Travelling dilemma

chaps89

Visit site
I think I know the answer to this already but posting incase any bright spark here has a better idea!
I have a 3.5t lorry which has enough payload to travel both of my ponies (14.1hh and 12hh) together.
I haven't needed to travel them together yet, I usually only travel the bigger one on her own, behind the driver as would be normal.
We are moving yards at the weekend so I practiced loading the little one this morning. And realised I have a problem.
At the horses head end I have a wall behind the right hand/drivers side horse that comes up to chest height with a breast bar on top. But it doesn't extend the full way across, it's open in front of the left hand/passenger side horse, just has the breast bar that side.
He is little enough to go under the breast bar (and knowing my luck, get stuck)
So:
- Do I travel him (about 300kg) behind the drivers side and her (about 450kg) behind the passenger side
- Travel him facing forwards so he'll have a wall in front of him effectively (but then he won't have a rear breast bar)
- Try and block off the open space into the back of the lorry (calling it the groom's area is being a bit generous, it's very basic!) Wonder if a couple of bags of bedding stacked might do it?
- Or, as I suspect I might have to, do 2 trips? Would prefer not to do this if I can as I'd like to turn them both out in the field together and be able to hang around to see how they get on, but obviously if it's the safest way of doing it that's what we'll do

It's 17 miles between the yards, largely motorway.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I would definitely travel them individually or get a registered and reputable horse transport company to do it for you. The last thing you want is an accident. If you intend travelling them together then you either need to get your lorry adjusted or get another one.
I hope all goes well for your move.

chaps89

Visit site
It's rear facing, and it's the end their head would be at which is the problematic one - it's an open space into the back of the groom's area.
I'd be very surprised if I had to travel both together again tbh. Although I wonder if a covered stall guard might be a reasonable option.

HeyMich

Visit site
Which side is your ramp (assuming it's a side loading 3.5)? I've been told to always travel the lone/heavier one on the opposite side to the ramp, and not always behind the driver, so that may fix your problem.

chaps89

Visit site
Unfortunately ramp is left hand/passenger side.
That's interesting though as I've never heard that before, I was always told have the heavier load towards the middle of the road

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Which side is your ramp (assuming it's a side loading 3.5)? I've been told to always travel the lone/heavier one on the opposite side to the ramp, and not always behind the driver, so that may fix your problem.
same
some pro transport boxes esp have the ramp on drivers side so a solo horse travels on the other side.
TBH i'd put them in the way round that works for the shape of the lorry.
I have a horse that had to travel on passenger side of trailer regardless of whether she had another horse in with her, it was fine.

Fred66

Visit site
I was always told have the heavier load towards the middle of the road
This is because of natural road camber, so as long as you’re aware that your stability will be slightly compromised and adjust your driving accordingly you should be absolutely fine, travelling the smaller one on the drivers side.
Especially for a 17 mile trip.

HeyMich

Visit site
same
some pro transport boxes esp have the ramp on drivers side so a solo horse travels on the other side.
TBH i'd put them in the way round that works for the shape of the lorry.
I have a horse that had to travel on passenger side of trailer regardless of whether she had another horse in with her, it was fine.

Yep, my ramp is on the driver's side, so I travel my chunky idiot on the passenger's side. Just goes to show that some 'rules' can be worked around, depending on the shape/style of lorry or trailer.

Do what suits you and your ponies best. To be honest, the weight difference between a 14.1 and 12hh isn't massive, and a 17 mile trip isn't too long, so as long as you drive slowly and carefully, they should be fine.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The difference between them is 150kg, that's not so huge is it? How much payload have you got? Could you add some ballast to the pony/drivers side to even out the difference further? With you on the drivers side too the difference is already reduced to ~100kg? Do the roads have huge camber or bad bends? Is your van particularly unstable? I would be more cautious in a trailer but a 3.5T van is more stable.

MissTyc

Visit site
I'd just switch them round. I regularly travel my fatter horse on the "wrong" side because he prefers it so stands like a rock, whereas he moves about if he's in the correct place. The smaller horse goes behind me and the fatty by the ramp. I never felt unbalanced or unlevel in travel and never yet flown off the road from a mad camber ... I certainly wouldn't be paying a professional to travel my own horses when I have my own horsebox! A solid horsebox should be able to cope with some unbalanced loading and some kicking off!

Annagain

Visit site
I'd put them on the 'wrong' way round and just drive accordingly. My old man has to travel on the left hand side of the trailer as he can't balance on the right, He's frequently travelled on the 'wrong' side on his own or with a lighter horse on the right. I just corner more slowly, especially on left hand bends and am super-aware of any shifting weight. As it's mostly motorway you should be fine as there's much less camber on the motorway due to there being 3 lanes and the hard shoulder means the carriageway isn't sloping down to a verge.

Littlewills

Visit site
I travel mine the wrong way round. The smallest is about 100kgs lighter. It never even crossed my mind that it would be an issue. There is no way I would be paying a transporter to move them for me or making two trips when I have the payload to do one trip. I'm stunned that anyone would do that!

zaminda

Visit site
My little mare always went behind the driver regardless of who she was with as didn't like being next to the ramp, and my friends horse insisted on coming off first, I never had a problem and drove 1000's of miles like it.