Travelling in the Dark

dianchi

Visit site
So we went out to a lesson last night, was at this point that i realised there is no light in the horse area!!!

Do people travel their horses with the light on? We didnt used to on the big lorries?
I have two small windows so its not a sealed black box whilst traveling.

I used my phone to load (iphone torch is pretty impressive!), but will need to get something sorted going forward!

Question is do people travel with the light on? What are other peoples solutions to this?
Are battery type or wired ones going to be better?

Thanks!

dianchi

Visit site
Phew dont feel like evil mother then!

Ive been playing with headtorch ideas, till someone said careful you dont blind them it!
Wasnt sure if something on the ramp so they can see whilst they load?

Equally for tacking up?
I travelled tacked up as this one was local but as its winter might need it other times!

Luckily its my older mare who is been there seen it got every t-shirt going! But my 4yo might think twice about loading into the dark!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Well, they would be ok to be outside for a little bit, but I wouldn't leave them there! I think we have an LED one which has been in the wagon for 6 years which is still going.

dianchi

Visit site
Just want to leave them in the lorry and work when i go for them :)
Might look at the LED ones, those i can attach to the ceiling actually if they are magnetic!!

Although doesnt cover ramp? Do people find that an issue?

CrazyMare

Visit site
My interior lights have never worked, all mine load without a problem. I bring mine in and out in the dark every day which helps I think!

Nicnac

Visit site
Although I have lights in lorry, my stable and tack room lights are the economical kind that don't shed much light so have head torches and portable LED lights which are robust and have hooks (they are called inspection lights and have put link below) I need them to inspect horses when they come in at night. Also use the stick on LED lights from Amazon.

These are brilliant http://www.hall-fast.com/safety-at-...gclid=CIXE6N7iq8kCFU63GwodPNUL_g#.VlXD2HbhDIU

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
You lot with your high tech head torches and inspection lights, before we got the electric put in we used a car battery, and before that - before that! - we used to use a very safe way of lighting our stables using gas and tilly lamps :D

It were like t'old days :D

Fiona

Visit site
We do travel the horses with the internal light on but its just what they're used to..

My tk max had stick on led lights. Tgree for three pounds. I'd get some of those maybe. I was going to get some for kitchen cupboards.

And head torch for loading..

I used to livery at a yard who had gas powered tripod lights in their sand school. Used to have to remember to bring the box of matches up the track lol...

Fiona

NZJenny

Visit site
Horses don't have a problem with the dark, it's a human thing! I use a head lamp if I really need to, but that is very rare. The horses know their way around the paddock and yard, loading is no problem - they can see where they are going.

rara007

Visit site
We do have a loading light fortunately but we don't leave it on travelling :) Head torch sounds like best solution to me! With the trailer I never even think about it, I guess I've got used to the dark!

PorkChop

Visit site
I do travel mine in their trailer with the internal light on, just because it gives me a bit more light when we stop and it also means I can see what they are up to when travelling :)

Definitely get a headtorch :)

BBP

Visit site
I don't really know why you would need to leave a light on. I don't leave a light on in their stables overnight, or in the field at night, and I ride in the pitch dark without a light. I think lights are for human benefit and it just kills night vision if you turn one on and off. Having said that one for emergencies is a good idea.

I guess I do worry that in my rear facing box the headlights from following cars might dazzle them.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't really know why you would need to leave a light on. I don't leave a light on in their stables overnight, or in the field at night, and I ride in the pitch dark without a light. I think lights are for human benefit and it just kills night vision if you turn one on and off. Having said that one for emergencies is a good idea.

I guess I do worry that in my rear facing box the headlights from following cars might dazzle them.

If your talking about trailer light they would have a serious issue if they could be dazzled by the light in a IW.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You lot with your high tech head torches and inspection lights, before we got the electric put in we used a car battery, and before that - before that! - we used to use a very safe way of lighting our stables using gas and tilly lamps :D

It were like t'old days :D

We used a candle in a jam jar! You certainly had to be careful with those!

Now, we use some very effective solar powered lights both inside and outside the stables. I can't bear head torches, if there is any one else around, you can guarantee that they will be blinded by them.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have lights on in the container when it is dark, I couldn't cope without ! early cubbing and the 4am show starts I certainly need to see what I am up to. I plait on the lorry for the very early starts too.

The horses travel with the lights on and I have been known to leave them on and wonder why the truck struggles to start many hours later.

humblepie

Visit site
Never used to put lights on but do now. We added a load light at the back and a small light above the living door after not having been able to find the lorry in the pitch dark after an evening performance. Never had a problem travelling when didn't used to put light on.

Bernster

Visit site
Just ordered myself a magnetic and hook battery powered light for the lorry! I do have a light in the back but it runs off the battery and goes out after a while. Don't use it for travelling, I travel them in the dark (always understood horses have better night vision than we do), but I do use it for cleaning out when we get back. So to save my lorry's battery I've gone for a cheapy battery one instead. Nice timing with this post. I also have a head torch from last year's xmas list which I keep forgetting to use (although that one would be more for jobs around the yard, and plaiting in the dark if I ever get round to doing it, not handling the horse).

Bernster

Visit site
I thought that you had to have a light on in the trailer too.

Did a bit of googling out of interest - it seems there is no law on this for interior lights for lorry or trailer, although white light shouldn't be visible to the outside. There are rules about the exterior lights which is maybe what you're thinking about.

HotToTrot

Visit site
I try not to travel with the light on - only do it when I forget it's on and it comes on when the car headlights go on. How about using a head torch for unloading and loading? Prob better than the interior light anyway - if mine is anything to go by, at any rate!

WelshD

Visit site
If people want lights on in the horse area when travelling they need to be red lights if they can be seen externally from behind the vehicle (not sure about to the sides but definitely if they can be seen from behind)