibly the easy or big publicity ones, get the full force thrown at them.

JJS

Visit site
Presuming that the video provides an accurate representation of the scenario, the attitude and ineptitude on display is appalling. How any professional could feel that they had responded appropriately in this instance is beyond me.
The one positive that comes out of the situation is that someone, at least, is fighting their corner.

rascal

Visit site
That is disgusting, the person on the other end of the phone clearly hasn't a clue! Doesn't care much either apparently.
When our loan pony came back, the farrier said she hadn't been trimmed for several months, but her feet were no where near as long as the poor pony in the film.

be positive

Visit site
Why not contact the British Horse Society Welfare Department as they have trained volunteer Welfare officers in nearly every county of the country?
Telephone Number: 02476 840517 or E-mail: welfare@bhs.org.uk

They will probably get the same response I did, once the RSPCA are involved no other welfare organisation will go in, there seems to be some sort of "deal" that prevents WHW or the BHS from doing anything without consulting the inspector that has already been in, it is a ridiculous situation that the equine charities back off when they should step in as they have far more experience and knowledge but sadly far less money and lack the "power" that the RSPCA wearing a uniform seem to have.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
They will probably get the same response I did, once the RSPCA are involved no other welfare organisation will go in, there seems to be some sort of "deal" that prevents WHW or the BHS from doing anything without consulting the inspector that has already been in, it is a ridiculous situation that the equine charities back off when they should step in as they have far more experience and knowledge but sadly far less money and lack the "power" that the RSPCA wearing a uniform seem to have.

That is how I understood it as well. From the facebook post it would appear they have also contacted WHW but no news as to whether they are able to help. Just to reiterate, I am not involved in this case, nor near to it (Bideford, Devon apparently), but just saw the link on facebook.

Elbie

Visit site
I just don't get it when she said "it's not the crime of the century". Well no love it isn't but you are working for a charity to protect animals from cruelty. That horse was clearly suffering so you would kind of think they'd be a bit more on the case.

Knockadoon

Visit site
I'm a bit confused. Are they talking about the grey pony in the film or the one with the black legs in the pictures?

madlady

Visit site
Another prime example of why the RSPCA should direct any calls regarding welfare of horses to the BHS or WHW - at least their officers know more about horses than you can write on the back of a postage stamp.

Yet again another fail by the RSPCA where horses are concerned.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Doesn't surprise me at all as we had two ponies on the farm where I kept my girl whose feet weren't far off this. They were often kept in for weeks at at time (we were told they were elderly and had arthritis but when I looked at their teeth one day, one was about 9 and the other in its 20s), only mucked out once a week and not on deep litter either, so they spent their days lying in their own filth with a bit of hay chucked over the door. Water was not even checked daily , let alone replaced. YO told us to mind our own business so when one livery moved off she called the RSPCA and reported them. Since the owner didn't come down all that much they didn't see the note, or certainly didn't take any notice - RSPCA made no attempt to contact them at home. The feet did get done, and interestingly the little grey pony which walked even worse than the one in the video, started playing and running around once its legs had adapted to its new way of moving. Needless to say, in 3 months the feet were terrible again, another call was made to the RSPCA who just left another note. Stable management never improved one jot, and since the ponies were rarely handled, they got wilder and wilder. The elderly one was getting in quite a state, its rug no longer fitted due to weight loss and was cutting in to it. I don't suppose it had ever had its teeth done It really should have been PTS. I was told the owner got most of her income from being a prostitute, so clearly she was too busy on her back to come up and see to her animals. Poor little souls.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
saw this on a group on FB a few days ago...Turned into a slagging match as there was some girl who thought he RSPCA were holier than thou and how dare anyone question them etc etc

alidav

Visit site
Hi, I'm the person in the video talking to Wadey of the RSPCA. I couldn't believe her attitude. The convo started off ok although a little abrupt but when she claimed that the ponies and donkeys (about 30 in all) were seen by a farrier in a block booking I knew this conversation was going the wrong way. That's when I grabbed my other mobile and started recording. None of the ponies or donkeys we saw last Friday (4th March 2016) had recently had their feet trimmed. I am a horse owner and currently have a dozen so know a trimmed foot when I see one. I've been contacted by a former tenant of the farm and she reported these ponies TWO YEARS ago and again she is a horse owner. She was so upset and disgusted that the RSPCA came out and basically failed in their duty to follow up etc (I have no idea if the feet were trimmed then but will ask) that she gave notice and left the property. So this is not a new situation . We aren't giving up on this. My daughter and I have a page on facebook called Weaving Dreams and we will post what we can, when we can. In the meantime I think anyone donating to the RSPCA may want to reconsider and instead donate their money to WHW or the like.

Summer pudding

Visit site
Words fail me...the poor, poor animals...where are they? How about pics for the local press, in addition to contacting all the charities? Well done the original person who contacted the RSPCA, even it was a fat lot of good, and for staying with the case. Let's hope this has a speedy resolution..nobody could leave these animals untreated with a clear conscience.

Last edited:

alidav

Visit site
Summer Pudding (love the name) the press are onto it. Lots of organisations are aware but don't want to tread on the RSPCA's feet as the WHW believe they are dealing with it but I am concerned they will perhaps sort the situation out now but let it slide againa nd those ponies will be suffering once more until someone comes across them again years down the line. It's not on. If the fat cats didn't bag all the donations for themselves and passed it down the line then there would be more TRAINED inspectors covering the UK and doing the job that I suspect many of the inspectors want to do.

DD

Visit site
every one should ring the phone numbers in my signature and tell them all about this case. Lets pull together and get something done.

samlf

Visit site
This also popped up on my news feed - clearly the pony in the video is suffering as a result of the hideously overgrown feet, and it looks like there are photos in the video of other ponies with similar feet so presuming they are owned by the same person, it does look like a simple case of neglect. Surely this type of thing is the RSPCA's bread and butter, so I cant understand why they are unable to deal with it - allow I do understand that perhaps due to confidentiality they are unable to discuss it further and I can also understand that if they did meet with the owner who agreed to comply completely, then they wouldn't be rushing in and removing the ponies when rescues are overflowing already.

Clearly the attitude of the person on the end of the phone was stand offish, although I must admit I found the attitude of the caller rather aggressive too and this doesn't usually help matters.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Hi, I'm the person in the video talking to Wadey of the RSPCA. I couldn't believe her attitude. The convo started off ok although a little abrupt but when she claimed that the ponies and donkeys (about 30 in all) were seen by a farrier in a block booking I knew this conversation was going the wrong way. That's when I grabbed my other mobile and started recording. None of the ponies or donkeys we saw last Friday (4th March 2016) had recently had their feet trimmed. I am a horse owner and currently have a dozen so know a trimmed foot when I see one. I've been contacted by a former tenant of the farm and she reported these ponies TWO YEARS ago and again she is a horse owner. She was so upset and disgusted that the RSPCA came out and basically failed in their duty to follow up etc (I have no idea if the feet were trimmed then but will ask) that she gave notice and left the property. So this is not a new situation . We aren't giving up on this. My daughter and I have a page on facebook called Weaving Dreams and we will post what we can, when we can. In the meantime I think anyone donating to the RSPCA may want to reconsider and instead donate their money to WHW or the like.

Thank you for posting. It seems a horrendous situation and I am sure many people on here will be backing you up. There are also lots of knowledgeable people here who have dealings with similar situations, so please ask for advice if you want it. Thank you for caring. This is the link to your page https://www.facebook.com/Weaving-Dreams-1552240135010196/?fref=ts for anyone who wants to see. x

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Re the not getting involved if the RSPCA already is that is often the case but the BHS did get involved with Carrot and Spud after the RSPCA and their vet had concluded they were just old.... so it does/can happen with enough pressure (Burghley was on at the time, BHS welfare head honcho was there I think so approached ;) )

Clodagh

Visit site
The grey pony is also obese, IMO, I though that was now regarded as cruel as emaciated. I think the caller did well to keep her temper, mind you so did the RSPCA bod. It is a worry that a welfare charity feel this is fine and no problem. I hope that alidav can keep us informed.

mcnaughty

Visit site
They are happy to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds trying to prosecute innocent huntsmen, destroy loved elderly pets without owner's consent but ignore the basic needs of horses.