Tried and tested ways of getting motorists to slow down

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I have ridden my horse on the road for years which includes central London by himself, and my advice is as follows. Always wear a long-sleeved Hi-Viz jacket. Also buy and wear a Techalogic DC-1 camera as this records both in front and behind you. If you wish to slow a vehicle down then point your finger at the driver with your arm out-stretched for 3 seconds and then hold the palm of your hand out towards them. This normally does the trick. Always thank drivers for slowing down by smiling and holding your hand upwards or by smiling and nodding your head. If you have any problems, then report them to the Police on their reporting portal or 101 and if you have a camera, you can download them on the local police 'Operation Snap' portal showing 3 minutes before and after the incident. Also report on the www.horseincidents.org.uk or the Horse i App as they collect the statistics for when negotiating with central and local governments to improve equine road safety. If there is a particular road where you are having problems then ask the BHS Safety Department to organise an Operation Snap with the local Police along that road. Operation Snap is when a rider is observed riding along a road and any vehicles passing it dangerously are stopped by Police. Never ride out when the sun is low and bright as it blinds drivers. I hope that this helps.

smolmaus

Visit site
For some motorists, the kind that ignore you while you’re frantically waving at them and your horse is throwing some shapes, it’s not that they can’t see you. It’s that they don’t give a sh1t because they think they own the road and they hate the fact that you’re on ‘their’ road, delaying their journey by maybe 5 seconds.
Yep. Awareness does nothing for these types, the only thing that will make a change is consequences and a camera is the only way to make that happen.

I bought an Akaso Brave action cam after my scary near miss. A friend managed to get her phone out in time to get a photo, so the police could find him and unofficially caution him but you can't always rely on someone being that quick and the officer said that going to court would likely not get very far as we only had a photo, no video of the incident. I haven't been out hacking without someone on the ground since but if I EVER do, I won't go without the camera and the head mount as obvious as possible.

scats

Visit site
I wear hi viz and the horse wears hi viz. Vest and hat band for me, or jacket in winter. Horse has an exercise sheet, a mesh one in summer. I also try to be overly nice and it does seem to help. I’ll smile and wave and thank people, nod and smile at anyone coming up behind or ahead. Try to tuck in to let people pass safely etc I try to make them realise there’s a pleasant human aboard the horse so even if they don’t like horses on roads, they can’t be too offended. Of course there’s always the idiots, but think there will always be.
Pulling off my biggest Cheshire Cat smile and appearing friendly and personable is basically how I get through life ? It’s amazing how far it gets you!

stangs

Visit site
Always thank drivers for slowing down by smiling and holding your hand upwards or by smiling and nodding your head.
This. I thank anyone who makes the slightest effort to slow down or give us distance.

There’s three types of people - people who know how to pass a horse, people who don’t, and people who don’t care. Locally, most people fit that second category. I like to think I can shape the behaviour by thanking for the small change first so, next time, they’re more willing to oblige if I ask them to slow down or wait for a moment. But you do have to interact with them and help them out or else you’re contributing to the stereotype that horse people think they own the road.

scats

Visit site
I have to admit that I witness some shocking behaviour from local riders. I don’t just mean not thanking people (coz actually we shouldn’t have to in reality- though I think it helps our cause if we do) but I mean actual rudeness to other road users, being on mobile phones in busy traffic, too busy talking to each other etc. It angers me so I dread to think what non-riders think.

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
One other thing take a look at the Facebook 'Pass Wide and Slow' Pages.View attachment 102877

Yeah, if you're a stroppy individual who hates all other road users and blames them for everything, yet takes no responsibility for the actions of riders as road users, and believes that saying thank you to people when they show consideration for you equates to "thanking them for not killing you" (direct quote) then, yeah, the PWAS group is for you :confused:

onemoretime

Visit site
I was dressed up like a beacon and an old man, who had just finished his pub Sunday lunch, still drove right into me. I am talking more High Viz than was even sensible.

I have no advice other than to dress as I did when hit. Horse survived because of knee boots as he flew off the bonnet, through the windscreen and was catapulted up and then down the road. They were tough boots and scraped through as he skeddaddled down the tarmac. I recommend them too. Plus the brushing boots and overreach boots.

:eek: OMG im so sorry to read this. I hope you and your horse have recovered. Is he ok with traffic now? I hope you reported the driver.

onemoretime

Visit site
I wonder if you could get an effect from a fake camera. Obviously no use as evidence but if drivers are reacting to seeing it, it might be a cheaper option.

I use my husbands Apple phone put under my hat band it works brilliantly and gives a very good picture.

Horseysheepy

Visit site
I just think that some people just won't be told. I've ridden out in a group where a fellow rider has screemed and shouted with waving hands to slow an oncoming driver who just keeps coming anyway and proceeds to speed away loudly afterwards in anger,and then that time my friend hit the top of a car with her whip as it passed, only to have them pull over ahead of us and almost pull the girl off her horse in anger.
I think sometimes sadly we have to accept that there's always going to be idiots and uneducated drivers of all ages and backgrounds on the roads and it's best to not rise to their behaviour, and just concentrate on keeping yourself and horse safe.

Hi Viz, on rider and hi viz wraps on horses legs are good, especially for cyclists who ride with heads low helps them to see us.

Always smile/wave to those who do take care, and say hello to people on foot. Gives a good impression.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I don't ride anymore but it doesn't help when there's people who go out riding who don't show drivers any courtesy for example not saying thank you/ not making any effort to pick up the pace to get to a place where it's good to overtake them etc. It works both ways - it used to annoy me and I rode!

I always did the same routes so knew where safe places to allow cars to pass were and would always trot to reach them rather than continuing to meander along if a car came.

And I ALWAYS said thank you properly with a hand signal even if they didn't really slow down. If he was being a complete k**b because he'd heard the hunt, then I'd do a very visible smile and nod, though would still try and do a hand signal. I think I forgot once with one car because he was being a right p**t and felt awful!!

I agree it should be compulsory for cyclists to wear hi Viz and a helmet

I always found motorcyclists were fantastic when passing him, so made sure I properly thanked them. Its a 2 way effort

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Can you still get the polite hi viz that looked like police kit??

I’ve not ridden for awhile but that worked really well. But then I did ride an 18hh shire who looked like a police horse

Get a big horse is my advice. It's as if drivers don't want a big horse to sit on their bonnet but don't care if a smaller one does. Of course a small horse would cause a lot of damage too but I have found they avoid big, steady horses who are highly unlikely to jump about in the road but disregard finer built spooky typeso_O
I suggest always using leg wraps, along with other hi viz as they catch the eye as they move.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The only thing I found that slows them down is the POLITE hi viz kit with the blue/white strips. Huge difference in that kit to the normal yellow exercise sheets.

It is interesting how motorists react to the different horses too, the big black horses, Ted at 17h and looks even bigger seems to command much more respect in his POLITE kit than any of the others. I suppose he actually does look like a police horse. The smaller maxi cob, black and rather wide but only 16h also gets respect. The two of them side by side stops all traffic !

Where we can, we ride double breasted and that forces the slow down/respectful passing. A police equine safety talk I went to years ago advised this rather than single file and shuffled into the hedge or kerbside.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I've kept horses in various parts of the county over the years and I've observed that being stabled close to one of the rough towns seemed to equal a lot of asshole drivers. Whereas being near or in a more affluent village seems to result in more civilised road users.
I'm currently in one of those nice villages and at a big , top end competition yard. There's no need to hack on the road here but I'm doing that ATM to avoid most hill work : I wear a long sleeved high viz and wave drivers down to attract their attention to my moving arm. I've not yet had a problem with anyone
But being nearer a rough town , going on the roads was truly dangerous , so much aggression from drivers , people swearing , beeping their horns , you name it. And waving at them to slow down usually makes them even more aggressive

Sossigpoker

Visit site
The only thing I found that slows them down is the POLITE hi viz kit with the blue/white strips. Huge difference in that kit to the normal yellow exercise sheets.

It is interesting how motorists react to the different horses too, the big black horses, Ted at 17h and looks even bigger seems to command much more respect in his POLITE kit than any of the others. I suppose he actually does look like a police horse. The smaller maxi cob, black and rather wide but only 16h also gets respect. The two of them side by side stops all traffic !

The police pattern definitely works. Traffic would stop for me when I had my big ID when I was clad in that stuff.
I've now bought that blue and silver police pattern high viz tape which I keep meaning to sew onto my long sleeve high viz.

AntiPuck

Visit site
A tabard that has a speed cam symbol on it, and says 'camera recording' - like this: https://www.printmywords.co.uk/prod...iz-reflective-vest-camera-recording-max-10-2m

And ideally also wear a camera and report idiots to Operation Snap with the footage - I can highly recommend the Techalogic DC-1 as it records both front and back (get yourself into the habit of saying the idiots' numberplates out loud so you have audio as backup for police reports, and it also stops you swearing, which the police don't like much).

In addition, mixed colurs of hi viz in sufficient amounts (i.e. not just a single, dirty tabard) helps.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have to admit that I witness some shocking behaviour from local riders. I don’t just mean not thanking people (coz actually we shouldn’t have to in reality- though I think it helps our cause if we do) but I mean actual rudeness to other road users, being on mobile phones in busy traffic, too busy talking to each other etc. It angers me so I dread to think what non-riders think.

Last week a woman on a white horse came over the blind summit of a fast moving narrow country road towards us with no hi vis to be seen. She was tucked tight in to the left in a dawdling walk, which was encouraging motorists to pass her on the blind summit, and if they had done that they would have hit us or her.

And she was ON HER PHONE!

She must have a death wish but she needs to think of the poor motorists who hit her or are hit by another car.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Yeah, if you're a stroppy individual who hates all other road users and blames them for everything, yet takes no responsibility for the actions of riders as road users, and believes that saying thank you to people when they show consideration for you equates to "thanking them for not killing you" (direct quote) then, yeah, the PWAS group is for you :confused:

hate that group, how i haven't ben banned yet is a miracle lol!

*some* of the riders on there think THEY own the road!

Kaylum

Visit site
Don't ride on the road when the sun is low even with different hi vizcolours there are blind spots when you just cannot see anything. I was stopped as I was nearly hit with pink and orange on. He said he couldn't see me he totally apologised I thanked him for pointing it out to me and got off the road. I was very lucky that day.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Frequent road user here. Agree with comments above about nice villages being generally safer. I guess this is because there are more pedestrians, joggers and dog walkers on the road, which makes the motorist wary... that and the local neighbourhood watch are much more scary than the police ;)

- Sight-lines - Doesn't matter if you're orange if you're on the left hand side of a single track road approaching a left hand bend. There are times when riding in the middle or even rhs of the road gives the motorist several seconds to slow down.

- Awareness - you need to be aware of and adapting to other road users,. e.g. ride in the middle until you hear engine slow, then step aside to ease their overtake when safe, or sit stubbornly in the middle to prevent them if it isn't. This allows you to be more courteous too, which can only help. Same with hazards. Don't just carry on plodding along when you're on the blind side of a turn... get your leg on until you're a safe distance past.

- Road position and signalling - make it clear what you are going to do, even if it's obvious that you need to step around a parked car, make it clear that you are about to do so, and be assertive about it. Take up the road and be a clear obstacle when there isn't space for them to squeeze past or they will. Don't hug the kerb; they will just fly past you like you're a lamp post.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I do customised hoodies and can do neon coloured ones (neon yellow / orange etc.) with anything you like written on the back in reflective type vinyl? For example just the word "SLOW" in big letters might help?

paddy555

Visit site
I can't help with cars but did want to record my success with training trails motor bikes. Our roads are vey narrow, nowhere to get out of the way and we have ROW where trials bikes zoom up and down and round the roads on the week ends.
When I first met these they just kept coming at the horses. I stopped them, explained and each time we met them I made a point of going to talk to them.
Yesterday we met them on a steep hill, at first glimpse of the horses they pulled into the side, all engines off. We thanked each one personally as we went past and their comments were more or less "of course we stop for horses, why ever not, you are very welcome etc"
All that training had paid off. I was quite proud of my trials bikers. :)

Kaylum

Visit site
Frequent road user here. Agree with comments above about nice villages being generally safer. I guess this is because there are more pedestrians, joggers and dog walkers on the road, which makes the motorist wary... that and the local neighbourhood watch are much more scary than the police ;)

- Sight-lines - Doesn't matter if you're orange if you're on the left hand side of a single track road approaching a left hand bend. There are times when riding in the middle or even rhs of the road gives the motorist several seconds to slow down.

- Awareness - you need to be aware of and adapting to other road users,. e.g. ride in the middle until you hear engine slow, then step aside to ease their overtake when safe, or sit stubbornly in the middle to prevent them if it isn't. This allows you to be more courteous too, which can only help. Same with hazards. Don't just carry on plodding along when you're on the blind side of a turn... get your leg on until you're a safe distance past.

- Road position and signalling - make it clear what you are going to do, even if it's obvious that you need to step around a parked car, make it clear that you are about to do so, and be assertive about it. Take up the road and be a clear obstacle when there isn't space for them to squeeze past or they will. Don't hug the kerb; they will just fly past you like you're a lamp post.

Totally agree be responsible for your own road safety and lead your horses out when they are young, stand them at the edge of the road let them see what the noises are. Take them places and let them see things. I quite often took mine down to the supermarket and he would stand being fussed whilst all the trolleys were whizzing passed him. Be the local mad horse woman with the friendly horse and when they see you they know you and wave.

Barton Bounty

Just simply loving life with Orbi 🥰
Visit site
It is doing my head in how close and fast some people are! This was two days ago ??‍♀️

edited to add….. the pick up was tanking he was doing 60 ish on a tiny road all with blind corners and youd be lucky if he slowed to 40 to get past me bearing in mind I had just told two kids to watch their back as a car was coming quickly.

https://youtube.com/shorts/3-4qlE-Z0eo?feature=share

Last edited: