Tried and tested ways of getting motorists to slow down

Stacey_xo

Visit site
On the lookout for some tried and tested methods of getting motorists to slow down, as it seems me waving my arms frantically and my horse jigging about in the road isn’t working.

I would love to invest in the POLITE gear, but it is very expensive, so does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve seen people use L plates before, fluorescent tassels on the end of schooling whips, hi-vis with speed camera pics on, do these things work?

rextherobber

Visit site
I've got a hi viz waistcoat which says the pass at 10mph and 2m away message, but also says I'm wearing a camera ( I'm not). I honestly think fear of being filmed helps more than anything. Unfortunately, the message is only on the back. I tried a more towards the middle of my side of the road, but that just put us closer to oncoming cars. Weirdly, have also found people will slow down for 2 or more horses, but not one.

Barton Bounty

Just simply loving life with Orbi 🥰
Visit site
I have a camera, best investment ever, makes me feel so much safer. But it doesnt stop people. The older generation are the worst! Cantankerous old feckers ? but if any of them put me in danger. I will go straight to the police station. They do not hesitate to charge people nowadays. If you have proof. Its makes their job so much easier.
As an extra I take a whip and am always prepared to whack it off someone side window if they are too close.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Print My Words has some good value high viz but given I ride in an orange jacket and a yellow/pink quarter sheet and people still pass me at speed I'm getting a camera for Xmas.

Reporting dangerous driving to the police if you've got enough info can stop an individual driver acting like a **** but if you don't have reg etc then you can still report on the BHS ap

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was dressed up like a beacon and an old man, who had just finished his pub Sunday lunch, still drove right into me. I am talking more High Viz than was even sensible.

I have no advice other than to dress as I did when hit. Horse survived because of knee boots as he flew off the bonnet, through the windscreen and was catapulted up and then down the road. They were tough boots and scraped through as he skeddaddled down the tarmac. I recommend them too. Plus the brushing boots and overreach boots.

Barton Bounty

Just simply loving life with Orbi 🥰
Visit site
I was dressed up like a beacon and an old man, who had just finished his pub Sunday lunch, still drove right into me. I am talking more High Viz than was even sensible.

I have no advice other than to dress as I did when hit. Horse survived because of knee boots as he flew off the bonnet, through the windscreen and was catapulted up and then down the road. They were tough boots and scraped through as he skeddaddled down the tarmac. I recommend them too. Plus the brushing boots and overreach boots.
Omg! Tht sounds horrific and terrifying! I am so glad you were both ok ?

SEL

Visit site

Horrific

Was he drunk? I've started avoiding around 2pm Sundays because I swear the post lunch crowd shouldn't be let anywhere near a car.

The police are getting better if they have video evidence but I wish our local councils would get off their backsides too. There's a lot that could be done with road signage.

asmp

Visit site
There’s been a couple of interesting letters in The Telegraoh this week saying that cyclists should be like horse riders and wear lots of high viz.

The only thing I can add is to be careful of riding into the setting sun. I was nearly hit from behind a few months ago despite high viz because the driver was blinded by the sun. No excuse though. I could have been a child on a bike.

asmp

Visit site
Horrific

Was he drunk? I've started avoiding around 2pm Sundays because I swear the post lunch crowd shouldn't be let anywhere near a car.

The police are getting better if they have video evidence but I wish our local councils would get off their backsides too. There's a lot that could be done with road signage.
My husband belongs to a local golf club. He often horrified by the number of people who drink after the game and then get in their cars.

Red-1

Visit site
Horrific

Well, he was 79 years old and on his way home from the pub. We will never know as the Police omitted to breathalise. I was on a body board and the horse had disappeared with the saddle under his belly or I would have queried their actions.

HashRouge

Visit site
Well, he was 79 years old and on his way home from the pub. We will never know as the Police omitted to breathalise. I was on a body board and the horse had disappeared with the saddle under his belly or I would have queried their actions.
I can't believe they didn't breathalyse him! I'm sure that goes against their own procedures!

Red-1

Visit site
I can't believe they didn't breathalyse him! I'm sure that goes against their own procedures!

Long story. They wouldn't accept a complaint and I ended up with an interview with HMI. The rules changed shortly after so I hope I had, in some way, made things easier for people following.

It was a very difficult time.

Griffin

Visit site
-Wear a combination of different hi viz colours and make sure both you and your horse are wearing it (one of my pet hates are riders out with a dirty yellow tabard who then wonder why no one can see them).
- A brightly coloured schooling whip can help to create more space.
- If I can and it's safe to do so, I will turn round and 'eyeball' approaching drivers so they know I have seen them.
- Always report any near misses on the BHS Horse i app because they can use the data to lobby police forces.

DirectorFury

Visit site
For some motorists, the kind that ignore you while you’re frantically waving at them and your horse is throwing some shapes, it’s not that they can’t see you. It’s that they don’t give a sh1t because they think they own the road and they hate the fact that you’re on ‘their’ road, delaying their journey by maybe 5 seconds.

Hi-vis does nothing to effect these type of drivers. The only thing that works is a hat cam, mounted in such a way that it’s obvious you’re wearing a camera when you turn your head to look behind you. If oncoming drivers are approaching too fast I’ll often reach up to it and pretend to press the button to start recording (it’s always recording), and they always slow right down as soon as I do.

It’s not a cheap solution, though the older model Go Pros have come down in price to ~£250, but it’s the only one that I’ve found to work!

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
I've found that wearing a camera (along with multiple arrays of hiviz on me and the horse, and magnetic camera signs that I can move into differing bits of clothing) and regularly reporting drivers to the police, with footage, has had a dramatic effect on local drivers.

The absolute best drivers round me are the boy racers, the tractor drivers (often the same people), the milk tanker and grain lorry drivers, and the white van men. Absolute worst are older people, priests, and women of any age, particularly young ones and mothers.

asmp

Visit site
I've found that wearing a camera (along with multiple arrays of hiviz on me and the horse, and magnetic camera signs that I can move into differing bits of clothing) and regularly reporting drivers to the police, with footage, has had a dramatic effect on local drivers.

The absolute best drivers round me are the boy racers, the tractor drivers (often the same people), the milk tanker and grain lorry drivers, and the white van men. Absolute worst are older people, priests, and women of any age, particularly young ones and mothers.
So true - we often say the women around our way are the worse for smiling and thanking you back. They usually totally ignore the fact you have got off the road so they can pass.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
For some motorists, the kind that ignore you while you’re frantically waving at them and your horse is throwing some shapes, it’s not that they can’t see you. It’s that they don’t give a sh1t because they think they own the road and they hate the fact that you’re on ‘their’ road, delaying their journey by maybe 5 seconds.

Hi-vis does nothing to effect these type of drivers. The only thing that works is a hat cam, mounted in such a way that it’s obvious you’re wearing a camera when you turn your head to look behind you. If oncoming drivers are approaching too fast I’ll often reach up to it and pretend to press the button to start recording (it’s always recording), and they always slow right down as soon as I do.

It’s not a cheap solution, though the older model Go Pros have come down in price to ~£250, but it’s the only one that I’ve found to work!

I wonder if you could get an effect from a fake camera. Obviously no use as evidence but if drivers are reacting to seeing it, it might be a cheaper option.

rextherobber

Visit site
Horrific

I emailed our council and the Highways department about overgrown and badly placed signage, and cutting back undergrowth ( not trees, just 10ft high brambles) to improve visibility where the bridleway meets the road. I explained the difficulty it caused, on a still dry day, you can hear the traffic, but on a windy, wet day it's harder, and there are obviously more and more electric vehicles. I pointed out that if they extended the 40mph limit another 200m, it would cover the traffic slowing down to turn into two local businesses ( and also include the entrance to the bridleway in that limit). They came out and snipped ONE branch from in front of one sign. That was all. I also honestly don't think drivers know what the Slow Down arm signal means, and in their defence, as a motorist, I've also seen horse riders giving some signals that are more like swotting flies.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Can you still get the polite hi viz that looked like police kit??

I’ve not ridden for awhile but that worked really well. But then I did ride an 18hh shire who looked like a police horse

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes you can still get the polite hi viz.
I have to say the drivers here are very good it’s extremely rare to meet a idiot and cyclists behaviour has transformed in the last couple of years .

On cyclists and hi viz I passed a cyclist on Thursday at dusk ,heavy rain black bike no lights black or dark blue clothing he was almost invisible .
A cyclist is tiny in comparison to a horse far harder to see I have no idea why there’s an expectation that we keep ourselves visible but it ok to dress in black and ride an unlit bike in the dark .

Kunoichi73

Visit site
On cyclists and hi viz I passed a cyclist on Thursday at dusk ,heavy rain black bike no lights black or dark blue clothing he was almost invisible .
A cyclist is tiny in comparison to a horse far harder to see I have no idea why there’s an expectation that we keep ourselves visible but it ok to dress in black and ride an unlit bike in the dark .

There are loads of cyclists like that round here. Mainly deliveroo riders and youths riding mountain bikes with fat tyres (in the middle of the road pulling wheelies). I've seen them ride past police cars and not get pulled over!

Stacey_xo

Visit site
Thanks all for your suggestions, I think I will invest in a camera also and something indicating I have a camera on me. I always wear high-vis and always have spares for anyone riding with me who doesn’t have one, and I have high-vis horse wear but I’ve not noticed a difference if he is wearing it or not, people still fly by without a care in the world, and the only road we go on are single lane tracks unfortunately. I will definitely try something on the whip as well and sticking that out to the side ?