Trailer downsizing - double to single, anyone done it?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Anyone done it? Any regrets?

I took my trusty (but rather large) 13 yo Ifor 510 classic trailer back to the supplying main dealer today for its annual service. Whilst it was there, I went for a mosey (as you do) round the shiny new trailers in stock. I’m very taken with the idea of getting a mare and foal aka a single trailer, as being more practical for my needs - it is narrower and would be easier to manoeuvre by older folk like us. I only ever travel one horse at a time these days, so don’t really need a double trailer. My biggest horse is a chunky 16.1hh IDx, who weighs in at 650kg.

I had a very good look round the recently released Ifor HBX-403, and I was very impressed. The stall width is 130 cm cf 179cm for the 510, so it is very generous for just one horse.

DAF39B10-BA25-4E1D-ADE0-24ECD19E1B77.jpeg

Am I mad to think of downsizing? My current main tow vehicle is a beefy 4x4 with a 3.5t tow limit, which I am very fond of, but it costs a lot to run. Our ‘reserve’ tow car, which has a tow limit of 2000kg, is much more economical and it would easily boss a single trailer with one big horse up.

J&S

Visit site
The owner of the big horse I ride made the change to a one horse trailer some years ago, horse is a chunky 16.hh Irish type, plenty of room. She tows with a big Range Rover and the trailer is narrower than the vehicle, this is the only problem, you can't see it behind you!
The lady who liveries with her also has a single horse trailer, slightly smaller lighter 15 hh horse, and tows very happily with an old Daihatsu. (sp?) They are both very pleased with their decisions.

Sassy Cat

New User
Visit site
I have a single trailer - my 16hh 550kg mare travels great and has lots of room. I tow with a Hyundai Santa Fe and have no problems at all with visibility of the trailer - I love that the trailer is the same width as the car so gives me confidence travelling along narrower lanes!!

madamebonnie

Visit site
I love my single trailer towing with a mondeo estate. Not sure how it's a problem 'not seeing' the trailer behind you...width wise its great because you know if the car fits, so will the trailer! Also there's a thing called a rear view mirror.

The weight of a single has huge hitching up advantages, you can literally pull them round into position or push back.

As holeymoley said tacking up inside is also a big advantage on those wet days

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’m liking these favourable responses, thank you for them, folks! Being able to tack up inside is a big plus.

The weight difference between the trailers is considerable. The 510 weighs 1000kg unladen, and is impossible to move singlehandedly. The HBX-403 weighs 720kg, which is the same as our old Rice Europa, and we could move that by hand.

I did wonder if it might look a bit silly hitched up to a LWB Shogun, but does that matter?! The dealer will hire us one for a few days to trial it and to see what the neds think. He’ll knock the hire fee off the purchase price if we go ahead and buy one. So I’ll get that organised and see how we fare. The run to and from the dealers involves a stretch of very busy M6 motorway, so it will be interesting to see how it tows empty - the 510 was awesome in the p1ssing rain yesterday.

madamebonnie

Visit site
That is actually the downside of the singles. I don't love towing mine empty! But will and can if I need to.

The other thing is during strong winds I'm the first to have to cancel my plans.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I love my single trailer. The only disadvantage is that you can't take a friend's horse out somewhere with you, though it can also have the advantage that nobody can cadge a lift :)

ihatework

Visit site
Is there enough room for you to get all the way around the horse and stud up (if that’s important?).

I use my big Bateson as a single (with partition removed) for my chunk and I’m not sure I’d want much less width to work around him inside

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The other thing is during strong winds I'm the first to have to cancel my plans.
That’s a good point that I hadn’t considered, being narrower it is bound to be more sensitive to strong cross winds. Though I’m a fair weather rider these days, so if it was very windy I probably wouldn’t venture out anyway.
Is there enough room for you to get all the way around the horse and stud up (if that’s important?).

I use my big Bateson as a single (with partition removed) for my chunk and I’m not sure I’d want much less width to work around him inside
Another good point. I don’t stud up but I may well put hoof boots on, so would be needing a similar amount of wriggle room. I’ll have a play when I hire the single trailer and see how practical it all is.

Thanks, all.

madamebonnie

Visit site
Another good point. I don’t stud up but I may well put hoof boots on, so would be needing a similar amount of wriggle room. I’ll have a play when I hire the single trailer and see how practical it all is.

Thanks, all.
You can certainly un stud in there. My friend had to the other day when she forgot to take them out before loading!

kinnygirl1

Visit site
I went double to single... I only had 1 horse and a car with a 2000 kg capacity so I didn't need the double and found it cumbersome to park and manoeuvre. I bought a 401 in really good condition and I love it. Horse travels well in it... I'm still rubbish at reversing tho😜

Dru

Visit site
I have a Cheval Liberte single trailer but haven't ever had a double. I love it, it's actually not much narrower than a double so the horse has plenty of room yet it's no wider than my car so no worries about getting through tight gaps.

If your horse can be trusted then you could boot up in there but mine's a little crazy so I wouldn't chance it.

fairyclare

Visit site
I have a Cheval Libtre single for sale (If anyone is interested) it tows like a dream, plenty of room in there to tack up and put boots on (never needed to stud up, we have no shoes!)
We towed it back empty from Lincolnshire to Essex, 3hrs 102 miles and it was lovely.
Its 745kg unladen and in comparison to our old Rice Europa, well there was no comparison.

Only for sale as one of my horses just can't get her head around travelling forwards so its back to the 3.5t box *Rolls eyes*

AngelaWB

Visit site
Really pleased I found this thread as I was about to ask exactly the same question for the same size/weight horse and for the same reasons lol! Is anyone towing with the HBX 403 yet, just wandering what your opinions are?

conniegirl

Visit site
I wen t down from a 3 horse lorry to s Cheval liberte 1 horse trailer.
Prior to the lorry I've had Ifor 505's.
So far I really rate the single horse trailer. Mine weighs 550kg unladen and is so easy to move by hand if needed.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Another with the cheval single horse. Easy peasy to deal with as so light, horse likes it and we can tow it with the Skoda yeti. Horse is 16.3hh and in 6’9” rugs and it has more stall space than some other trailers we viewed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’ve not taken the plunge yet, but it’s still very much on the cards. I will definitely hire the HBX 403 first, and for a full week so that that I can throughly test it out with both towcars and both horses to be sure that it will work for us.

ETA I like the padded sides and breast/breech bars as extras, but not the saddle cabinet. It would not take my 18” saddles.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My major thought would be more if you use the trailer for anything else, collecting hay, tip runs, moving house etc were all times where having extra space was useful. As well as trying to get changed in the pissing rain.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
^^^^ Yes, it’s reassuring having all that extra space if needed.

I haven’t travelled the current two on their own without a partition and in the cross ties. They’re good travellers with the partition in place, but it is a hassle to move it across each time for loading/unloading. So I should try that first, I think.

The senior mare doesn’t like trailers full stop. She always wanted a lorry.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
="MiJodsR2BlinkinTite, post: 14056155, member: 58726"]I'm following this with interest; am currently looking for a trailer, but finding a second-hand single trailer is like finding hens' teeth!

Just bought a 403 (though not the shiney new ones) and paid a lot more than I would have done for a double! I had to for the weight as I didnt want to do the test, but even for a complete towing novice (though I did have some lessons eith my ex instructor friend!) I am finding it fine!

Littlebear

Visit site
I had one for a while, i liked it so did my horse, had so many negative comments all the time about it though, it was a newish 403 and would regularly be told; 'oh i wouldn't put my horse in one of those', and other comments about the stability etc, all from people who had never used one!
I towed it with a big car and it did the job perfectly fine x

conniegirl

Visit site
Another with the cheval single horse. Easy peasy to deal with as so light, horse likes it and we can tow it with the Skoda yeti. Horse is 16.3hh and in 6’9” rugs and it has more stall space than some other trailers we viewed.
We also tow ours with a Skoda Yeti, but my pony is 13.2hh and in a 5ft9 rug so has masses of space!

My major thought would be more if you use the trailer for anything else, collecting hay, tip runs, moving house etc were all times where having extra space was useful. As well as trying to get changed in the pissing rain.

I've got changed in the front of mine with pony still in the trailer. Pony kept trying to eat my hair but other than that it was fine.

AngelaWB

Visit site
Tiddlypom would love to know how you get on with hiring one and what your thoughts are. I'm in the same boat as you, same weight horse too!

Kat

Visit site
Consider a lighter double too. My Bateson Deauville is light enough for me to push about as long as I don't need to push it up hill.