travelling.. would you in a ...

Enfys

Visit site
Nothing wrong with stock trailers at all, in the old days, shock horror, horses used to go in cattle wagons tied to the sides (actually many still do) realistically a cattle wagon is just a stock wagon but higher up that's all.

If people would just stop flapping and trust their horses to balance themselves then they would, the worst accidents I have seen with horses panicking and falling have been in forward facing trailers with those ridiculous flappy partitions.

2012-shad-2.jpg

http://www.fletchershorseworld.com/trailers/stock-livestock-trailers.html

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
If people would just stop flapping and trust their horses to balance themselves then they would, the worst accidents I have seen with horses panicking and falling have been in forward facing trailers with those ridiculous flappy partitions.

A horse was PTS at the RVC this week having gone over the partition in it's trailer, horrific injuries. :(

Jesstickle

Visit site
Yep, without a second thought. My mothers pony used to go everywhere in a cattle trailer when she was a kid. It lived on a farm and that's what the farmer had. I think it very much used to be considered the norm :confused:

I'm not sure what people think is so special about a horse trailer that makes it so much safer tbh? Breast bars and partitions are more likely to cause bother than the absence of them in my mind.

SplashofSoy

Visit site
Have never done it myself as never had a pony as didnt ride as kid. But i see loads of people using stock trailers today and with no problem.

Enfys

Visit site
Ahhh rednecks , and ranchers do but go to a AQHA, NRHA etc show and some of the trailers make our oakley and other so called top lorrys look like poverty spec junk :D

They do don't they :D

RV's with space for a few horses at the back some of them.

bison-8416-a.JPG

Mostly slants though, with windows, I love that horses can stick their heads out to see what is going on at competitions (there are some total twits though that travel them without the bars up though) and I still hate the flappy partitions :mad: I prefer step-ups to ramps, the ones with the tack compartments at back always look a tight squeeze, the horses have to walk through a single door, but they all seem quite happy to do it, and to back out as well. Front unloads are the exception rather than the rule even with 'traditional' style two horse, forward facing trailers.

2011-bison-stratus-6.JPG

$54,000 will buy you a Bison!!! This place is just along the road from me, I could live in some of them quite happily.

http://www.fletchershorseworld.com/trailers/bison.html

Last edited:

Freddie19

Visit site
No matter what a horse/pony travels in, cattle trailer or horse/pony trailer, it is how the trailer is towed that will affect how it travels. My father stuck me in a trailer when I was first towing (many many moons ago) after seeing me arrive home one day....quote" I will now drive trailer as you drive trailer" difference was a very shocked daughter getting out at end of drive, and I could use my arms and hands to keep off sides!!!!!! So make sure floor is well covered and make sure they are driving properly and there should be no problems. By the way, try it yourself sometime, it is an eyeopener.

Capriole

Visit site
I'm not sure what people think is so special about a horse trailer that makes it so much safer tbh? Breast bars and partitions are more likely to cause bother than the absence of them in my mind.

travelling without a breastbar in a horse trailer is just dangerous. the horse will be able to come further forward and alter the balance of the trailer in a way its not designed for. Also, if there is an accident (sorry the 'just one journey' thing makes no sense to me) Id rather the horse took a degree of impact to its chest than faceplant/neck to the front wall, and possibly come through. Personally I wouldnt risk my own horses this way and would hire a proper trailer or a transporter. Each to their own I guess.

Jesstickle

Visit site
travelling without a breastbar in a horse trailer is just dangerous. the horse will be able to come further forward and alter the balance of the trailer in a way its not designed for. Also, if there is an accident (sorry the 'just one journey' thing makes no sense to me) Id rather the horse took a degree of impact to its chest than faceplant/neck to the front wall, and possibly come through. Personally I wouldnt risk my own horses this way and would hire a proper trailer or a transporter. Each to their own I guess.

I get that in a horse trailer this is the case. But my point is this. In a lorry without breast bars and with proper solid partitions you are much less likely to get a horse hung up than you get in trailers. Hence my statement I think they cause as many problems as they solve. They may be a necessary evil in horse trailers but that doesn't make them ideal. As we are talking about a livestock trailer which doesn't need a breast bar to help with balancing the load they aren't actually needed. I don't think the pony would be any safer in a horse trailer than a livestock one, quite possibly the opposite tbh. I have a horse trailer as I want to carry two horses around so partitions are useful, that doesn't make it safer though!

Last edited:

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
ok see that sets in more confusion.. as said trailer has a breat bar in it and had planned to cross tie her.. so is it better to just tie on one side? alowing her to move about to gain her balance, tbh i think i prefure the leave her losse option... seems to me if nothign to balance against the more chance of her slipping, and hanging via rope etc.

Potato!

Visit site
SIL always travels her horse tied on one side so horse can choose to stand herringbone if the horse is more comfortable like that.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
ok see that sets in more confusion.. as said trailer has a breat bar in it and had planned to cross tie her.. so is it better to just tie on one side? alowing her to move about to gain her balance, tbh i think i prefure the leave her losse option... seems to me if nothign to balance against the more chance of her slipping, and hanging via rope etc.
If it has a breast bar (weird for a stock trailer) I would cross tie. Or take the breastbar out and travel her loose/tied to the side.

Dr_Horse

Visit site
that's your personal opinion and mine is not to use stock trailer . The question was would you and no i wouldn't.
Stock trailers are not made to carry horses otherwise everyone would use them instead of trailers/ lorries
We have a brand new stock trailer for the sheep and cows and i wouldn't even travel my 2 yr old welsh sec A in it let alone the big girls!

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
You can always put a rubber mat down, or bed the trailer with straw/shavings. TBH, bare alu floor would only worry me in a shod horse, as it can be a bit slippery.

oh its ok they are going to put carpet down with straw on top :rolleyes::D

that's your personal opinion and mine is not to use stock trailer . The question was would you and no i wouldn't.
Stock trailers are not made to carry horses otherwise everyone would use them instead of trailers/ lorries
We have a brand new stock trailer for the sheep and cows and i wouldn't even travel my 2 yr old welsh sec A in it let alone the big girls!

ok but could you give a valid reason as to why not?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Nothing wrong with stock trailers at all, in the old days, shock horror, horses used to go in cattle wagons tied to the sides (actually many still do) realistically a cattle wagon is just a stock wagon but higher up that's all.

used to do this all the time at the RS 14ish years ago, was a case of how many ponies can we fit in the cattle lorry to go to a show and how much room really does the shetland need on the end ;) :). I do remember my rather posh friends face when she said oh yes but it is partitioned right :eek: ermm. nope :p.

They were never going more than about 20 mins but there was never an issue, no fights etc they just seemed to get on with it

Dr_Horse

Visit site
ok but could you give a valid reason as to why not?

Yes a friend of a friends horse went lame after a long trailer journey. Given a couple of days but did not come right. the vibrations from the metal through the rubber (in a horse trailer) did so much damage the horse never came sound again.
I always have proper trailer wood (is it marine ply? or something like that) put on top of the metal and the rubber on top of that.

Potato!

Visit site
I'd be interested to know /\ aswell as I've never heard of this before many horses travel my stock trailer.

PandorasJar

Visit site
I loaded youngster with no partition and untied. I did a lot of research about this and the end result was that the only time you should travel with a partition is with more than one horse. Climbing the sides, getting trapped under the bar etc are all risks travelling alone. However I wouldnt put her in a large livestock trailer. Lots of the new smaller ones are fine for livestock and horses. We bought one for both, just has to be maintained in the right way
Pan

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
Maybe we're talking posher stock trailers here then that I have in mind. To me a stock trailer is one of the all metal boxes - metal floor and no padding on the sides etc. Now personally I don't think I'm precious about not wanting to put my horse into something that he could slide about on the floor on and bash into the sides. I prefer the nice thick rubber floor of a horse trailer and some padding round him. Stock trailers are ok for sheep or calves that are in together and closely packed so that they don't rattle about.

Paris1

Visit site
I've honestly never.come acros this, never seen it at a show or anywhere! I'm intrigued. The trailers pictured are US ones so any pics of UK ones please?

Enfys

Visit site
To me a stock trailer is one of the all metal boxes - metal floor and no padding on the sides etc. QUOTE]

This is what I call a stock trailer:

2012-shad-6.jpg

It has internal swinging full partitions. The only difference between the North American ones and the ones I am familiar with in the UK is the length and the fact that most trailers are bumper pull in the UK, not gooseneck or fifth wheel. Internally, just the same.