Travelling in hot weather this weekened ?

Spangles

Visit site
I’ve decided not to travel & compete on Saturday due to excessive heat forecast of between 29-33 degrees...
Only have the usual small windows in the 3.5t lorry so not a great deal of airflow.
I really don’t think it fair to travel the horse 60 miles in an oven & then expect it to perform in two disciplines in extreme heat ... but that’s just me.

I told a fellow competitor I’d decided not to go & they just said ‘oh he’ll be fine, just give it some water’ .. but then again they are quite competitive.
I said there’s always another opportunity, I’m not risking dehydrating my horse - he doesn’t drink at shows particularly either.

please tell me I am being sensible ? If the venue were local I’d douse the horse in cold water before we left but expecting the horse to Travel for well over an hour in extreme heat & then perform just doesn’t the sit with me. We’d also have to travel on m’way & through roadworks - risk of getting caught up in traffic also a possibility.

or am I alone in this scenario ?

minimex2

Visit site
Your doing the right thing
I travelled my boy few weekends ago - said 23d on thermostat but we
Had sun on our side and came out box dripping ( and that’s 3 windows and 2 ceiling vents)

humblepie

Visit site
I am not competing at present but my horse gets hot travelling and yes I have not gone to things because it was too hot. My horse actually had heat stress in his racing days and so I am very concious of hot weather travel and competing. I don't go out in the lorry if really windy either (don't mind getting soaking wet, we can always dry!)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm fortunate, my box is pretty cool compared with most, but there is no way I'd be boxing out in the forecasted temps as I'd be concerned if traffic caused any hold ups etc and potentially crashing about on concrete ground etc, let alone waiting about in the heat to compete.
TFF, a spring and autumn lover!

[59668]

Visit site
I'm meant to be competing on sunday. Combined training. Forecast is 27 degrees. I'm thinking I wont go. It's an hour journey, mare doesnt really drink when we're out and she is black. Not worth it I think.

Hallo2012

Visit site
I'm out tomorrow and its forecast 27.

big roomy trailer with 3 front windows and roof vent so lots of air flow and travelling outside rush hour, we are travelling for 1 hour.

he's also very very fit......so off we go :) he's only got 1 very easy test to do.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think it depends on your horse and what they are used to, as well as your route. you do what's right for your and your horses.

I'm taking 2 out on Sunday which is forecast 29 here, they are fit and well, mine is used to outings in hot weather. we'll open all the windows, there are multiple routes we can use if one is blocked. I think the individual circumstances are important rather than it being a blanket yes or no.

Spangles

Visit site
I’ve just read the heat will feel like 37 degrees in the south east .. flippety heck .. just confirms it for us sadly. Hey ho, always another show ?
Ooh that rhymes ?

Bernster

Visit site
Now I feel bad! Off xc on Saturday but it’s for a low key amble around, won’t do much and will see how we go. He won’t be hanging around or tied up. 50 mins drive. I’m still planning on going.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Now I feel bad! Off xc on Saturday but it’s for a low key amble around, won’t do much and will see how we go. He won’t be hanging around or tied up. 50 mins drive. I’m still planning on going.
Dont feel bad! Each of us is different in the way we cope with heat etc.
I'm an old bat, I dont function well in the heat at all. It helps that B Fuzzy doesnt either as she spent much of her life on the furthest tip of Scotland, so even 20 degrees and she's not comfortable.
Enjoy your trip xx

Chianti

Visit site
I was going to post on here, before I read this, about the predicted heatwave. In the SE we're expected to have temperatures in the 30s - e.g. ' 'feels like' 36- for the next six days, with quite high humidity. Liveries on my yard are posting on the group chat page about traveling to events and lessons. At what temperature is it deemed unfair, or even cruel, to work a horse? I'm getting up as early as possible to hack or walk out in hand.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I was going to post on here, before I read this, about the predicted heatwave. In the SE we're expected to have temperatures in the 30s - e.g. ' 'feels like' 36- for the next six days, with quite high humidity. Liveries on my yard are posting on the group chat page about traveling to events and lessons. At what temperature is it deemed unfair, or even cruel, to work a horse? I'm getting up as early as possible to hack or walk out in hand.
36 to 37 here for tomorrow now, yuk!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I going out on Saturday. Not a long journey but a couple of hours between my friends class and mine. Mine is in the second class so hoping he'll be OK chilling out in the shade with lots of water and some hay. If he's getting too hot then I can always decide not to compete and we go home early.

SO1

Visit site
It is forecast to be 37C today I am worried about my pony being too hot just being in his stable and field let alone competitions this weekend.

I will get up early to ride for half an tomorrow & Sunday. He is on rehab for an injury so needs to do some cantering. If he wasn't then he would have weekend off.

scats

Visit site
I’m out tomorrow but only 25 minute trip and doing one test. Back wagon windows will be open and my drivers window and the window in the bulkhead so she will get a through draft. Don’t think our weather is due to be as warm though. 25C looks like the highest.

CJoe

Visit site
I am out on Sunday, literally a few miles, box has air con in back though, also travel in soaking wet summer sheet which keeps them cool for 20 mins....regularly doused with water. Actual comp will be minimal warm up and last a couple of minutes, but prolonged stuff, nope, wouldnt risk it.

MissTyc

Visit site
I've cancelled a jumping clinic I was running. It's for novice riders and children, so I was concerned their horses might not be conditioned to be worked in this heat. Then add in the travelling, and sometimes it's better safe than sorry. I would take my own horses out, but my horsebox stays pretty cool and has tons of windows and internal fans + they work daily so I know their limits.