Transexual wants sex change/hormone therapy on the NHS

conniegirl

Visit site
haveago, have you looked at the statistics reacently? Have you been round a ward and actualy taken a good look at the shoddy care and infection control procedures that a large number of nurses practice (i have and i admit there are some nurses out there who are very good at thier jobs, and truely care, but they are vastly outnumbered by those that dont), have good look round, Britain has the highest rate of MRSA infection in Europe or america.
The NHS is the laughing stock of the European health services, It is well known that you often come out sicker then you go in.

Not all hospitals are bad but the vast majority of them are understaffed, underfunded and often dirty.

My grandmother was killed by MRSA that she got in a hospital
When i went into hospital and had my appendix out i Got a horrific infection that landed me back in hospital for 2 weeks.
If i wasnt bound by confidentiality agreements i could list off at least anouther 20 cases I have personaly delt with were people have come back from hospital sicker then when they went in!

Not ignorant, personal experiance with the oppinions of a great many health care proffessionals to back it up.

The NHS nearly killed my mother, a 4am drive to belgium with your mother in agony in the seat next to you because the NHS wont do a thing for her does somewhat put you off the NHS.
We got to belgium and within 2 hours of arriving on the hospital doorstep she had an emergancy operation and we were told that if she had been left for an hur longer she would have been DEAD! and that the belgian health service would have offered her the non emergancy surgery 2 years previously!

CAYLA

Visit site
Must say after my OH went in for spinal surgery recently and my sister I was appauled by the care they recieved, and the state and cleanliness of the hospital(disgusting) and the way I was treat as a visitor, I work in a vets and the animals are treat better and the clinic is cleaner
crazy.gif

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
surely mental health is as important as physical health...

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to most on HHO or the Gov/NHS sadly
smirk.gif

Maybe it's because depression is banded about so easily now that people dont take it seriously ("god I am so depressed,I diddnt get the horse/promotion/car I wanted) and other mental illnes is still taboo.
Anyone who thinks NHS hospitals give bad treatment should take a look around the mental health sector-patiants having to FIGHT FOR YEARS to get ANY treatment,being dropped for not attending apointments when the service worker cancled on them then going back on waiting lists,huge budget cuts,OT equipment left to gather dust because there is no funding for its use.....the list is endless.
If a person is suffering from a mental health condition it is just as important that they get treatment as it is someone with a physcal problem gets treated.
Shame it doesnt work that way.
Oh, /rantoff
tongue.gif

For non essentilal surgery I hink it should be done on the NHS at cost for a case like a transgender op or a small profit(compared to the private sector) for things like breast ops the person simply wants.
It would also save a fair amount of money since they wouldnt have to fix promlems cased by cheap crap surgery abroad.
The extra cash from doing it cheaper then private could be put back into the NHS pot to provide more treatment/cleaner hospitals ect.

hezza1

Visit site
Conniegirl i know some hospitals are not the best , but i work in one and i can assure you we do our utmost to keep our ward as hygienic as we can , of course infections will be picked up but you will get that in any hospital not just Nhs, that was the point i was trying to get across. I will defend our wee hospital to anybody we are experts on hand washing we even have an inspector who comes round and does audits to make sure we do it after every task and that we do it properly !!. at the moment though we are being fitted for special masks and being shown how to manage Swine Flu.
ooo.gif

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8045268.stm
I don't think he should get it..sorry but the NHs is overstretched as it is.
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I wake up tomorrow with certain new dangling bits between my legs, you'll probably hear my scream across the sea! I'm pretty sure I would be devastated and everything would feel so incredibly wrong. And my first thoughts would probably be about "Which is the sharpest knife in our kitchen?"
On other hand, she was born with them, they didn't just turn up over night and I don't know, in a way I don't think your NHS should pay, but I'm not sure her life is worth less than others with problems.

I think to some degree the responses on here, is about how the person comes across. Let's just say that I'm glad it's not "my" tax money on the line, but I'm also aware that I don't know how the article + news-clip on TV, have been edited, some do have a habit of making things sound in a way that they think will be noticed the most by the readers/viewers.

crazy.gif
(but with sympathy)

Biscuit

Visit site
The NHS already pays for all sorts of minor ailments. I think this could potentially be way more than a minor issue for the person concerned in terms of mental health.

If, in the professional opinion of a doctor or psychiatrist this is important for a patient's mental health and well being then I don't see why it should not be covered.

http://www.lauras-playground.com/transsexual_transgender_suicide_memorial%20.htm

nippie221

New User
Visit site
I do understand where people come from ... but! Should the NHS pay for the following

Treatment for STD's? (almost always preventable)
Injuries from high risk sport?
Addicts of any sort?
Cancer caused by lifestyle? (sunbeds, smoking)
Obesity treatments?
Anorexia/Bulimia (If fat people just need to eat less do 'thin' people just need to eat more?)
Termination of pregnancy?
Wart/mole removal?]
Illegal Immigrants?

All either preventable of unecessary? I haven't read the story of the transexual but in principle if it is ruining his/her life then why shouldn't they receive treatment if all the above attract funds?

xx

How can you say anything about cancer being equal to having a sex change, I watched my mother suffer from breast cancer screaming and crying in pain for six months before she past away when i was 13, she ate healthly and was very active, people make mistakes in their life by smoking and some give up for 20 years and STILL contract lung cancer,

Anorexia is a mental problem that is very hard to control it's not their fault, and talking about immigrants what about Nadia from big brother SCROUNGING of the nhs for a sex change.

Your arguement is unfounded and juvenile, Children at the age of 3 even less have lukemia an die from it Painful and slow death because there isn't enough funds for research.

If anyone wants a sex change and they haven't got the money go to school and study and find a good job and save their money and then go and have the op, It makes my blood boil when people sit here and complain about the nhs not paying for TS operations, this country has more pressing things to worry about than petty people crying about "oh i'm a man trapped in a womans body" ETC.

The goverment isn't there for you to change you're appearance to make you feel better, I suffer from severe depression and it's to do with the way i look, I'm not going be so self centred as to cry and ask for plastic surgery from the Nhs, i seek mental help, people are out there that suffer from unbarable pain every day and you are tying to justify TS.... What a joke!

olop

Visit site
One of the reasons I hate the NHS - everyone seems to have an opinion on who should be treated & who shouldnt.

If we went to the way of paying for our own treatment we wouldnt have the hypo's claiming for treatment they do not need & the hospitals would probably be cleaner (just look at our our overseas hospitals)

I have an incurable condition myself that leaves me in angony everyday, yet I cannot get the treatment I want because its not funded by the NHS. I pay my NI / tax contributions for nothing & if I didnt then I could probably put that money up to afford my treatment privately. Instead I am paying for morons like this that will probably get there treatment!

ETA - no I dont think this he/she should have there treatment funded, nor should people who are overweight & smokers (that one really gets my back up!)

Spudlet

Visit site
Why has a new poster dragged up a two year old thread?

Olop, if we didn't have the NHS we certainly wouldn't have one thing - my little brother. He would have died, as he became seriously ill with a rare condition shortly after my parents split up - who would have funded his treatment, which was expensive? As it is he will live a full life. I am probably extremely selfish in the eyes of some posters here who would wish him dead, but I am very glad to still have him here - thanks to the NHS.

BBH

Visit site
Why has a new poster dragged up a two year old thread?

Olop, if we didn't have the NHS we certainly wouldn't have one thing - my little brother. He would have died, as he became seriously ill with a rare condition shortly after my parents split up - who would have funded his treatment, which was expensive? As it is he will live a full life. I am probably extremely selfish in the eyes of some posters here who would wish him dead, but I am very glad to still have him here - thanks to the NHS.

Good lord who would wish your brother dead :confused:

IMV the NHS pays for a lot it shouldn't ie all these drunks on a fri / sat night who fall over bang their heads, get in fights, etc etc they should pay for the drain on NHS funds.

I think the NHS is so financially stretched hard decisions have to be made and as much as it'd be nice to treat everyone its not possible. Its use should be confined to those with illness, accident and disease, anything that effects your physically wellbeing. Mental health issues are distressing for those involved but don't in the main lead to death.

Things I don't think we can afford are things like fertility treatment, gender realignment, etc etc.

Of course if money was no object it would be nice to help everyone. I

olop

Visit site
Didnt realise this post was so old - I didnt look at the dates of it :eek:

I certainly do not wish anyone dead, I just gave my opinion of what I think would be a better solution.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
While I feel that this probably is hugely important to this individual, I do not think that it is the role of the NHS to pay for it.

In the cold light of day with patients dying on waiting lists and NHS staff stretched to the max it would be innapropriate given it is a non essential procedure.

I would also note that he/she has only been living as a woman for 18 months, perhaps its a little soon to be considering surgery any way.

Perhaps the NHS would fund my boob job seeing as it would make me 'complete'. I doubt it ......

I agree 100%.

Booboos

Visit site
The article is bizarrely out of contact with reality. Having worked with numerous PCTs, trangender operations are a normal part of the NHS. There is a vigorous screening process which includes, amongst other things, at least two years of psychotherapy and living as a member of the opposite sex, to ensure the patient understands the implications of such an irreversible decision and is able to hand the consequences.

This is not classed as cosmetic prcedure, it is classed as a medical need. The precise source of transgender problems is disputed, but the two main theories see it as either a genetic or a hormonal issue, both perfectly valid medical needs.

Jim Moriarty

Visit site
ETA - no I dont think this he/she should have there treatment funded, nor should people who are overweight & smokers (that one really gets my back up!)

Ah, that old ignorant chestnut. I take it you don't appreciate that the tax on tobacco products was ring fenced for the NHS. I'd say on that basis smokers have more right to NHS treatment than non-smokers...

Besides, not all smokers require treatment for alleged smoking related illness, and many non-smokers DO require treatment for illnesses the ignorant attribute to smokers. i.e. it's not just smokers that get lung cancer!!

If you're going to cherry pick treatment based on your own moral aversions then we'd all be up the swanee and the NHS would be down the crapper.

PS
Old threads do tend to mature nicely with age. ;)

Camel

Visit site
How can you say anything about cancer being equal to having a sex change, I watched my mother suffer from breast cancer screaming and crying in pain for six months before she past away when i was 13, she ate healthly and was very active, people make mistakes in their life by smoking and some give up for 20 years and STILL contract lung cancer.

Anorexia is a mental problem that is very hard to control it's not their fault, and talking about immigrants what about Nadia from big brother SCROUNGING of the nhs for a sex change.

Your arguement is unfounded and juvenile, Children at the age of 3 even less have lukemia an die from it Painful and slow death because there isn't enough funds for research.

If anyone wants a sex change and they haven't got the money go to school and study and find a good job and save their money and then go and have the op, It makes my blood boil when people sit here and complain about the nhs not paying for TS operations, this country has more pressing things to worry about than petty people crying about "oh i'm a man trapped in a womans body" ETC.

The goverment isn't there for you to change you're appearance to make you feel better, I suffer from severe depression and it's to do with the way i look, I'm not going be so self centred as to cry and ask for plastic surgery from the Nhs, i seek mental help, people are out there that suffer from unbarable pain every day and you are tying to justify TS.... What a joke!

The point of my post was/is .... there are many things that can be debated as to whether the NHS should pay for - end of! I didn't really state whether I agreed with any of them or not ;)

And as for my points being Juvenile and unfounded :eek: well! ..... Go and boil your head :D

xx

nippie221

New User
Visit site
The point of my post was/is .... there are many things that can be debated as to whether the NHS should pay for - end of! I didn't really state whether I agreed with any of them or not ;)

And as for my points being Juvenile and unfounded :eek: well! ..... Go and boil your head :D

xx

I telling it's not up for debate, it's not normal, and if u want to have an operation, because thats all it is is an operation, the sex you were born thats the sex you will die as, don't go to the the nhs because you want to sergically change yourself, get a job and pay for it yourself and stop scaving off the goverment, Low life idiots who can't pay for their own op should be told to go and play with a bus.....

Oh and im sorry if i hit a sore spot, but if it took me to go boil my head to have you all locked up i would

JessandCharlie

Visit site
I telling it's not up for debate, it's not normal, and if u want to have an operation, because thats all it is is an operation, the sex you were born thats the sex you will die as, don't go to the the nhs because you want to sergically change yourself, get a job and pay for it yourself and stop scaving off the goverment, Low life idiots who can't pay for their own op should be told to go and play with a bus.....

Oh and im sorry if i hit a sore spot, but if it took me to go boil my head to have you all locked up i would

What on earth?

Most people start a "Hi, I'm new" Thread in New Lounge. Oh well, each to their own I guess :rolleyes:

J&C

MagicMelon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Should she have the surgery?Yes.
Should the NHS foot the bill? I dont think so,but it should offer it at cost.

The NHS should offer it at cost? Erm thats what private health care is there for - she is welcome to pay for it if she wants! I have no problem with that. Taking it from the NHS though, she should feel utterly ashamed for even asking.

Annette4

Visit site
I haven't read past the first page because I got to upset but I'm actually shocked at a LOT of peoples attitude and yes she deserves the treatment!

Transphobia really gets my back up. Why the hell is she less deserving than anyone else? There is a waiting list for this and any other kind of treatment and yes she would have to wait longer than an cancer patient but she is no less deserving than any other patient.

She did not CHOOSE to be in the wrong body, she did not CHOOSE to go through all the pain and trauma transsexuals go through on a daily basis. I know several transpersons (and have dated one) and it is such a painful process that every one I have known has admitted they wished they were just 'normal' as they wouldn't have to deal with not only the torture of being in the wrong body but the added torture of the small minded and bigoted attitudes of so many :(

cavalo branco

Visit site
Booboos has the only correct take on this - its been available on the NHS for some time now. The screening is very comprehensive though, so its not easily offered. I work in a hospital and having met some of the patients, I think that they are very brave and unfortunate people.

Every PCT has to make hard decisions about where to spend their money and transexuals are only one group. There are many people coming to this country for free treatment who are not entitled to it- perhaps they should be the ones targetted :confused::confused:

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
I'm honestly so shocked and upset at some of your opinions- I have a friend who has been waiting for years for the same treatment, and the NHS don't seem to be able to decide whether to do it or not.

It's not a choice for the people to feel like they are in the wrong body. It's not a choice for them to have mental health problems.

And whoever the person who described the lady as "IT." Jesus Christ, I am so happy that my friend isn't surrounded by people like you.

Luci07

Visit site
Interesting post - skipped over the ones which just shouted ignorance but read carefully the posts from people who actually have some facts to offer. I don't have an axe to grind, I don't know anyone in that position and the phrase "rock and a hard place" springs to mind for the (shortly to be no more) PCT's. The NHS as we all know is a not a bottomless pit. Who can weigh up one persons severe mental suffering against (randomly picks an illness) - offering drugs to help with early dementia and give those sufferers - effectively - more time to be themselves before they are overcome with this? but glad to hear that the process is comprehensive and a 2 year screening..

MagicMelon

Visit site
I haven't read past the first page because I got to upset but I'm actually shocked at a LOT of peoples attitude and yes she deserves the treatment!

Transphobia really gets my back up. Why the hell is she less deserving than anyone else? There is a waiting list for this and any other kind of treatment and yes she would have to wait longer than an cancer patient but she is no less deserving than any other patient.

She IS less deserving because its not life threatening! If you researched into the NHS and their spending you would realise that they have very very little money, they have to be damn careful WHERE they spend it. My dad died from cancer last year - as soon as I found out he had cancer in the first place I looked into what treatment he needed, luckily he WAS given the horrifically expensive chemo drugs he needed at the time, however I found out other areas DON'T offer the same drugs (as they decide to spend elsewhere). Each area offers different treatments so even if you are dying from cancer in one area, you may not get the chemo drugs you need but say 100 miles away you would! So in my opinion, those with life threatening problems SHOULD get priority and there simply is not enough money left for all the other stuff like someone wanting to change sex. I am not saying their condition isnt awful, I imagine it is BUT they are healthy, they dont NEED treatment just to survive.

Jim Moriarty

Visit site
She IS less deserving because its not life threatening!

Toothache isn't life threatening, but it's attended to by the NHS. Cataracts are not life threatening, but they are attended to by the NHS. Arthritis isn't life threatening, but it's attended to by the NHS. Alopecia isn't life threatening, but wigs are provided on the NHS. And I could go on.

The NHS is not merely a 'life saving' entity, although I'm of the opinion it should step away from that epithet at times. I disagree with spending, say, £20k on drugs just to keep someone alive for an 'extra' six months. Whilst I'm sure it means the world to the friends and family, it's a disproportionate expense for the outcome.

My dad died from cancer last year

I'm sure the vast majority of us have lost someone to one form of cancer or another (I've lost several over the years). But we should put that aside and be utterly dispassionate and objective when discussing something as socially critical as the NHS and it's funding and use.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Some stats: The US national suicide rate is less than 0.5%. The US national suicide rate for transgender/transsexual people is 31%. Over 50% of people with gender dysphoria will have had one serious suicide attempt by the time they are 20. Arguably, the condition is life threatening without support (be that psychological or drug or surgical treatment - not all people want surgery as it is very major life threatening surgery). There's a reasonable overview of the condition and causes here: http://webhome.idirect.com/~beech1/GENDERID.HTM

Gender is by no means as precise or as limiting as the two boxes you tick on the form.

Anyhows, if anyone wants to read a slightly more balanced report of this particular case, there's quite a good summary here:
http://ukhumanrightsblog.com/2011/03/17/transsexual-denied-nhs-breast-surgery-loses-appeal/

HashRouge

Visit site
The NHS doesn't hand out sex changes to any random person who says they want one! There is, like others have said, a VERY comprehensive screening process and I would be willing to bet that the number of people who have actually received a sex change on the NHS is very small. I don't think any of us can truly imagine what it would be like to feel as though you were trapped in the wrong body, and I've been shocked by some of the responses tbh! I understand that it is a controversial subject, but, as the poster above me said, it CAN be about saving a life due to the disproportionately high rates of suicide and depression amongst people with gender dysphoria.

noodle_

Visit site
I think unless you have truly been in the situation, you cannot begin to comprehend how the person feels.

i agree.

BUT

there are people with cancer.... true health issues that imo should be given first priority....

i read an article in the paper the other day that people (some?) are only entitled to two weeks physio - when they really need 2 months...!!!...

just shows how bad the NHS is....

i do think he is being selfish in the hunger strike though - i genuinly feel for him but its not down to the NHS for the op.....I want surgery on my face (cosmetic) but im not whinging to the NHS as mines cosmetic yet still affecting my life.....!