Transport...which option is best!? Lorry owners 3.5+ I need your views please :)

Patterdale

Visit site
Having a dilemma because I don’t know enough, so hoped the hive mind could help please :)

I have always used a trailer. However, I’m wanting to change for a few reasons. But to what!? 3.5? 4.5? 7.5?

Reasons for wanting to change are:
I live in a remote place so all journeys are long. Like 2-8 hour round trips for lessons to affiliated events etc. Horse travels well but I think trailer travel is much more tiring for them.

My trailer is getting old.

Because of the distance I’m more likely to stay away. I also do a few camps a year so need some overnight living.

Packing and then unpacking absolutely everything into a car and trailer is a right ball ache.

The children would be more likely to come with me if they had somewhere to sit.

I have one 15.1 and two 11hh ponies, however we’ve never taken them all out at once before. I do often give a friend a lift though.

I’d buy a 3.5 but the living is tiny and payload too small for two horses (I believe!?). Also seen lots of dodgy builds around.
I’d buy a 4.5 but they are eye wateringly expensive, and for half the price you could get a really smart 7.5.
Id buy a 7.5 for the living alone, but it just seems like a total mechanical minefield, complete overkill for mainly driving one small horse about, and are they expensive to run!?

Any help/guidance/views much appreciated please.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When I had a 7.5 which was older than 10 years, average cost of getting the MOT every year was £1000 at todays values and my OH was able to do some of the work, like welding, free. My younger one was only the test fee.

But even the younger ones have potential to give you a very big bill.

But if you can stomach that, from what you describe, a 7.5, or slightly smaller, is the right answer for you.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I run one small horse around in a 7.5t ?
Its wonderful having the space to leave everything in there and not have to faff about if staying away. plus knowing you can take 2 or 3 horses if you need to is great.

If budget upfront is a concern I think you can get more for your money with a 7.5t because the 3.5t are so popular. We paid less for a really solid 7.5t than I sold my 25 year old 3.5t for ? it's a bit more thirsty but not significantly. I couldn't have bought a newer 3.5t, just way out of my budget.

OH does the maintenance on both which does help. I think I'd want a tame mechanic if he didn't.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I love my 3.5t because it is just so easy, but realistically you can't stay away in it as it just wouldn't be comfortable (you would be better with a tent).

When I had a 7.5t it didn't cost me any more than the 3.5t really. You need to keep on top of any welding, but I'm fortunate that I can trade favours for welding. Mechanics-wise the 7.5t stuff is actually fairly easy to do yourself if you are reasonably mechanically minded. Just make sure you buy one with a tilting cab, because the fixed cabs can be a pita. It is lovely being able to take more than one out, and you can get 7.5t lorries that are a lot of living and less horsebox if that is what suits you.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
My 3.5ton never had an issue was the cheapest lorry ever owned! Always passed mot few bits here and there to fix as years when on but never major, now my 18ton 10 plate (Id say young for a lorry) is going to cost me nice 4 figures to get through mot this year.
payload and space is The reason we went for something so big with only two horses in work...
Have known people with old lorries that just seem going on forever (obviously we some maintenance) and newer ones with never ending issues! Seems like pot luck sometimes
Whatever you choose def recommend getting a pre inspection done, I didn’t on one of mine and lost 20k!

Asha

Visit site
I guess it depends on your budget. You could get a 6.5t, drives more like a van and would give you all the space you need .I must admit i did look for one , but the cost of them put me off. With a slightly smaller budget, then go for a 7.5t . Kids love them especially when you have overnighters. They can be the ultimate party wagon. I loved my 7.5t, but as he got older he started to cost approx£1k to get through the plaiting, so i sold him. I now have a 3.5t ( which i love for solo outings,its great for camp too as i have a bed and room for wine) and a trailer ( for when we go out together,)

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I went from a 3.5t to a 7t. Yes, it was lovely having a flush lavatory onboard and all the other comforts. It did not cost significantly more than the 3.5t in diesel, I guess because the larger engine didn’t struggle with the terrain, but it cost a fortune to service and MOT. My corner of Devon was not the right environment for a larger lorry. The lanes are too narrow and get narrower as summer progresses, the bridges are too narrow and usually have a dog leg in the middle and there is far too much traffic with motorists much less inclined to reverse out of your path and much more up for a good biffo. If I had lived in Buckinghamshire or somewhere with a good road network it would have been great but in Devon every journey had to be planned and had a significant degree of anxiety attached to it.

Spottyappy

Visit site
I have had everyone of the combinations you mention.
I hate towing, so that is my least favourite thing to do!
I have had several 7,5t, and they are great. Robust, can stay away easily and can keep spare stored without it affecting the payload. However, I may have been unlucky, but I had shed loads go wrong,running repeatedly into several thousand pounds, time after time. I also wasn’t using the last one enough, and the bigger lorries do need using regularly or you may run into the issues I had (newer one, the deisel particulate filter was a nightmare, and a plate failure if not sorted.)So, I sold it.
I had a 3.5t coach built made for me, it has a 1200kg payload with half a tank of fuel, and accessories on board, so plenty for our 2 smallish cobs,and 2 people plus tack. My daughter has stayed away in it, takes a bucket for the loo, and uses hamocks (lightweight to carry on board). She has said it’s fine for a couple of days, but likely not mid winter or heat of the summer. The horses travel as well as they did in the 7.5t, too. i did have a lot of ventilation put in, though, as in the heat, these vans are really, really hot. My dread is getting caught in an accident hold up on the m25, as I honestly think the horses may cook if that were to happen, as only one vent works on the engine, the others need wind and speed. This would be Less of an issue in a 7,5t as the air space was much more in the ones I had. And, even less of one with a trailer.

Patterdale

Visit site
Thank you that’s all really helpful!

Oh it’s such a minefield isn’t it! That’s the trouble with a 7.5ton, literally every one I know who has one, they’re just a money pit. I’ll have £20-30k to spend but it seems like even for that money I’d just be buying problems. And £1000+ a year for upkeep is just painful!

On the other hand the cheapest 4.5 new build is around £40k so over budget. And they don’t seem to come up used for much less...!

I really don’t know how anyone affords a lorry ??

Starting to think I should just buy a new fancy trailer instead and stay in a fancy hotel at shows...! And save £20k ??

Do they travel so much better in a small lorry!?

Patterdale

Visit site
I went from a 3.5t to a 7t. Yes, it was lovely having a flush lavatory onboard and all the other comforts. It did not cost significantly more than the 3.5t in diesel, I guess because the larger engine didn’t struggle with the terrain, but it cost a fortune to service and MOT. My corner of Devon was not the right environment for a larger lorry. The lanes are too narrow and get narrower as summer progresses, the bridges are too narrow and usually have a dog leg in the middle and there is far too much traffic with motorists much less inclined to reverse out of your path and much more up for a good biffo. If I had lived in Buckinghamshire or somewhere with a good road network it would have been great but in Devon every journey had to be planned and had a significant degree of anxiety attached to it.

I would also have this problem where I live. Meeting umpteen caravans on narrow lanes. However it’s just as bad in the trailer really..!

paddy555

Visit site
I would also have this problem where I live. Meeting umpteen caravans on narrow lanes. However it’s just as bad in the trailer really..!

I had a 7.5 and live on very narrow, windy lanes. Whether you have a 3.5, 7.5 or a trailer someone is going to have to reverse. We had no problems. Just sat and waited until they got the message which was backwards.

I found the horses travelled so much better in a 7.5 compared to my previous trailer.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I would suggest that you need to be a bit realistic. If you want to carry two horses and the kids then the safest option is a 7.5 Ton. If you get a nice one with a 'Tilt Cab' to make servicing easy then you will have the ideal solution to your problems. As regards £1,000 per year on servicing i am afraid that I would allow about £3,000 per year on average. Also make sure that you get breakdown/recovery cover as well.

Leandy

Visit site
7.5 would be my advice for you. More space for all and more robust and long lasting all round. I would be surprised if it was significantly more expensive to run (especially for long journeys) than a 3.5 although I have never owned the latter. 3.5/4.5 are more expensive to buy for what you get than a 7.5 and I would guess that depreciation is significantly more also as I don't think they are as long lasting. I'd take a close look at the purchase prices and depreciation when deciding if cost is a significant factor for you. I think you may find that depreciation on the 3.5/4.5 outweighs savings on running costs (if there are any).

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
7.5t every time (unless you live in remote Devon).

And don't forget that your kids' ponies will grow rapidly and you will want to take all three out together, so now is the time for a lorry with that capacity!

EventingMum

Visit site
My choice would be a 7.5t with a good payload, some don't have much especially the conversations so it's worth seeing documentation. Having somewhere comfortable to eat/get changed etc makes things so much more pleasant. As with any lorry running them regularly is important, when we stopped competing my lorry really suffered from not being run. It really saves time having things stored in a lorry rather than having to pack a tow vehicle every time you want to go out. Obviously, there are varying degrees of comfort for the living area the more luxurious the great the cost and weight tends to be. If you are staying away heating, hot water, cooking and fridge facilities and a loo become vary attractive!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Thank you that’s all really helpful!

Oh it’s such a minefield isn’t it! That’s the trouble with a 7.5ton, literally every one I know who has one, they’re just a money pit. I’ll have £20-30k to spend but it seems like even for that money I’d just be buying problems. And £1000+ a year for upkeep is just painful!
you ought to be able to get something decent with that kind of budget I'd have thought. or go a bit cheaper and stick what's left in the bank to be used for ongoing maintenance :D

Reactions: TPO

Sprig

Visit site
In your position I would buy an Equi-trek with living. You need something suitable to tow it with though. You can leave all your bits in there like in a lorry but you will not worry about it being a ticking time bomb in terms of bills. I don't think they travel any worse in a trailer than lorry. Particularly in a rear facing trailer. Lots of lorries aren't v comfy for the horse. I had an Equi-Trek 5☆ and loved it.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have an Alexander’s on the 6.5 ton Iveco daily .
Living at front with slide out two large horses travelling forwards tack locker at the rear side ramp passenger side .
I like it it’s been a good truck .

Sprig

Visit site
Thanks very much this is all really helpful.

I did consider an equitrek as this would answer a lot of my requirements....but don’t they have really bad reviews??

You do hear some bad reviews about poor build quality on Equi-Trek but equally I know of lots of people who love them and haven't had problems. If you are thinking of buying new then you would have protection from the dealer. If you are buying second hand make sure that you are buying one that has been regularly serviced and then any issues should have been spotted and dealt with already. I had no issues with mine and would be very happy to have another one.

Patterdale

Visit site
Yes 7.5 would be best probably...I just hate the idea of spending £30k on potentially a knackered old truck ??
Wish I was a mechanic.
Any dealers to consider/avoid? Maybe best to start a new thread, that’s a whole other can of worms isn’t it..!

Patterdale

Visit site
You do hear some bad reviews about poor build quality on Equi-Trek but equally I know of lots of people who love them and haven't had problems. If you are thinking of buying new then you would have protection from the dealer. If you are buying second hand make sure that you are buying one that has been regularly serviced and then any issues should have been spotted and dealt with already. I had no issues with mine and would be very happy to have another one.

this is my other problem with an equi trek...I’d only want to buy new and the only one with enough living is £20k which is nuts for a trailer.
I’m going to keep my 510 anyway too. Hmmm

Zuzan

Visit site
Like you I'm remote and travel to my trainer (over 5 hours away and stay down for a week or two) I also have lanes and tourists to deal with ... if I meet anything they reverse especially if I have horse on board.. Right of way is accorded to anything with livestock on I believe.

The way I went about it was buy a box van had the horse area converted and then did the living in stages once I knew the 7.5 was the right option for us. from memory the box van was 8K and the horse area another 4K .. the horse area and ramp are heavy duty well constructed and v solid.

My payload ontop of a full tank of diesel is just over 1 tonne .. that's after the living was fitted out. So as per above conversions tend to have lower payload but for what I need it's fine.

My living is more George Clarke than Oakley IFYKWIM .. but I could sleep 3/4 in it as have a fibre glass luton pod added on now too. I have a diesel blown air heater and full plumbing and a fridge .. small gas oven and 2 burner hob and sink. I find it really comfortable .. but it is just me. It also means I have 2 big outside lockers (one for tack and one for 1st aid and feed) that are under the seating in the living area as I don't like outside lockers impinging on the horse area.

I did it this way as wasn't sure a 7.5 was the right option and living is so personal I thought if it didn't work out for whatever reason it meant I hadn't spent on the living and a potential buyer could then fit out the way they wanted it.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
this is my other problem with an equi trek...I’d only want to buy new and the only one with enough living is £20k which is nuts for a trailer.
I’m going to keep my 510 anyway too. Hmmm
If you are feeling brave, then perhaps consider a 3.5 to take 1 with basic light living.
Get tow bar fitted and as you are keeping trailer, hook that up for bigger outings....

That said, I'd be looking for a 6.5 or 7.5 if you want room for family to sit in comfort too, as already mentioned above by several others. Peperharrow have a solid build and not as pricey as the top flight makers.

Squeak

Visit site
For a 7.5t horsebox recommendation I had a solitaire and it was a brilliant, well built, sturdy lorry. You can pick some up second hand for not a huge amount and solitaire often have some second-hand ones in. If I was going back to a 7.5t it would be what I would go for.

If you're buying a lorry for long term then you might have to skimp on the living to get the payload for three horses (assuming you keep the lorry for long enough that the ponies start to get bigger!).

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I know a 7t for sale around the top end of your budget, 2011 Iveco converted 2016, had minimal use since and just been plated. It is stalled for two with small living but a super spec!