Trotting on roads

ladyt25

Visit site
As oer Stencilface - have always trotted on roads and never had any probelms as a result. The vibration/concussion helps improve bone density. I don't know about the tendon theory (ie hardening them) but again we have never had any tendon issues with our horses.

The majority of people I know whose horses have suffered tendon injuries are those that spend a high percentage of their time schooling on a surface. Think about it, going round in circles on a soft surface takes much more effort and strain on the legs than trotting on a road - you only have to do it yourself to notice. You try continually jogging in an arena or in deep ground, then do the same on a road. Which is easier?

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
I'm the same, whilst we're lucky enough to be right out in the sticks, there's hardly any off road riding. We have a few byways and bridleways, but only one of these is canter-able. Country lanes it is then, we do sensible trotting and short bursts. Mine are shod on the front only. My Welsh Cob in particular would wear her hooves down with all the roadwork we do. Touch wood - never had any problems.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
mine are barefoot but i still hardly trot on roads, tendons and joints are too precious-once they're buggered, thats it!

my TB often exits the yard like his arse is on fire and for safetys sake i let him trot the first 1/4 mile to settle him(as gently as i can),or else he explodes, but after that, a good strong walk is all we do, and reserve the trotting and cantering for the fields.

chaps89

Visit site
Steady trot on the roads yes. Tho never downhill. He doesn't go in the school now and is happy to charge round the field so I'm sure a little roadwork and trotting doesn't hurt, lets him stretch his legs in a more controlled manner.
Would rather be on the roads which are a level surface than on some of the grass tracks around here- in summer they can be as hard as the roads & often rutted too. Don't like trotting on soft/sticky ground too much either, again would rather ride round the roads then.

phoebeast

Visit site
i always trot on roads and particularly uphill. gets them fit. i've never had any problems, most injuries i've ever had have come from riding in fields. i think it's way too easy to be a total nanny about your horses' legs. they were designed to move.

mickey

Visit site
I used to (as a teenager) ride out polo ponies, show jumpers, mounted games ponies. The owner always let me trot on the roads, though of course I didn't trot downhill. I think one horse had wingalls, although these may have been caused by hunting previous to her ownership? (Just a theory)
I now have my own horse and I have never trotted on the roads. probably I am precious about him, but he does have a spavin, and I can't think the jarring would help him (he is fully shod). I wouldn't do it anyway as I'd rather be cautious although I can see an argument for doing it in cases like preparing a horse for XC, hunting etc.

janeprince

Visit site
I drive a heavy horse and I always trot on the roads. Must admit I don't downhill but thats because the hills near me are very shiny skid like surface and don't fancy a wreck.

My horse is shod on all 4 feet with big heavy shoes.

rocketdog69

Visit site
I've always trotted on roads and never thought it to be an issue. I used to be at a very posh yard where anyone who evented trained their horses on the best surfaces possible but when it came to an actual event, they couldnt cope with the rigours of the ground and were always off with some leg problem, sometimes for months at a time. Its was always the horses that never hacked out, never did roadwork, or if they did it was only a gentle "potter" for 20 mins.

DiablosGold

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've trotted on roads with all of mine and never had any ill effects. I just use my common sense ie no trotting down hill and keep it at a steady speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto this - although don't do any road work at current yard.

Maisy

Visit site
I have always trotted on roads, and my horses have never had any ill effects, however, my horses are cobby native types and you would be hard pushed to break them in any way!! I do, however, believe, that a lot of the injuries that seem to be sustained are from horses being worked on surfaces all the time.....

Kallibear

Visit site
I do lots of trotting on raods as it really improves their feet, if they're barefoot.

It's amazing the difference in concusion if they're barefoot as their frogs absorb a huge part of the shock. When I had Kalli breifly shod you could FEEL the difference in jarring, compared to her normal soft padding along barefoot.