Turning 4 this year?

Spirit7

Visit site
Thanks for posting the thread, I nearly posted an identical one a few days later as I was wondering what people were doing with their rising 4yos too. It's hard to bounce ideas off people when you have the only youngster on the yard other than a yearling and a couple foals!
It’s such a minefield as everyone has opinions of what you should and shouldn’t be doing (one of the reasons I don’t enjoy livery anymore so lucky enough to have at home) and while I don’t care for pleasing people I am interested in what you’re all doing. I do notice the most opinionated (not on here) are the ones that know the least. But we all like reassurance and I’ve found the responses and ideas on this thread very helpful. So thank you too. X

Ahrena

Visit site
The saddle issue has held me up here and there this year but currently settled in one that should be ok for a couple of months before adjusting.
I think repetition is the best way over and over but I’v kept all my training / riding to 15 mins bites so far although I’ve combined things.
Mine seems super keen and masters opening a gate from being mounted 2nd time but also thinks trucks are full of hay and snack wagons so slightly worried about increasing road work in case of convertablies 😂
What lovely mare do you have?
Well there’s worse opinions to have towards traffic!!
She’s a Connie x TB from the Irish sales ring. I call her my Amazon prime pony as I bought her through an ap and she arrived 3 days later! I couldn’t face proper viewings after losing my old girl very suddenly and she’s a bit of a project to keep me busy whilst my 2 year old homebred grows up. She’s a nice girl though if slightly mardy!!

I don’t have the confidence I used to and she projectiled me head first into the ground last autumn so we’re going at snails pace compared to most people, but she’s still young and it won’t do her any harm. My only aims for this year is to get her hacking and be able to do some sort of walk-trot-canter round the school. As well as lots of in-hand showing - she did a few last year and did very well but gets quite worked up so needs lots of exposure and then hopefully she’ll of grown a brain by the time I come to ride her at a party. I hope.

We went on a new route in hand yesterday with a friend and apart from a bit of a ‘Whoopee’ buck, rear, bounce when going into an open field, she was very good.
I do have a very good, very brave friend who is willing to get on, but I used to be hard as nails and feel I need to beat this as I absolutely want to back my homebred and produce him myself from day one.

Spirit7

Visit site
Well there’s worse opinions to have towards traffic!!
She’s a Connie x TB from the Irish sales ring. I call her my Amazon prime pony as I bought her through an ap and she arrived 3 days later! I couldn’t face proper viewings after losing my old girl very suddenly and she’s a bit of a project to keep me busy whilst my 2 year old homebred grows up. She’s a nice girl though if slightly mardy!!

I don’t have the confidence I used to and she projectiled me head first into the ground last autumn so we’re going at snails pace compared to most people, but she’s still young and it won’t do her any harm. My only aims for this year is to get her hacking and be able to do some sort of walk-trot-canter round the school. As well as lots of in-hand showing - she did a few last year and did very well but gets quite worked up so needs lots of exposure and then hopefully she’ll of grown a brain by the time I come to ride her at a party. I hope.

We went on a new route in hand yesterday with a friend and apart from a bit of a ‘Whoopee’ buck, rear, bounce when going into an open field, she was very good.
I do have a very good, very brave friend who is willing to get on, but I used to be hard as nails and feel I need to beat this as I absolutely want to back my homebred and produce him myself from day one.
Amazon pony lol. It definitely hurts much more now than it used too! I’m sure you’ll be fine with the mare over time and then you can really enjoy producing your hombred!
I’ve had a few unexpected departures which were basically my fault but dented my confidence so it happens to us all…..easy to say on the other side (currently!!) but it makes you more careful and I think a better rider, well I hope!
Best luck x

Auslander

Visit site
What baby do you have? I’ve not thought about sending away at all, I wanted to make my own from scratch although I think sending away would be safer as I’m getting on but so far so good. Thanks for reply
Not my baby - he's a livery. V well bred warmblood, who is going to be a dressage horse when he grows up!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Daughters mare turns four in June…she was backed this time last year Im guessing…bought in July and after a bit of a miss start with one trainer from December has been ridden twice weekly …arena or hacking. She blows my mind and heart with how hard she tries to please and works straight and rhythmically in walk and trot, is learning gentle canter transitions, has worked over poles, shoulder fore..shoulder in..leg yielding..turn on the forehand and as her strength improves she is naturally carrying herself for longer periods of time. She and her trainer hacked out with me and did most of the gate opening and closing…I am in awe of her and her trainer.