Travelling with tack on ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
used to it all the time for hunting or evening shows when time was tight after work. But I wouldn't now - saddle too expensive to risk damaging it :rolleyes3: :D and I never go anywhere where I'm that short for time any more. Both of mine stand nicely to be tacked up when out and about.

Embo

Visit site
Yes, I do.

B can be unreliable with his behaviour, so it's less stressful to travel him saddled. Leave a cover on and put bridle on when there. Will sometimes put work/jump boots on under travel boots, too.

MissTyc

Visit site
I do all the time. None of our local venues allow for horses to be tied to the box, even for tacking up, and I'm usually alone. I can "just about" tack up on the box (from the right side as it's a rear face) but find it easier to have saddle on, ready to go. I put the bridle on before unloading.

alexomahony

Visit site
Yes I often travel tacked up if time is tight/going XC/hunting.

Always put a thin rug over them and make sure reins aren't pulling on the bit and do girth up, but not riding tight obviously. I once thought I'd be nice and loosen the girth a bit too much - poor pony travelled without making a noise with saddle under his belly - such a good boy but I wouldn't be making that mistake again!

SOS

Visit site
Always do for hunting and often if competing alone locally or going for a lesson. Make sure you have a saddle cover and/or a fleece over both tack and horse. Also when unloading with a saddle on always undo the far side breast bar and push the partition away so they are less likely to catch the saddle and subsequently panic and ruin it! This can be done with two horses in the trailer as well.

Can also travel in a headcollar and then add the bridle whilst on the trailer when there. If a martingale is needed just undo the rings attached to the reins so that the ‘breastplate’ part is on the horse and attached to girth. Then attached rein piece when bridle goes on. Twist the reins if in a bridle and put through the throat lash and I always do my flash up above the bit very loose. Watch out for long shanks on bits (long cheek pieces, gags etc) as they in theory could get caught.

When I first got my new horse he was inpatient and would not stand until you mounted. He also would threaten to kick. It made me consider lots of things especially when travelling alone. Such as using a tail bandage rather than guard so that I could remove it in one swift movement (inside the trailer if needed too). I also did not travel him in hind travel boots for hunting as removal alone would be impossible. He’s perfect now and stands quietly whilst I tack or remove/put on travel equipment on or off the trailer but takes time.

AFB

Visit site
Saddle yes, but make sure it's well covered to prevent any damage.

I personally wouldn't travel in a bridle for fear of getting caught and catching the horses mouth, however that being said I might change my mind if I had a difficult horse!

Shay

Visit site
Lots of people travel with the saddle on. I have done when I really had to - but I've had saddles damaged this way so you do have to be careful. Cover on the saddle and a fleece over the top - not something to be doing in very warm weather I'm afraid. And as saddleoversofa says - push the far partition right over before trying to leave the trailer. It is easier in a lorry I'm afraid.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I travel horses fully tacked up for hunting .
The tack has to perfect for hunting so I tack them up in their stable where I have time and the horse is calm and I can indulge my obsessions in a stable .
I only thing that every bothers me is travelling in cheeked bits there are too many thing they can get caught on .
When I take two to dressage training on my own I always travel the first horse I ride with the saddle on .

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I travel Nugz in his saddle to local shows - just one less thing for me to do at the other end (especially if I get stuck in traffic) or if I am on my own.

I wouldn't travel him in his bridle though as he's in a fulmer - too many things to get caught up in.

But then I don't put boots/bandages on him as a rule. Depending on whether showing immediately he comes off the box or not, he might have a tail bag and guard on and thats it!

spacefaer

Visit site
We always travel horses with tack on when we're going hunting. I pull the stirrups down and cross them over the wither - reduces the risk of the stirrups crushing saddle/trailer wall.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Just be careful when you bring the horse out that he/she doesn't catch the front of the saddle on any protrusions near the ramp, ie breast bar/partition. I don't tend to travel with tack on as I feel its safer to tack out once they are outside the lorry/trailer tied up with a net but I have done on very rare occasions, i.e. when I've been parked up on a roadside verge to go off on a hack for example, when I don't want to faff with tacking up near traffic.