Tree in an arena???

Billyboo

Visit site
I have a bit of an odd question. We are looking to get an arena built but we just have soooo many trees and there is very little room to put it. So we have the option to build a 30m by 20m arena or a 50m by 20m with a tree in the middle! I know it sounds bizarre, it's not often you see a tree in the middle of an arena! So would it be better to just go for the smaller size without a tree? I do a bit of everything; low level dressage, jumping, showing and removing the tree is NOT an option due to a stupid council law. its a decent size tree too. I'm not sure what is the better choice.
Thanks in advance!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i'd imagine you could have an issue with roots damaging membrane, drainage etc.

also tree roots are not as deep as you might think, you'd be hard pressed to dig down to put your base and drains in in the first place :(
Plus leaves! Leaves on the arena surface are a right PITA in autumn.

EBHouse

Visit site
Had one in the middle of a big arena at a showjumping yard I worked in Australia. They had made a square platform around it so it was built up from the arena surface and had no membrane immediately around it. They never had any problems but we did have to work raking the leaves away in the Autumn. They used the platform as a seating area to teach from which over there was fab as it gave them shade in the summer!

The platform also meant you were never going to ride too close and knock your knees/head on it.

I would be annoyed at riding around it if I was wanting to practise dressage tests but it was for jumping mostly and the arena was large so it didn’t make much difference.

applecart14

Visit site
Can you not just cut it down? Unless it is protected with a tree preservation order on it you should be able to do that. However, I always feel sad when trees are cut down. Digressing a bit but the neighbours at the property next door to where my partner was a tenant moved in years ago and cut down loads of trees, it was appalling. I rang the council and they went out to investigate and then reported back saying it was okay they had given the chap permission to do so. I don't believe that was so but then he was the Councilor of the Council I'd contacted so I expected them to say as much.

It created a huge wind tunnel then down to our property that we were renting at the time. It was dreadful seeing about thirty or so trees thousands of years old just cut down because he 'didn't want them anymore'. And all the hedging was cut down that used to support birds, squirrels and the like. Nasty man.

glamourpuss

Visit site
If the tree doesn't have a preservation order on it then I'd chop it down, build the larger arena.
Then plant another 2 trees elsewhere to try to ease the horrible guilt at getting rid of a tree 😢

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I like the idea of a little seat around it. As long as you can get around the root problem it wouldn't bother me. Ok might be annoying when practising a dressage test, but only have a 20x30 would be much worse IMO. Jumping in a 30x20 would be tight.

RunToEarth

Visit site
The tree will die if someone cuts the roots or nails copper nails in to it

If it has a TPO on it (which I think OP is alluding to by "stupid council law") it is an offence to cause wilful damage or destruction - the maximum penalty is £20k.

No OP, having a tree in the middle of your arena is not a good idea, and will most probably be declined by local authority if the tree has a TPO on it, as digging an arena around the tree would not be good for the tree.

ossy

Visit site
Has the tree got a tpo on it that prevents it from being chopped down? If so are you sure they would let you build an arena around it? Do you no if you are allowed to trim it back or could it just keeping growing expanding in your arena. That said I'd go for the bigger arena with tree in it. I've been on a yard where there was a tree in it but it was a massive arena (60x60) and designed around one of the jumps.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
One if the local pony club/sj instructors has a tree in the middle.of her school. Think her name is pauline rickett as far as I'm aware it's fine and doesn't bother them.

Llanali

Visit site
One if the local pony club/sj instructors has a tree in the middle.of her school. Think her name is pauline rickett as far as I'm aware it's fine and doesn't bother them.

I was just about to say this, Pauline does indeed have a tree in her arena! Felbridge also has a circle in the centre!

shadowboy

Visit site
There is a lady by me who does SJ lessons and arena hire with a tree in the middle of her arena. It's actually fab- great for shade when 'resting' in the middle of a lesson. It also got last one used to jumping in and out of different lighting/shade. She says Autumn can be annoying with having to take the leaves up but must get blown into one corner. It's been in 4 years now and no root problems or issue with uneven surface.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I was just about to say this, Pauline does indeed have a tree in her arena! Felbridge also has a circle in the centre!

Never had a lesson off her but have seen pictures of friends who have boxed to her yard jumping with the tree in the shot...some.of them are quite pretty.

Billyboo

Visit site
It is unfortunately protected by a preservation order. We have 70 other trees within that area, do you think the council will really notice? We would just plant a couple more.

GlamourDol

Visit site
We had a tree on the last yard I worked on. It was 20m to the inside of the tree so was great for test riding and the added space the other side was great.
That tree saved us a few times, nothing like heading towards it on a bucking youngster to make them think and stop 😄

Equi

Visit site
Having worked for the council tree department, yes, they would notice. They know every tree xD

popsdosh

Visit site
Having worked for the council tree department, yes, they would notice. They know every tree xD

I believe also you need a felling licence for any over 8in circumference which technically makes all trees over this size protected until you get the licence . Some councils have imposed TPOs on every tree in their areas as routine so be very careful as you tend to find your neighbour can be your worst enemy with this sort of thing.