Training problem / possible ulcers

Debbie Philippe

New User
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forums so excuse me if I get this wrong. I have a 6 year old gelding who I'm having real problems with and need help. Last summer he started refusing to go forward and would try and roll on the floor if I insisted. I went through all the normal things like dentist, backman, saddle etc and then my trainer suggested possible ulcers as he was worse on the right rein so finally I had him scoped and he had grade 2 ulcers. I couldn't afford Gastroguard so I put him on Nexium which is Emaprazole. He then improved after a 2 month break so we started working him again and all seemed good until around 6 weeks ago when he started napping and refusing to trot particularly on the right rein again. I put him back on Nexium but this time no real difference. He is the sort who would try it on but normally I would get after him and he would go. I have a friend riding him tonight as I just want to check it's not me causing the problem. Has anybody else gone through this sort if thing? Back and saddle etc all been checked again.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
My horse kept getting reoccurring ulcers grade 4. Each time she scoped clear they would come back. Eventually had to send her for a lameness work up which showed bilateral 1/10 lameness. Hocks were injected, ulcers never returned. So id imagine there is a reason your horses ulcers have returned, its just finding out the reason unfortunately

JumpTheMoon1

Visit site
Ive never seen so many ulcer problems !! Ive never had one horse who has had ulcers - never.
Has he got shoes on ? have you checked them ? hooves all ok ?
You say he tries it on and is ok once you get after him.He just might need to know who is boss and in control here.
See how your friend gets on tonight.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
You can't know this unless you've had all your horses scoped. Random scoping studies have shown that they are very common even in horses with no symptoms.
This - foals are also very prone on weaning. So it happens at all ages.

Debbie Philippe

New User
Visit site
Ive never seen so many ulcer problems !! Ive never had one horse who has had ulcers - never.
Has he got shoes on ? have you checked them ? hooves all ok ?
You say he tries it on and is ok once you get after him.He just might need to know who is boss and in control here.
See how your friend gets on tonight.
Hi, my friend had the same problems as I did. I didn't think he was trying it on but needed to rule it out. I have now found a vet called Spike Milligen who has been recommended by quite a few people so he going to have a look at him in a week or so. Hopefully we can get to the bottom on whatever is going on.