Travel Boots

Joss

Visit site
Has anyone got any suggestions what travel boots my Mother could use on her mare. This mare is a good traveller but absolutely hates to big 'over the hock' type of travelling boots.

We had a look at thermatex leg wraps but they are expensive for what they are and not much padding.

We dont really fancy bandages, unless it was a long trip, as she is a fidget and once she arrives at a show is keen to get on with the action. Dont fancy fiddling around the back legs trying to get bandages off.

Idea??!!
smile.gif

sophieacton

Visit site
i know the type you mean i bought some a hickstead years ago for £5 for set of 4 they're just squares but just protect the lower leg. they haven't got a label in so not much help sorry!!

have u looked at ebay, derby house robinsons or other?

gemjar82

Visit site
My boy is the same but i get away with the gamgee leg wraps and i bandage over them. bit of a farse but he is so much happier.

JessPickle

Visit site
I know the type you mean, we have an old pair we don't use I could fish them out for you if you want. Wouldn't want much for them, think there cob size, they fitted my sisters 15.1hh tb x

Joss

Visit site
Ohh yes, they look quite promising. Will pass all suggestions on to Mum.......... or she will come on here & find them for herself!! Thanks folks

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
What about normal brushing boots, with overreach boots then just add knee/hock boots separately ??? Horse then already has boots on for when you arrive too (unless showing or dressage of course).

When travel boots very first came out they were much shorter than today (uh oh showing my age). I think I actually still have them. I can let you know if I find them, as have a massive clear out of stuff this month (moving livery yards)

HollyP

Visit site
I'm inspired by this post to not bother bandaging my mare when i move her next week, she can have her brushing boots and over reach boots on which is what she is used in daily work! she is terrible to load so avoiding any anticipation might be a good idea (im going to try and stay well away from her next weekend as we just wind eachother up! some other sucker can try and load her...probably my sister!)

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]
The leg wraps that Premier Equine are the only ones I have found so far. They also advertise the Boot wraps for travelling but they look a fiddle & I hate the ORANGE liners!!!

http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/horse-boots.html

Can only find 'long'travel boots from the standard retailers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the PE boot wraps as travel boots and really like them. I also stick over reach boots on the front.

Ideally I would bandage as think this offers the best protection/least annoyance for the horse, but would never get my fidgety mare to stand still enough to do it quickly for the home leg, so these are nice and quick to velcro on, but still a closer fit than the rigid over-the-hock style.

I asked if they planned to do them in different colours but was told no, as they want to keep the magnetic liners and plain liners easy to identify from a distance.