Trakehner

Chocoholic

Visit site
Hi do any of you own a trakehner
Just wondering what their like as an all rounder also is their trot like a normal horses gait or are they classed as trotters/pacers

thanks in advance x

ihatework

Visit site
Trakheners are warmbloods, they come in different shapes and sizes but often can be more blood. They are sporthorses not pacers/trotters

planete

Visit site
The two I have known were very sharp and clever and needed a very good rider. One of them was competing at Prix St George level. The other one was a four year old mare at the time and quite a handful.

[139672]

Visit site
I was very lucky to ride the Lloyds bank stallion Downlands Cancara. He was amazing and my riding instructor, who gave me some lessons on him, used to compete on him at Goodwood in Dressage. He was fantastic to ride. Happy memories :) He had a lovely temperament and was very calm, not sharp but he had been very well schooled and experienced a lot of things when working for Lloyds. He even went inside the Lloyds Chichester bank once. He was a bit nervous obviously but very well behaved.

Petalpoos

Visit site
I have a mare. She certainly is not a trotter - just a mostly TB / Arab cross warmblood as all warmbloods are. Very strong willed though, and she had a very evil phase when she turned 7. A few people had told me to expect that and they were right! She did get over it, but they are big and strong and quick, or at least mine is, and I don't think she is atypical of the breed.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I was very lucky to ride the Lloyds bank stallion Downlands Cancara. He was amazing and my riding instructor, who gave me some lessons on him, used to compete on him at Goodwood in Dressage. He was fantastic to ride. Happy memories :) He had a lovely temperament and was very calm, not sharp but he had been very well schooled and experienced a lot of things when working for Lloyds. He even went inside the Lloyds Chichester bank once. He was a bit nervous obviously but very well behaved.
I rode a trakehner stallion Roland at his grading alongside Cancara, also 4 years old. Fancy you knowing him!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had a part bred who i bought at 15 months, she had a fabulous temperament and i lost her at 24. never heard of them as trotters, they are warmbloods..

SEL

Visit site
Going back 15 years now.... very much a warmblood. Sane when he was worked a lot, stresshead when not. Good fun ride and definitely 'normal' horse paces

I'd have another.

Pippity

Visit site
I used to share a Trak x Shire, and she was amazing. Intelligent enough to take the mickey with a novice, but if you pressed the right buttons, she was like riding a cloud. She got to Advanced Medium in dressage before an injury left her mechanically lame, but she was still a fabulous schoolmistress.

Welsh Dragon

Visit site
This was my childhood dream, my bedroom walls had many posters of Downlands Cancara. ?

scruffyponies

Visit site
A friend of mine had a stallion at his stud. It was calm and mannerly, even when there were mares about or his little sh*t of a welsh A stallion was being a complete twerp not 20 feet away.

It had a better life than most stallions as it was turned out in the field with the colts, to the great benefit of both.

Tarragon

Visit site
A very good friend of mine had a full Trakehner and a TB x Trakehner. Beautiful and sensitive horses, who were very trainable and were very well behaved, but probably needed the expert care they were given to be like that.

eventer and proud

Visit site
Hi do any of you own a trakehner
Just wondering what their like as an all rounder also is their trot like a normal horses gait or are they classed as trotters/pacers

thanks in advance x
I sold by trakehner back in the summer (the one in my profile pic!), had him for 3 1/2 years and honeslty had the best temperment, we went swimming bareback etc. His trot was normal, they are WBs. It was unusual for us not get in the 20s in our dressage with the judges always commenting how lovely his trot/paces were! He wasn't stressy at all,