Turned away due to my weight :(

Jellybabie

New User
Visit site
Hello

I have been riding at a local school. I was never weighed and had ridden ponies at 14.2 up to 17h tbs. my school has always been a bit scatty but everyone is really nice. I came back from holiday for two weeks and a new instructor had been taken on. I went to book in and the new instructor seemed surprised when she saw I was a regular client. She asked me to weigh myself which I found really rude but she said I could no longer ride unless I could weigh myself. Anyway I stepped on the scales and I'm 18stone 11 with gear on, I'm 27 and 5ft7. Anyway the instructor said she couldn't allow me to ride until I was 16 stone but said I could do groundwork and learn to lunge etc.
Im really upset as I have ridden nearly all the horses from 14.2 and have never had a problem ,
is this normal for a school or does she just not like me?

Mongoose11

Visit site
Oh dear, I'll take this post at face value and say that over 18 stone, IMO, it too heavy for many horses. I wouldn't want over 18 stone on anything other than a full up ID or a heavy cold blood.

16 stone is a fair and realistic weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

platypus

Visit site
I think most riding schools do have a weight limit, 16 stone is about the average cut off point. I understand why you are annoyed but its not completely out of order.

twiggy2

Visit site
she may be doing you the biggest favour anyone ever has, currently i would agree you are too heavy to ride but she is giving you the opportunity to spend some of your time getting fit whilst around the horses, grab the chance with both hands and get rid of the weight.

ghostie

Visit site
I'm really sorry this has upset you, but I wouldn't take it personally. Nearly every riding school has a weight limit and in my experience 16 stone is actually a very generous limit. All the schools local to me have a 13 stone limit. Whilst you might not have had an issue weight can impact horses in the longterm in terms of wear and tear on joints etc. Understandably riding schools tend to feel obliged to reduce such risks for the animals in their care.

_GG_

Visit site
I would have done the same as the instructor. I would have been as nice about it as possible, but close to 19st if you are 18st11lbs with gear on is really a lot for any horse to carry, especially for lessons doing circles and school exercises.

I am sorry, I know that is not what you want to hear...but the weight limits are there for a reason.

Try to look at it as motivation. I will never say you can't ride a horse if you're over a certain weight, but I will say that you have to put the horses welfare first, make sure it is capable of carrying you and when, those horses belong to someone else, I'm afraid you have to go by their rules.

Sorry you've had such a bad day though.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
With all respect to you, and honestly without wishing to cause you further upset, I think the instructor is absolutely right in her decision. You are at the absolute upper end of a weight scale for riding, and it can't be comfortable for any horse or yourself. It must be a shock to be told the stark truth but look at it this way, she's obviously a good instructor to have the horse's welfare in mind, and secondly it's a wonderful favour to you. You've been kick-started into whole new health regime with a goal to focus on...to ride!!! And trust me, doing the groundwork and lunging is going to really help. Don't be sad! Wishing you loads of luck, you an do it!

Micky

Visit site
Sorry to hear your dilemma, however, look at it from another angle...fantastic, you can learn to lunge, long rein, stride out jumps for people and various horses, learn to watch how horses move, learn to spot problems with them and conformation...whilst you are doing that , at home you can work on losing those extra muffins, and you will feel so much better for it...Go learn, its fun (and sometimes not as easy as it looks and you'll burn some calories). good luck
:)

Jellybabie

New User
Visit site
I guess I just felt a bit miffed as I have ridden there along time and only now have I been told not to ride. All the horses have been fine with me on them. I might just get my own horse now as I'm happy with my current weight. The only reason I didn't get my own horse before was because my old instructor said to wait a bit but she has gone now :(

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Don't forget the weight of the saddle too! I hope you now understand the instructors concern. She wasn't being malicious, just thinking of the school horses.

As it's been offered I would definitely learn some horse related groundwork and in the meantime get a little fitter and trimmer and before long you will be back in the saddle! :)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I also agree with the instructor, we have a heavy weight draft mare of 16h and a friend who has agreed not to ride if she is over 18st. The mare is a weight carrier, but any more than 18st is too much, in our opinion

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Would you not be concerned about 18 plus stone plus tack weight on your own horse???

It's fine for you to be happy about your weight in other aspects of everyday life, although it presents health risks, but not in relation to animals who don't have the ability to communicate their discomfort :-(

I have a 17 hand virtually full ID built like an outside loo and even he wouldn't be asked to carry that much weight.

DressageCob

Visit site
I guess I just felt a bit miffed as I have ridden there along time and only now have I been told not to ride. All the horses have been fine with me on them. I might just get my own horse now as I'm happy with my current weight. The only reason I didn't get my own horse before was because my old instructor said to wait a bit but she has gone now :(

You may be happy but it really isn't fair to expect a horse to carry that weight. That's a quarter if the weight of the average horse. It's the equivalent to you having to run around with a five year old child on your back for however long. I'm sorry but buying your own is not the answer. It's not fair on the horse.

mulledwhine

Visit site

So you have been told that you are too heavy to ride the riding school ponies, so decide to buy a horse if your own, even though you will be asking it to carry the same weight :(

I understand feeling awful about what happened, but no animal should be asked to carry 19 stone :(

Jellybabie

New User
Visit site
It's just that they have all been fine with me, for the last year I have ridden there near on 3 times a week, hacking, jumping, galloped and they have all been fine?
I am a novice so please don't think I'm being ignorant I just don't understand how the horses suddenly can't cope!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry to hear your dilemma, however, look at it from another angle...fantastic, you can learn to lunge, long rein, stride out jumps for people and various horses, learn to watch how horses move, learn to spot problems with them and conformation...whilst you are doing that , at home you can work on losing those extra muffins, and you will feel so much better for it...Go learn, its fun (and sometimes not as easy as it looks and you'll burn some calories). good luck
:)

This is a fab way to look at it!
OP don't be disheartened, although I can totally understand how hurt you must feel. In my opinion the rs has finally got a really good instructor who's putting the horses first which is great from their point of view.
We had a 15 stone limit at the rs I worked at and I used to find it really difficult asking riders weights but my boss was very strict on it.
Maybe you could turn this story around and use it as an incentive to help you loose a bit?
Hugs xx

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Ok everyone's telling you you are too heavy. Please understand people know what they are talking about and give in gracefully! As a novice you should be willing to learn but you don't seem to be...

I don't really want to call troll on this one, if you are serious then take the advice given!

Bestdogdash

Visit site
It's just that they have all been fine with me, for the last year I have ridden there near on 3 times a week, hacking, jumping, galloped and they have all been fine?
I am a novice so please don't think I'm being ignorant I just don't understand how the horses suddenly can't cope!

How do you know if they have been fine ? Presumably you just go home after your lesson. You are far far too heavy to ride - and, as a 27 year old, you must know you are unhealthily obese at that weight - regardless of riding or not, do your own heart a favour and step away from the pies and lose some weight.

Haylee

Visit site
Just because you can't ride, doesn't mean you can't do ground work, lunging, leading and grooming etc.. that will also help loose the weight and learn new things. :) there's good advice being given here by others! x

Jellybabie

New User
Visit site
Thank you galaxy. That is interesting. I guess I need to make the decision between riding again and weight. The instructor said at 16 stone (I'd have to 16 including a saddle and gear) the school could offer me two horses to ride. My dream has always been a 15.2 heavyweight cob ( this is the horse I feel most comfy on) what would be an ideal weight for that? I want to do low key competitions?

Also I have not a lot of time to exercise and to be honest I don't have the motivation but horse related is fine! Any ideas for weight loss involving horses. Instructor said I could lead out ponies for hacks with small children, lunge, long line (what is this?)
She said if I am willing to help she will add up my hours and it will amount to some free lessons when I'm slimmer

ebonyallen

Visit site
Well you know what you need to do, go and loose the weight and go back and show just how committed you are to the horses and to riding.Sorry that you have had to go through this but they prob think that they will not see you again, so prove them all wrong go and get yourself sorted and come back stronger and you will feel so much better for it, I know its easier said than done but try you will feel so much better for it. Good luck ............

_GG_

Visit site
OP, you are a novice and a newbie, so I will put this as kindly as I possibly can.

With the weight of yourself and a saddle, the horse, any horse is being asked to carry over 20st. This is in my very honest opinion too much weight for even many many of the heavy breeds.

Add to that a novice rider that may not always be in perfect balance and it is not good for a horse at all. the vast majority of riding school horses ridden by novices are not working by rounding their back and taking the weight of the rider through their legs. Instead the weight is all carried along the back of the horse...the part that was never intended for weight carrying. We, as humans can make it comfortable for a horse to carry us by using a saddle that takes the direct weight off the actual spine. We can train our horses to work in a manner that builds up the correct muscles to support our weight and move in a frame that distributes our weight effectively.

I know it is uncomfortable to hear and read and be told, but it is highly likely that it causes the horses that carry you potential health issues. They may not show now, but they possibly will in the future.

If you go and buy your own horse, it will mean you having to buy something extremely large and weight carrying. Not all of the larger breeds are good for novice riders. Some of the real heavyweight european draft horses could take your weight, but they are certainly not the types of horse that would be advisable for a novice.

I would urge you to really have a think about what is most important here. Is it your desire to ride, or is it the welfare of the horses.

The reasons the old instructor had for allowing you to ride are irrelevant. She should not have. It is too much weight for probably 98% of ridden horses.

Yes, you may be happy to be the weight you are, but that doesn't give you the right to make that choice for an animal that can't talk back.

I really am genuinely sorry that this is so upsetting for you but, I have to be honest and say that I would much rather see a human upset than an animal hurt.

You are however, in an enviable position. many people can't ride for many other reasons that they cannot change. You are in a position where you could make yourself reach a weight that would be suitable for riding certain horses.

The choice is yours, but please, getting your own horse is really not the answer here.

Jellybabie

New User
Visit site
How do you know if they have been fine ? Presumably you just go home after your lesson. You are far far too heavy to ride - and, as a 27 year old, you must know you are unhealthily obese at that weight - regardless of riding or not, do your own heart a favour and step away from the pies and lose some weight.

How rude. You have no idea on my circumstances

DanceswithCows

Visit site
Sorry, it's cringey but I also agree 19st is too heavy for anything but the most massive horses IMO. Why don't you work out the weight of the horse you feel you should be riding, then work out what percentage of it's weight you would be, then apply that to yourself and put it in a rucksack to carry around - seriously do it! It'll open your eyes as to what hard work it is to jog about, jump etc. with that amount of weight on you.

Why not take up driving while you work on your weight? It's brill!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sorry hun you're not gonna like me for saying this, but how would YOU like 18st bumping around on YOUR back?

Riding school horses have a tough life, they have to be adaptable and get used to a variety of different riders; and be fit enough to cope with a heavier workload than they'd get in a private home.

Riding schools have the difficult job of keeping the client happy, but also trying to make sure that their best horses are kept fit and able to do the job. If they can't the riding school loses money basically. And if the horses are being asked to carry heavy weights on a regular basis, it impacts on their fitness. Frankly, if you can't see that heavier weights will impact on that more than a lighter-weight rider, then FFS take up another hobby. Sorry to sound harsh, but I think you need to sit down and think hard and long about whether riding is the right thing for you; and/or whether it might be appropriate to seek help about your weight problem. Your posts have unfortunately not given any indication that you have any sympathy or perception of the poor horses that have to carry you.

My horse is 15hh and a chunky traddie cob and so well up to weight, but TBH I'd probably not be too happy for an 18st rider to get on him. IF you really want to ride, and its important enough to lose weight for, then you will do it. I am sorry if I sound insensitive, I do appreciate that people are overweight for all sorts of reasons not just the wrong lifestyle/diet choices. But as others have said, if riding IS the be-all-and-end-all for you, and its what you want to do, then let your current situation provide the necessary impetus to tackle whatever is the underlying problem for you.

But whatever, FGS don't sit down and grouse about it when a riding school (for once) puts the welfare of its horses above the risk of losing a client. I applaud your riding school for their stance on this occasion and TBH think you really need to acknowledge that you are far too heavy for a 14.2. That simply isn't fair; and you surely can see that.

I think there is a 13st weight limit in place at most establishments anyway; so OK let that be your target weight - get some advice re. diet/weight loss, see your doctor if needs be, and go for it. If riding is important to you; you will do it.

Last edited:

galaxy

Visit site
Good for you. Long reining is when you walk behind the horse on 2 reins like you're ploughing. It's great for horse and rider. :)

A heavyweight cob would be around the 600kgs mark I would say. So if you could be 15-20% of that it would be 90-120kgs. I'm sorry I can't convert that to stone in my head! Lol!

Come on people, lets not be rude. Op has stated that she is a novice. She truly did not know this was an issue. She had been going to a RS who had never said a word and now have, of course she is confused and upset. Lets HELP her not jump on her!

Last edited: