Trailer/horsebox breakdown recovery

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Just thinking about recovery in the event I breakdown while towing my trailer, who do people use? I don't have general breakdown cover as I just ring my dad!! But obviously even he can't work that miracle if I breakdown with my trailer!

My main priority, obviously, would be that my horse is taken care of. Who do you use?

Sealine

Visit site
I have RAC cover for car and PRP Rescue Horse Trailer Assist cover for trailer and horse. I pay for RAC cover with Tesco clubcard points. PRP membership is £45 per annum and covers recovery of trailer to destination or home, onward travel to UK destination for horse or recovery to a local stable including one night's livery.

Luckily I haven't had to use them so I can't comment on the service itself.

foraday

Visit site
When you insured your trailer they should have asked you about breakdown recovery!!!

Call them up and ask as this would be the cheapest!

However if you have got normal breakdown for the vehicle whether it be green flag, aa, rac etc then you just need an add on with Equine Rescue Service for the trailer and your horse.

http://www.equinerescue.co.uk/

StableMum

Visit site
We are with PRP for our trailer, but my understanding is that you have to have separate ordinary car cover as well. Around £50 a year I think and if I remember it worked out cheaper than if I added it to the trailer insurance with Seib.

equinerescue

Visit site
You can either go for two separate memberships, one for the car and and one for the trailer or you can have a combined car & trailer membership from www.equinerescue.co.uk/equicar. Whichever way you go, just make sure that the recovery company will send dedicated fresh horse transport to take your horse home (or wherever) and won't try and put your trailer on a low-loader lorry with the horse still in it.

webble

Visit site
You can either go for two separate memberships, one for the car and and one for the trailer or you can have a combined car & trailer membership from www.equinerescue.co.uk/equicar. Whichever way you go, just make sure that the recovery company will send dedicated fresh horse transport to take your horse home (or wherever) and won't try and put your trailer on a low-loader lorry with the horse still in it.

I have used these guys ^^ and they were great

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I have PRP via NFU for my 3.5. I had to use them last year and they were great.

One thing to be aware of with all equine breakdown services is that they of course have limited capacity/coverage so when everyone's horseboxes are on the road on a summer weekend if you break down you may have to wait a little longer to be rescued.

I was also initially a bit surprised when they turned up with a cattle box for me - but it was genius as they made a small 'pen' in the back with a full ceiling height partition and left my boy to maneuver himself into a position that suited him, rather than having to travel herringbone instead of backwards etc. He must have been comfy 'cos I didn't hear a single thump or bang all the way home :) The driver told me he also had a 6 stall box for breakdowns with multiple neds on board (just backed the cab into whichever was most suitable when he got the call) and had even picked up the Australian dressage team in the past!