Travelling Horse in Tack

worldchimp

Visit site
Can anyone offer some advice - am going for a lesson this afternoon which is 5 miles away from my house. I am boxing up in my trailer. To save time, I was considering tacking my horse up and travelling him in his saddle and bridle. He has travelled before in bridle but not saddle in the trailer. As I am alone at home, I just needed some of your advice. Thank you for reading

NW1

Visit site
personally i wouldn't, i dont like it, they could get caught on anything. if he has boots (if neccessary) put on under travel boots and bridle on already... i cant see a saddle taking 2 secs to put on.... imo
smile.gif

louisevictoria

Visit site
I wouldn't do it (especially after seeing a horse that had fallen over in a lorry fully tacked up recently)

It doesn't take long to tack up (unless you are like me and faff around a lot)
tongue.gif

jeanettewhiston

Visit site
I have travelled my horse before in complete tack and never had any problems. She is usually a nightmare when i get somewhere and it means i dont have to get stressed trying to get everything on her. The reason i put her saddle on was becasue she was jumping so had a martingale and stud guard way to much to do when you have a horse leaping all over the place!
I put a fleece rug over the top to protect the saddle and any straps getting caught.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I don't see the problem. We travel alll ours fully tacked up. Rugged up as necessary. At least when you get there you just tighten girth and go. to be honest I think travel boots can be far more dangerous.

vhf

Visit site
Me too, although only short journeys with a good traveller. Have a saddle cover and a light rug. Also people do it for hunting a lot I seem to remember. I twist the reins up as neatly as possible into the throatlash or take them off altogether.

Ladylina83

Visit site
Do this to hunt as apparently its to exciting to stand still to have your saddle put on ! I Don't tend to travel her in bridle tho just undo the reins and put the martingale on seperatly and pop a rug over the saddle to stop it snagging on anything

nicnag

Visit site
I'll travel in a bridle but with reins etc wrapped up so nothing dangling, I'll put boots on under travel boots but never a saddle, there is little enough room in a trailer and I like my saddle too much to risk it! ( and my horse of course!)

3Beasties

Visit site
We travel the ponies with their saddles on, we put a saddle cover over the saddle and then a rug over the top. Bridles go on when we get there as they have a haynet in the trailer and they can't eat with bits in.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I used to when hunting as my TBs were rather excited. Bridles were on with reins tied and put through thoat lash. Headcollar them over the bridle.

Saddles - stirrups were done up with leathers through them so they could not fall down. I put a thin rug over the top to stop the saddle catching on anything. I also had the girths tight enough so the saddle did not move but still needed to go up a hole or two when arrived.

On the way there, no net so no risk of bridles getting caught - I was only on short no more than 15 minutes trips.

Never had a problem with travelling like this but they were not daft and good travellers.

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I often travel George with his saddle on and his saddle cover on top and then a light fleece over the top. I usually leave his bridle off unless it is a very short journey (less than 15mins) and he is travelling there without hay - I usually catch the reins under the headcollar and tie a knot in the end of them as well. He will then have hay for the journey home and be untacked as well. This is in a lorry though so more room.

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone offer some advice - am going for a lesson this afternoon which is 5 miles away from my house. I am boxing up in my trailer. To save time, I was considering tacking my horse up and travelling him in his saddle and bridle. He has travelled before in bridle but not saddle in the trailer. As I am alone at home, I just needed some of your advice. Thank you for reading

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does it save time? Are you quicker at tacking up at home than you are at the destination?! I can see the sense in it for things like hunting where horse's are likely to be wound up and difficult to tack up on arrival, but for things like lessons, it takes 5 mins to tack up, so why not leave 5 mins earlier (in the time you were going to use to tack up at home!!) and then tack up on arrival?

I won't risk my tack or my horse travelling in tack unless it is for hunting, though he does move around a lot in the box.

millitiger

Visit site
no problem with it at all- i travel mine tacked up in the winter with their cooler rugs over the top (keeps them warm and protects the saddle).

Sparklet

Visit site
On a short journey I would put the saddle and boots underneath travel boots but not the bridle. Dont like the idea of the reins getting fastened up on anything and yanking at the bit so headcollar only on the head.

Never had a problem but wouldnt do it on a long journey, mainly for comfort.

My horse is an excellent experienced traveller tho.

Boxers

Visit site
Often travel shorter distances with tack on. Put travel boots over tendon boots. Put a rug over the saddle and make sure the reins are well twisted and tucked under the headcollar.

jojo23

Visit site
We always travelled our warmblood in tack as she was shall we say quirky, put a fleece on over the top of saddle, although will say that fleece ended up holey as stirrups rubbed on partition, but saved a lot of stress at the other end.

ISHmad

Visit site
We never travel ours with any tack on. Not worth the risk if they got caught up in any way, either via their bridle or their saddle.