Transport for 2 horses - WWYD?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So I'm starting to think ahead and look into what our transport options are for when the weed is a bit older. Currently we have a 3.5t Alexander, which has been great for going to clinics and competitions but I'm conscious there'll come a time when I want to take them both out at which point 3.5t won't be enough for us. M is 16hh and the weed is probably a little over 16hh at 2yo (I refuse to measure him) and as his name suggests, is ever-growing although hopefully will remain below 17hh for my sake!

OH is my long-suffering groom so we've already agreed we'll both take our C1 tests when the world returns to normal, but what sort of thing would you be looking at for a hypothetical budget of about £15k? (would be funded by selling the 3.5t) I don't think we'll need much in the way of facilities as I don't intend us to stay away much if my current horsebox usage is anything to go by, but would be wanting something that doesn't feel crazy huge to drive if possible as I'd still like the option of being able to take the boys out alone and not scare myself half witless in the process.

MaxboleyBlack

Visit site
I have a 6 tonne Iveco - Its great. Two stalls facing forward and then an area with seating and bed above the cab, tack storage etc. I paid £12k. Feels like your driving a small van as opposed to a big lorry.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I did my C test rather than the C1 as the cost was almost the same and.. futureproofing. It meant I did my lessons in a big lorry rather than a van which is what they often use for the C1.
I have a 7.5t now and tbh it doesn't feel a lot bigger to drive than my 3.5t did (it's mainly taller rather than longer) and fits in the same parking space on the yard! I agree with the above, a 5.5 or 6t would probably be perfect, they often have really good payload too.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I have a 6 tonne Iveco - Its great. Two stalls facing forward and then an area with seating and bed above the cab, tack storage etc. I paid £12k. Feels like your driving a small van as opposed to a big lorry.

Ah fab, that sounds ideal. I've loved the 3.5t as it's so easy to drive (except the one time I took a wrong turn and ended up on a very narrow, very winding, near vertical hill!) so I'm a bit apprehensive about moving on to something bigger, but needs must.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I did my C test rather than the C1 as the cost was almost the same and.. futureproofing. It meant I did my lessons in a big lorry rather than a van which is what they often use for the C1.
I have a 7.5t now and tbh it doesn't feel a lot bigger to drive than my 3.5t did (it's mainly taller rather than longer) and fits in the same parking space on the yard! I agree with the above, a 5.5 or 6t would probably be perfect, they often have really good payload too.

Ooh interesting, I didn't realise the cost was similar. Definitely sounds like it would make sense to do the C test instead in that case. How did you find the test itself? I'm one of those people that knows stuff but gets in a total flap in an "exam setting" (god knows why I choose to do dressage?!) so a little bit nervous about actually passing the test even though I know I know how to drive :D

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ooh interesting, I didn't realise the cost was similar. Definitely sounds like it would make sense to do the C test instead in that case. How did you find the test itself? I'm one of those people that knows stuff but gets in a total flap in an "exam setting" (god knows why I choose to do dressage?!) so a little bit nervous about actually passing the test even though I know I know how to drive :D
actually it was fine. I was very nervous but I already had the 7.5t sitting on the drive so I actively wanted lessons in a big truck so I'd feel comfortable getting in mine. Although it was an HGV it was an automatic gearbox so no needing to learn how to manage with complicated gears! It was much less stressful than my car driving test, general good driving habits are needed but there wasn't a big panic about details like keeping your hands at 10 and 2 for example! main thing was to check mirrors again and again and again and make sure they see you do it(and you have hundreds of mirrors on a big truck giving all the angles!) and be ultra aware of other road users - again something that I think you get quite good at when you drive horses around.

I had 1:1 training so in 3 days I did so much driving I actually felt quite happy about it by the time my test came round. Having done lots of reversing from mirrors in the 3.5t the reversing exercise was fine with a bit of practice to figure out the requirements. I definitely felt like I had made the right choice, my box is smaller than the one I did the exam in so it is very much in my comfort zone now.

Reactions: TPO

Annagain

Visit site
I suspect the weed will be too heavy but depending on your current payload and the weight of the horses could uprating your current box be an option? Uprating to 3.9T is fairly straightforward, just changing a couple of springs and some paperwork. I think you can go up to 4.5T with a few more substantial changes. You would still need to do your C1 but you wouldn't need to change your box.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I suspect the weed will be too heavy but depending on your current payload and the weight of the horses could uprating your current box be an option? Uprating to 3.9T is fairly straightforward, just changing a couple of springs and some paperwork. I think you can go up to 4.5T with a few more substantial changes. You would still need to do your C1 but you wouldn't need to change your box.

We had considered this, but both agreed we'd feel happier in something with a bit more weight to it if we were going to be carrying the both of them.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I have a 5.2 ton iveco daily which has 1.8 ton payload. I didn’t have to take a test due to when I passed my test. Doesn’t feel big to drive, easy to reverse & turn

windand rain

Visit site
If you don't have grandfather rights the 3.5 + trailer would be too heavy anyway we have so don't need a test and have an iveco 7.5 we are doing the box up the lorry is 2004 with 120,000 km on the clock but the box was a bit shabby its nearly done now just need the plastic panelling for the inside using plastic to reduce the weight as have three ponies to move about