Trailer test experiences!

EmmaB

Visit site
If anyone has done the test would you share your experiences please? I have had 5 hours training so far, have a further 4 hours booked and then the test is booked in for after that. I'm ok with the coupe/uncouple and reversing, its the road part I'm most scared about! I know from the training so far what I should be doing/how I should be driving but its so much to concentrate on I'm worried I'm going to make a stupid mistake on the day during the road part!!

So could anyone tell me how their road part went and what minors you got and what for please? And how strict the examiners are? I know I can drive well and safely but don't want to get little things wrong and mess up on the day...

sarahann1

Visit site
I failed miserably first time, passed no bother second time. The examiners are every bit as strict as on a normal test. I did get a couple of minors, can't for the life of me remember what for now!

Based on my own experiences, the things to work on are:

1) Reverse, it's a set manoeuvre in a shallow s shape into a box,
2) Your general speed up to roundabouts/junctions etc, go slow, then half a slow as that again and you'll be about right! I was so embarrassed at how slow I had to go, felt awful for holding folk up!,
3) Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, all the time, check your mirrors! Like every 3/4secs check your mirrors....
4) Remember your over the shoulder blind spot check.
5) Indicators, don't indicate early where another junction/road/exit is before your intended junction/exit - this is an instant fail.
6) Indicate out when you intend to pass stationary cars if a vehicle is travelling behind you.
7) Couple and uncouple, there is a set way of doing this for the test and getting it wrong is an instant fail.

I found the hardest part was fixing general driving faults accrued over the years, the towing part was the easy bit.

Good luck!!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I passed first time after a 2 day training course, despite the fact I had an awful time trying to pass my actual driving test :p I think it helped that I only took my driving test 2 years ago, so I remember most of how to "test drive". I think the most important thing with a trailer on is to approach every single junction/roundabout much slower than you think you need to. I got 1/2 minors for going too slow because I didn't notice that the speed limit had changed up, one for some very dodgy roundabout driving, some for hitching up/unhitching and if I got others I don't remember what they were for. My examiner was absolutely lovely, probably cut me more slack than he should have, but agree that they are essentially the same as a driving test examiner and you should be prepared for them to be just as strict. If you talk to your instructor about your worries in your next lessons I'm sure they'll make sure you get plenty of road driving practice in to help you feel confident, I'm sure you can get a lot more confident in your next 4 hours! Good luck :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
assuming you've been shown the 'fixed way' to do the couple etc ;)

I did about 6 hours +drive to test centre and passed fine first time.

I think it is important not to drive as if you have a horse in it and get up to speed with the road still etc. (not approaches to stuff but get aways)

My examiner spent the whole time talking about his honda goldwings and camping away on them with his wife. ... to start with I was ermm please shut up and let me concentrate.
Then I figured maybe it meant he was concentrating less, so joined in :D.
I think I had one pull forward in the reverse (iirc you are allowed two shunts?) and one issue at a roundabout where the associated traffic (and cyclist) meant I maybe waited longer than I needed to.

EmmaB

Visit site
Thanks guys, yeah I've been shown the right order to couple uncouple and have been doing that each time I use my own trailer at home to really cement that into my head! Also done the reversing manoeuvre fine I'm not particularly worried about that but have got another session planned just to perfect that anyway!

I also feel like I'm going way too slow and holding people up which I hate but I guess its the same as any learner. I've got more hours booked for road driving too so hopefully it will be fine I just really really want to pass so hope the nerves don't ruin it for me and make my brain forgot how to think!

Ester I think I'd hate them to be trying to chat but maybe you're​ right about them concentrating less if they do haha :D

starfish8

Visit site
I'm on my third attempt, first two times I failed on a single error on the roads so I would say yes, the examiners can be extremely picky. Based on my two failures - always brake really gently and well in advance of any roundabouts/junctions/lights, make a point of checking your mirrors before you slow down, ALWAYS stay in the left hand lane where it is possible, if you feel like there is a judgement to be made (e.g. I stopped and waited behind a bus rather than going round) explain why. Don't forget to ask the examiner to check your lights with you on the hitching up section - if you forget that's an instant fail. The reverse

Make all your mirror checks super obvious, learn the questions from the DVLA website off by heart and good luck!!

RubysGold

Visit site
I fell to pieces on my first test. My reverse Park (no exaggeration) I pulled forward at least 12 times. I just lost my nerve. I also failed on couple/uncouple. I forgot to wind my jockey wheel the other way to prove it was safely connected on the car.
Second test. I failed. And was so angry at myself. My car had a button for a handbrake and in all the nerves I totally overlooked pressing it!!! Handbrake off. Instant fail obviously.

My road driving was good, only a couple of minors per test. I did pass third time.
Remember to indicate round cyclists. Remember your blind spot check. Mirror before signal or manoeuvre.
If going straight over a roundabout don't forget to indicate off (I got two minors for that)
Oh and when you do your independent drive, don't assume you've completed it. He will tell you when you've done it. I thought I'd finished, so when I got to a roundabout and he didn't tell me where to go I "followed the road ahead" like they tell you to do.....I went completely off test route and had to be guided back. He wasn't amused

Most importantly for me, I learnt, in test, when asked to do the reverse and uncouple. Stop and breathe first. Do not rush into it. Slow down and take your time. My first reverse I just bulldozed into it with nerves and I couldn't get it right!

Good luck :) update when you've done it :)

Last edited:

alainax

Visit site
I absolutely loved it! I love driving though!

The main test is just like a normal driving test, so if your already a driver it's very straightforward ( as long as you don't have bad habits or make daft mistakes!)

The reversing is fun, a new skill to learn!

Farma

Visit site
I felt like mine was 100 x more relaxed and easy going than my car test, the examiner was just chatting to me the whole time and made it feel like we were just going for a drive together, I guess I was lucky! Even at one point he told me I was at the wrong speed limit and I still passed!
The reversing part is ok, you are allowed one correction I think so as long as you know the correct way to do things you will be fine! Good luck x

ROG

Visit site
Doing a B+E/LGV/PCV test - the examiners know they have a driver with experience so the dynamic is very different from the car test

taraj

Visit site
I passed mine first time in June, 18 years after taking my driving test which I failed 3 times!! Listen to what your instructor is telling you and relax.
Check mirrors every few seconds, make sure this is very obvious and check blind spot. When you pull up in traffic make sure you leave plenty of room in front of you and the car in front (in case they break down apparently!). Drive positively if you can, staying inside speed limits!. I took the test in the instructors vehicle and (massive!)trailer as I was worried about bad habits in my own vehicle.
I suffer from anxiety so this was a huge thing for me to do, when I was told I had passed it was an amazing feeling!.

Breagha

Visit site
I did 6 hours training on the Tuesday and went back on the Thursday for my test (they couldnt get it on the day after). I passed first time - thankfully. Just remember to relax, when I was practicing the reversing, I was doing it perfectly and then I started to over think it and messed it up but once I got it again, I stopped doing it.

I said I wasnt going to do anymore tests after that one but I am now planning doing my class 2 in the near future. :D

godfreyy

Visit site
As everyone else has said, remember: mirrors, mirrors, mirrors!

You're allowed to pull forward, to sort yourself out, twice on your reverse manoeuvre. And you only get 1 minor if you use both shunts. (I pulled forward once and got 1 minor, but my instructor kept repeating in my lessons that you're allowed 2 shunts so don't be afraid to use them if you've over/under cooked the turn!!)

The couple/uncouple just take step by step. I found writing it down and then checking it helped me memorise it.

And the driving - they'll be looking for you to check your mirrors so, so many times. Slow and smooth into junctions/stops. Check your mirrors before every move - going to indicate? Check your mirrors. Slowing down? Check your mirrors. Speeding up? Check your mirrors.

inthehills

Visit site
This is a very useful post- I'm looking to rebook a test after failing. As others have said, I think the more recently you have done your car test, the easier it probably is. I passed my car test a few months after the towing rule came in (1997) and went on a two day trailer course recently. I found remembering how to drive correctly the hardest part and unfortunately all the nerves I had as an 18 year old came rushing back on the morning of the test.

I got minors for lane discipline not being 100% on roundabouts and going over the speed limit- I thought that one was going to be a fail but apparently as I corrected immediately (a proper oh ***** it's a 30 not 40 moment!) it is just a minor. I don't know the town the test centre is in that well, so it's worth familiarising yourself with the speed limits and tricky junctions if you don't either.

Try your best to get a test at a quieter time of day- mine was in rush hour (booked by the company I did the course with) which was a nightmare and I failed as I went into a box junction to turn right at traffic lights, but then the traffic backed up the other way (over the box junction) and I couldn't pull through. I thought this was unfair as cars shouldn't have been blocking the box junction, but the examiner said I shouldn't have pulled into the box junction when the way wasn't clear. Just one of those things, and probably would have been ok if the traffic hadn't been choca.

EmmaB

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone, its a massive help just reading everyones experiences! My test is going to be 10am on a monday so hoping it will be fairly quiet at that time, or at least not mega busy.

taraj

Visit site
This is a very useful post- I'm looking to rebook a test after failing. As others have said, I think the more recently you have done your car test, the easier it probably is. I passed my car test a few months after the towing rule came in (1997)

This is why I had to take my test, but only last year, although I have been towing for years with L plates and a person with "granddad rights!"
I found using the trainers car and trailer helped with bad habits as I knew I had to be disciplined when driving it!

EmmaB

Visit site
Hi guys just an update to say I passed my b+e on Monday! :D

I spent ages reading every single trailer test thread on here and it all helped so thought I'd post my experience incase it helps anyone else.

Iwas pretty nervous about it, mostly I was worried I would make a stupid mistake and cost myself loads of money having to retake it, so on the morning we did some last minute practice and I ********d up the reverse 5 times! But then in the test it was the first thing we did and I did it fine! Then we did couple uncouple which was fine. And then the road part which I was most worried about but the examiner was really nice and the time flew by. Before I knew it we were heading back to the test centre. There were times when I thought ah, made a little mistake there, but the only things I got minors for were progession of speed and pedestrian crossing (flashing amber light, I knew I could go but my brain stopped working and I waited too long!).

So I think they are definitely not as harsh as I was expecting, and it's definitely worth doing!! I had 11 hours of lessons (including the test day) I know some people get through it with less but that was just me. :)

starfish8

Visit site
Well done!! Have you got your first outing planned?

I think the examiner makes such a difference - I passed a couple of weeks ago on third attempt, with a different examiner the third time, and it was a completely different experience. He was trying to make me less nervous, making conversation etc, whereas I'm sure the one I had the first two times was trying to make it more nerve-wracking!!

EmmaB

Visit site
Thanks! Yep I'm thinking of hiring out some local showjumps this week :D

Ah sorry you had a naff examiner first! Well done for passing through! Yeah I guess a big part of it is just luck of who you get, mine chatted a little at first asking me about my horses which made me feel more relaxed, and then went quiet and left me to it which was also nice so I could concentrate.

ROG

Visit site
Hi guys just an update to say I passed my b+e on Monday! :D

welldone.gif
fireworks9.gif
fireworks11.gif
fireworks10.gif
welldone.gif

Last edited:

coss

Visit site
I had a day's training (relaxed 8.00-16.00) - had to have the load of the trailer modified in the lunch break as i couldn't hitch up (weight too far back - i stood on the hitch and still couldn't get it to hitch onto the tow ball!). Hill starts were tricky but i suspect that was because the trailer was at full capacity (if not over) my car's! The hill starts were also very steep hills. I got 2 minors, One for indicating to late on the approach to a roundabout (was trying to make sure it didn't look like i was indicating to go into a petrol station) and the 2nd for my downhill start. Uphill had been a car struggle but successful. Instructors had told me to do downhill starts in 2nd gear (not something i would naturally do), I did as instructed and car nearly stalled but managed to adjust clutch control to prevent stalling and remained vigilant of surroundings etc so that was fine.
Make sure when you're hitching up that if you get out to check that you're lined up and how much further back you need to go that you turn the engine off and take the keys out. Double check handbrake on the trailer before hitching up (even though you just unhitched) - then if you give it a slight bump it won't move and they won't quibble.
The other thing that was frustrating in training was i had to go over speed bumps (they were potentially a test route) and the jockey wheel would hit the speed bumps - nothing i could do about the height of towbar or jockey wheel.
For the test - the examiner put his mirrors on my mirrors and had it set at a particularly awkward angle such that i only had about a 3rd of my mirror useable, the other two 3rds were a reflection of the mirror he'd put on. Made the reversing manoeuvre more challenging - so i swung wide of the cone to ensure i missed it then had to majorly over correct to get in the box. Once the examiner got in the car he adjusted his mirror and then i could see properly for the road run. The stressful part was i hit the window lock button so couldn't get my window down for him to adjust at first (didn't want my car to seem like it wasn't fit for purpose) had a minor panic then realised what button i'd hit and voila, examiner none the wiser for my error and altered his mirror.
In hindsight id' have had his mirror adjusted before doing the reverse manoeuvre but hey ho... still passed. Instructors warned me to go much slower in the reverse than i wanted to go so as not to appear too cocky. Since my horsebox/car was under the weight limit for a Cat B I was very familiar with towing and didn't think i was going fast!

just read up and see you passed - well done :)