Towing vehicle ideas please. Must be automatic.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
As above really. Having discovered that my friends recent purchase of an x trail auto will not be suitable for her needs I am looking for ideas for something else, must be an automatic and have a towing capacity for a double trailer with two horses.

blitznbobs

Visit site
There are loads it depends what she wants.

Over the years I’ve has

Toureag - tows like a dream
Full fat Range Rover - tows like a dream
Xc90 - tows but it’s a bit weedy, superb car in every other way
Shogun - tows like a dream I wasn’t keen on it as an every day car ... didn’t eat up the. Miles like the others
Kia sorrento- a bit weedy towing but a good budget option

Annagain

Visit site
The new Defender was launched yesterday, it’s only £45k!

Seriously though, if you only want it for towing and don’t have to do many other miles in it, you won’t go far wrong with an old Defender.

ETA - sorry, scrap that just remembered you want an auto. Auto Defenders are few and far between and are usually limited editions so very expensive still.

dixie

Visit site
Ssangyong Rexton. I have the automatic, it tows effortlessly up to 3,5 tonnes and they are cheaper to buy than some of the other models. I’ve had it 3yrs and it’s been very reliable too.

Also Nissan Terranos if a smaller budget as they are quite old now and Jeep Cherokees.

CMcC

Visit site
VW Touareg. I had a Tiguan which wasn’t great for towing. A friend told me to get a Touareg as “you won’t know you are towing”, I thought that was the most stupid thing she had ever said. But it is true.

cadefan

Visit site
Yes sorry got to be an auto I’m afraid. It’s going to be a second car just for towing and yard stuff so looking to keep to a few thousand pounds rather than new defender territory:)
Hi I’m selling my amazing black Touareg 3.0 v6 Altitude, 2007 message me if interested 🙂

Leo Walker

Visit site
We got done over with an auto xtrail a couple of months ago. Towing capacity of 1350! It went back. A manual xtrail wont pull and Ifor and two horses though. You are looking at towing over 2000kgs, so need a tow capacity of 2500kg ish really to give you some lee way. So you are looking at a big 4x4 rather than the SUV type 4x4s.

If its a second car just for horse stuff then we've had a landrover discovery and a terrano, both autos. Both well under a grand to buy and both nice to drive. The Terrano was the more sensible buy but I loved the landrover to the point I cried when it finally died and was taken away. I drove the landrover from one end of the country to the other towing things and it was an amazing tow car. It would have pulled my house if I'd asked it to. The terrano was cheaper to run and repair though.

If you have a few thousand and your only criteria is auto and decent towing capacity there are so many to choose from. It depends how far you want to travel. There are auto 4x4s about but they tend to be few and far between in the second hand market. I'd see what you can find in your local area and make sure you check the tow capacity first, although with the big 4x4s being an automatic doesnt tend to affect the tow capacity the way it does the smaller 4x4s

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
^^^^ Shogun, I have a 14 plate LWB. Brilliant tow vehicles, plus the newer Shoguns are very civilised with good turning circles, leather seats, reversing camera etc etc. I had wanted a manual one, but they are like hens teeth, and I am now totally converted to the joys of automatics :).

It bosses my Ifor 510 with 2 horses up. I can also easily park it at Sainsbury’s :D.

McFluff

Visit site
I would be tempted to look at an old Range Rover. Total passenger comfort and really won't feel the trailer. Especially as it won't be their primary car. My Mum cried when hers finally died - it was decades old by that point and had been to the moon and back!

GTRJazz

Visit site
A lot of vans will tow on the downside you would get stuck in a muddy field https://www.vansdirect.co.uk/large-vans-guide-towing-capacities

For me the old 3.1 Isuzu Trooper AKA Big horn is the best but now quite old, but there are still a few low mileage examples around. I still have mine which has a manual gearbox but most are Auto and can still be imported from Japan
The later 3.0 Trooper had a lot of faults so do not get one of those.

gemisastar

Visit site
I have a ssangyong rexton 2.7 auto, it has a 3.5 tonne towing capacity. Mine has been very reliable apart from some niggles due to its age (2004), they can be bought quite cheaply and there are quite a few low mileage examples around. Not the prettiest of cars but I love mine!!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have a ssangyong rexton 2.7 auto, it has a 3.5 tonne towing capacity. Mine has been very reliable apart from some niggles due to its age (2004), they can be bought quite cheaply and there are quite a few low mileage examples around. Not the prettiest of cars but I love mine!!

I've got a Korando and I absolutely love it! It tows 2000kgs and does between 35 and 50mpg depending where I'm driving and if I'm towing or not. They are definitely much cheaper than other brand equivalents. I'd definitely recommend them. The Korando would be no good for OP but the Rexton would be perfect.