travelling.. would you in a ...

fidleyspromise

Visit site
http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/livestock/ta510?tab=details

We have thia its 7' high with removable partitions, however these are never used, the holes in the sides have flaps fold up and fix firmly in place.

My Newfie arrived in one of these (although I think it was slightly smaller).
She had never travelled and on opening the door, she was stood right up the far side, herringbone. - It looked like she was using the far wall to lean on.

She came trotting out and was fairly relaxed (after an hours travel) considering she was also unhandled.

So, for a one off trip, I would and I'd also leave loose. Although I would cover the floor. :)

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
pony has gone off in said stock trailer, we opted for tying one side with a hanet and she soon got her self comphy :D:D

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
FWIW, used to travel multiple mares and foals loose in a big aluminium stock trailer in the US, and they all arrived fine, no injuries (multiple trips over several years), and all facing backwards bracing off the sides and front of the trailer.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
bit late to this but yes i would have no qualms about transporting a pony in a stock trailer, to me it is no different to transporting a foal in a horse trailer with partitions and bars removed! (That is how were were advised to do it by the breeder and various other people) foal came out perfectly unscathed at the end of the 5 hour journey and it's not put him off going in a trailer since:)
I think the reason more people don't use stock trailers is because of the snob element rather than a safety issue!!

scrunchie

Visit site
I think the reason more people don't use stock trailers is because of the snob element rather than a safety issue!!

This is why we got a horse trailer!!

Beau and Saffy have both travelled in a livestock trailer (not together!) and neither of them had any problems. In fact, I think if anything the livestock trailer helped to bombproof the pair of them as it was quite noisy and rattley.

But I convinced my hubby to buy a horse trailer because I didn't want to go to shows with a livestock trailer! The shame of it!!! :D