Turning my mare out with geldings

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Hi there. Ive recently had to move my mare into a field with two young geldings because when she was turned out with a group of mares at the yard she was getting bullied. My mare (having said that) is quite dominant and clashed with another dominant mare in that group. I've turned her out with the geldings tonight but am worried if this will work or not. She squealed at them both to start with and marched off. They followed her around for about five minutes and she gave a warning buck. They then sort of just put their heads down. She's 17, and the geldings are 8 and 12. Do you think this will work? Thanks.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I was just concerned about the possibility of them maybe fighting over her. She's in season at the mo as well. Really stupid question but do geldings still get horny? Lol

Farma

Visit site
Hi i have a very dominant mare who for years was kept only with mares and was head of the herd and had all the gelding running up and down the fence when she was in season - when i moved yards i opted for the mixed fields and it changed her for the better - she mixed better with the entire herd rather than seperating them and she would the odd squeal with a gelding and then it was over - it was the best thing for her.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I always turn geldings and mares out together and never had a problem. They will work out the herd order within their group reguardless off wheather they are mares or geldings.