Travelling pooy messy horse - Any tips or tricks?

Antw23uk

Visit site
Hi All

My horses load and travel well in both trailer and lorry and I am just about to get my own trailer (very excited to have my own transport) but my mare is a bit disgusting by the time she comes off the lorry or trailer. I tighten the tail bandage OR wrap as tight as i can but she still comes off looking like a bog brush and her back end COVERED in sloppy poo!

I am guessing that regular travel to clinics/ shows ect will make it 'normal and thus reduce the stress pooing but any tips on how to keep her cleaner or keep this damn tail bandage on?

Thanks in advance
Ant :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
be careful over tightening tail bandages, you can cause some real damage if you aren't careful.

One of mine sits on her bum in the lorry and scrubs it, I'm having the best results with a neoprene tail guard (no bandage).
Mine have got better the more they go out and about and we don't have any sloppy poos now - one knows the routine and will poo when I put the travelling boots on in the stable, the other goes as soon as loaded but I can scoop that out before we set off.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Thats the one, neoprene tail guard. I just couldnt remember what they were called. Tried both and yes very aware of over tightening. Perhaps its just a case of practice makes perfect? doesnt help she has a white bum (coloured) so its a real mess! :(

Antw23uk

Visit site

MyBoyChe

Visit site
The de Boiz tail guard which covers the whole tail from top to bottom is very good, wont help with her bum getting stained but carry some nice hot soapy water in an old milk container for a quick wash and go when you arrive!

windand rain

Visit site
We use a tail bandage, tail guard and a rug with a tail flap the different layers rub over each other leaving the tail and bum relatively unscathed

Lovethebeach

Visit site
Lots of showsheen or another hair polish applied to bum and hind legs for a few days to get a good coating, then a pack of face makeup remover wipes to clean off when you arrive. Strangely makeup remover ones work better than baby wipes lol !! Has worked for years on my mucky mare, little tip, wear gloves to remove the tail guard, mine always manages to coat the underside, yuk !!