Trotting on roads

Rebels

Visit site
Good or bad? Sometimes neccessary I know but does anyone purposely trot on roads to fitten their horses? Do you believe it strengthens tendons or does it just jar up legs? I'm wondering whether to introduce it into the fitness programs of my eventers as i normally trot on the grass tracks, sometimes gravel and verges where there are some but generally walk on roads.

Katie__Connie

Visit site
Oh gosh I hope it doesn't hurt their legs... we all do lots of trotting road work for fitness work
blush.gif

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Always trotted on roads (steady and never downhill) and never had any problems with any horse. *touches wood*

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I do occasionally trot on roads, but don't make a habbit of it. If he is feeling very fresh I'll let him have a little trot to settle him and if there is a car I will trot to a passing place.
I have done more trotting work on roads previously with barefoot horses as they are less likely to suffer from concussion.
As long as you don't do too much, and build up the time you do do slowly I don't see too much of a problem.

nativepony

Visit site
I avoid trotting on roads unless I absolutely have to ie. if a car is coming up behind me and is impatient. I really don't think that trotting on concrete can be good for their legs and is unnecessary. Reckon you can get horses fit enough on softer ground without trotting on roads.
smile.gif

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I have always trotted on roads. Fittening hunters, eventers and my endurance pony. Out hunting sometimes i hammer along on the roads and it has never done any harm. Although i would not hammer along on normal exercise just trot sensably. Some people only have roads to hack on and have no choice but to trot on them.

lucy1984

Visit site
If mine had shoes on I wouldnt trot on hard ground unless I had to (ie round a bend to become more visable quicker to traffic).

As it happens mine dont have shoes, so I do trot on hard ground allowing their hooves to absorb the shock and not their tendons (as it would be done wearing shoes).

Alfie_Moo

Visit site
Don't really know if it causes problems. However a horse at my yard now has problems with his hooves and tendons the vet thinks it is from from being trotted and cantered on hard surfaces like roads when he was a hunter.

nicky_jakey

Visit site
We only trot the racehorses (as part of their fittening programme) very slowly up a hill. They are only supposed to do a 'gentle' trot & this is only ever up hills - not for a long period for risk of jarring legs.
They walk out & this strengthens the legs.
I guess everyone is different!

E_Lister

Visit site
I trot on roads regularly as all our "shorter" hacks involve at least 2 miles of road work. I have never noticed any hugely negative effects although one of my friends ponies has windgalls which enflame if she trots on the road. Ironically she is the pony which has the most enthusiasm trotting on the road and pings about with such force that the windgalls are maybe to be expected.

If done carefully and in moderation it isn't a problem IMHO.

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If mine had shoes on I wouldnt trot on hard ground unless I had to (ie round a bend to become more visable quicker to traffic).

As it happens mine dont have shoes, so I do trot on hard ground allowing their hooves to absorb the shock and not their tendons (as it would be done wearing shoes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto this. A horse's unshod hoof is a great shock absorber as it spreads under load.

hannahkirkhill

Visit site
Do quite a bit of road work with all of mine, nearly always trot on the flat, up hills and have never had any harm come from it. Not sure about it hardening legs off, I know thats what was always said though.
Was talking about this the other day when we met some one out hacking and tried to tag alone with them, but gave up as they were trotting so fast it was impossible!! Had never really thought about it before, but I trot quite slowly almost at a hound jog mum said- a pace a pack of hounds could keep up with - not when in full cry
tongue.gif

I love my road work / hacking to help fitness esp finding long steep hills to trot up
laugh.gif

JoJo_

Visit site
I trot on roads but usually only when going uphill, never downhill. I think strengthens the tendons but I dont over do it. Short bursts at a steady pace usually.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Reckon you can get horses fit enough on softer ground without trotting on roads

[/ QUOTE ]

depends very much where you are imo, we only recently well a year or so ago got any off road access at all, only one stretch has a verge which I wont use in summer as the grass obscures the rubbish dumped there and no arena at home so if I didnt trot on hacks mine would be overweight as exercise is the key to his management.

only_me

Visit site
Yep, always trot on roads. Never downhill though, thats just asking for trouble!

If you trot too fast and for too long, you can cause splints or concussive laminitis.

You should condition your horse to trotting on roads - start by mainly walking and only trotting for short stretches and then build it up, so legs have time to adjust and harden
smile.gif

kezimac

Visit site
no never now.

I always used to but now my horse has been diagnosed with navicular so no trotting on hard surfaces as causes too much damage.
in fairness even with a horse with no issues i probably wouldnt because of concussion and how much damage it can cause.

Equine03

Visit site
I've always trotted on roads without much extra thought
shocked.gif
. It fittens the horses and I'd obviously take more care if I thought it looked particulary slippy or if it was going down hill at all.

Puppy

Visit site
QR - My farrier, who works for the MET, was recently telling me that the "it strengthens the legs" theory has been disproven.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Yep - I don't worry about it since I took all my horses' shoes off. Now barefoot I happily trot (and canter) on roads and don't worry about concussion or slipping. I even trot downhill on roads when I'm competing. It's one of the many benefits of being shoe free!

lannerch

Visit site
I too have heard that the theory that trotting on the road strengthens the legs.

I do however trot on the road but always uphill where the benefits out weigh the risks as far as fittening is concerned.
But I introduce the amount I trot slowly and increase gradually ( still always uphill )

edited to add horse is shod, when unshod could not trot on roads hoof wore down! ( this was before he had ever been shod so hoof could not have come weak from shoeing )

almorton

www.greygatessporthorses.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto this. A horse's unshod hoof is a great shock absorber as it spreads under load.

[/ QUOTE ]

and a shod horses foot will naturally expand also!
providing it is shod CORRECTLY!

Umbongo

Visit site
I have trotted on roads for years. Love to have a nice (but steady and never downhill) trot on the roads. Our horses have never had any problems relating to this. I save the grassy tracks for cantering
tongue.gif

millitiger

Visit site
i trot quite a lot on the roads with all of mine.

i keep a very steady pace, the horse is working into the bridle and only trot on flat parts or uphill.

for every horse with splints/lameness that apparently comes from trotting on the roads (has it ever been proven?) there are 1000's and 1000's of horses who suffer no ill effects.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I trot, not for long periods and not fast, but I will trot. But that is after I have done lots of work getting the horse used to roadwork and its more to switch him back on or to make use of a good hill etc.

WFP says in his book he sees no issue with making the most of good hills etc in trot. I think
wink.gif

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I can't even think how boring (and time consuming!) lots of my hacks would be if I didn't trot on the roads. Mild concussion is good for strengthening and improving the density of the bone I think. You wouldn't expect an olympic marathon runner to do all their work on a treadmill, then run 26 miles on a road would you - that probably would hurt.

I think many tendon and legs issues in recent years come from horses always being worked on soft surfaces like schools. How can you expect a horse to go xc on firm ground if they have only ever done faster work on a man made surface - thats just asking for injuries imho
crazy.gif

3Beasties

Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have access to miles and miles of off road riding so yes I do trot on the road. Never down hill and never a pounding trot!