Trickle-haynet

jess2353

Visit site
looking into getting one for my fast eating mare so her hay will take her through the night.
have heard there quite good at slowing them down.

does anyone know where to buy them from? been searching the net with no luck :/

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
They are BRILL! the first one i bought in December 2011 and it's still going strong with no holes (and my TB easily rips apart normal nets) and bought another in December 2012 and going strong too. Two Trickles last my TB all night with some hay left at the bottom when I get to the yard at 8:30am. I bought mine from their website.

Ali27

Visit site
The trickle bet has slowed our greedy pony down but it doesn't last her all night. I put a second net in with oat straw mixed with hay which hopefully gives her something to nibble on over night. She does sometimes have some left!

Amaranta

Visit site
One of mine is a proper piglet and I bought her one at the beginning of January, it definitely slows her down but she still has none left in the morning. I have taken to giving her a tub trug full of chopped oat straw in addition, which she does nibble on overnight, there is usually some of this left in the morning.

Fjord

Visit site
I've got a couple, they are the only nets that will slow my mare down and they stand up to a lot of abuse.

muffinmunsh

Visit site
I bought two about 18 months ago. They trickle effect worked brilliantly, however, my gelding has managed to rip botH, one along the seam and the other one right in the middle :( . We also had to replace the drawstrings after a couple of months. Overall, I think they are probably not worth 30 a piece I paid.

Purple18

Visit site
I have one they don't last all night sadly I think you'd need two. really worth the money just wish they were abit bigger if i could alot of hay in it it would last all night i get get about 8kg but anymore and the hole at the top won't close which meants they just pull it out the top.

Fruitcake

Visit site
I bought an 'Elimanet' and loved it at first as it really slowed my horse down and there was always hay left in the morning. After a few months though, he managed to move the knots on the vertical bits of mesh so that he could enlarge the holes and get more out!

I resorted to making a triple net, taking the draw cord out of three standard nets and rethreading one of them through all three so that hanging it up was easier. This seemed to slow him down a bit more.

Jericho

Visit site
Just bought one, mine refuses to eat out of it grrrr! I know she knows how to because i have seen her pick at it but she is just being lazy. She seems to rather stand in her stable during the day pleading starvation and then pig out on the adlib hay in the field at night. Am sure she will work it out though...

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've got my two an Elimanet (dunno if spelt right) each; bought items just before Xmas at a local Equine event but TBH they're not wearing very well and some of the knots on the top bit are coming undone.

What I tend to do is to double or even triple-net ordinary haylage nets. Cheap and effective. This slows them right down - and is much cheaper than the much-vaunted Trickle-net; which IMO (I've said it before and I'll say it again) is horrendously expensive in my view. They are thirty quid EACH!!! So for two horses just not economic. Yes I know I'd save hay, yes I know they're supposed to be virtually indestructable, but sixty-quid's worth of hay takes a helluva lot of getting back.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Makes no difference to the speed that my gelding eats. Still needs a second net just as he did before I was given one.
It is very strong material but as another poster said, its difficult to pull the drawcord tightly shut.

Definitely overpriced and prefer double netting.

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
I have one they don't last all night sadly I think you'd need two. really worth the money just wish they were abit bigger if i could alot of hay in it it would last all night i get get about 8kg but anymore and the hole at the top won't close which meants they just pull it out the top.

You can use the drawstring to kind of sew the top shut before tying it up. Stopped my two pulling it out the top anyway.

jess2353

Visit site
yeah there pretty expensive at £30 & having 2 buy to aswel plus delivery costs will be around £70 odd.

umm I might try triple netting and see how I get on :) so that'll be 6 nets ima go buy today.

She's such a food orientated horse, she always seems constantly hungry. She will attack her haynet and won't come up for breath until the whole lots gone. anyone would think she hadn't been fed for a month the way she acts

Thanks for help people

birchave0

Visit site
well worth the money, I have one each for my two and if I stuff them full they will last between 4 and 5 hours, which compared to maybe an hour for a normal net is a huge improvement!
yes they are expensive, but very well made, especially when you compare them next to other nets.

I bought seconds when they were on special offer, but TBH can't see why they were seconds as still very robust and well made :)

PS - if you pull the draw string, then loop it back through on the other side it closes the top completely ;) my greedy TB tried the eating out of the top trick ha ha

Purple18

Visit site
You can use the drawstring to kind of sew the top shut before tying it up. Stopped my two pulling it out the top anyway.

I do you bailing twine to try and hold it shut but even with it there are holes at the top and bottom of it that are just too big. filling it to 6kg works because it will then close well with tiny hole sat the top. My mare is a sod if i put more than one peice of bailing twine she will undo it this is with like a bow tied over and over about 5 times. thanks for the advice tho :) I'm still looking for something else like it i just can't afford another one

Foxy girl

Visit site
I bought one at Your Horse Live for my pony but it broke within a day or two of using it. Have patched it up but next time I'd just buy two or three cheapy nets and put them one inside other...

birchave0

Visit site
I bought one at Your Horse Live for my pony but it broke within a day or two of using it. Have patched it up but next time I'd just buy two or three cheapy nets and put them one inside other...

Trickle Net say if they break within 6 months they will repair them for free, why not contact them??

SillySausage

Visit site
well worth the money, I have one each for my two and if I stuff them full they will last between 4 and 5 hours, which compared to maybe an hour for a normal net is a huge improvement!
yes they are expensive, but very well made, especially when you compare them next to other nets.

I bought seconds when they were on special offer, but TBH can't see why they were seconds as still very robust and well made :)

PS - if you pull the draw string, then loop it back through on the other side it closes the top completely ;) my greedy TB tried the eating out of the top trick ha ha

Aha! Bought mine one three days ago and he's been pulling out of the top too. Will give the looping a go!

Equimo

Visit site

Forgive me for lurking. We sometimes have a scout round the forums just to get a general feel of how the product is performing, and see if there are any problems occuring.
Just got to pipe up here and say, you didn't buy a Trickle Net at Your Horse Live.
We have not done any trade shows yet, we are a very new business. Hoping to get out and about this year though!

Perhaps you bought another small holed haynet. Our nets are quite different. :)

Venevidivici

Visit site
I'd be amazed if it had broken-they seem virtually indestructible! There's a big ID on our yard,who is a serial net-wrecker and he's not managed to so much as tweak his tricklenet,let alone rip or chew it! (Had it for over a year and used daily.) They last the horses between 5 and 7 hours (depending on greediness!) and our owners think that's well worth the £30... :)
However,I will say Equimo,the drawstring/twine broke on half of our within a few months. (It broke on the ones used by the greediest/most aggressive eaters) and we have had to replace with polyproplene type rope but even this breaks every few weeks. It seems to be because the net itself is so goddam tough,it abrades the drawstring,which then frays and snaps. A more durable string is needed-perhaps what the net itself is made of? Any chance of 3 replacement strings?!? :D

ihatework

Visit site
My serial net destructor hasn't so much as frayed the trickle net! So from that perspective it's very good. It is however not quite as big in capacity as I hoped and also is a real faff to fill. It needs to be bigger and 'rounder' rather than slightly tube like. I still have to give a second net overnight

Venevidivici

Visit site
They are a pain to fill,I agree:-/ If you do it without gloves on,they make your knuckles raw (cos the material is so tough!) (It's difficult to open the neck/mouth v wide because of the *unslippiness* of the drawstring and the net material.) Still think they're better than double netting tho...and haven't needed to, but I bet a double netted tricklenet would def not run out overnight!;)

morrismob

Visit site
There's one on eBay at the mo ( ending tonight) but people have gone mad its at neally £26 plus £3.99 postage. Mad mad mad

Really :eek: I have 2 sitting around doing nothing my guy hated them totally and pulled the ring off the wall twice so not being used. Going on ebay tomorrow pronto :D

tankgirl1

Visit site
Not tried tricklenets, but bought a horse sized elimanet and gave up after a few weeks a) because it was so difficult to tie up thru the metal ring, and b) because all the knots started coming undone!

Used cheapy small holed haynets since then, but must admit the tricklenet looks good :)