Turnout after several months of box-rest & dangerous to lead

amybyersx

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm just after some advice really. My TB gelding who is incredibly highly strung has been on box rest for majority of the winter months due to a mix of recovering from an injury and then the field at our yard were just too bogged down for him to go out.
Bit of a back story - I've owned my TB for 11 years and he has gone through phases of being a dobin to walk and then a dangerous beast to walk from the field. In 2020, I lost his stable mate, my 24 year old mare and although he was clearly affected, he was walking in and out of the field fine. In 2021, he had an accident jumping from his paddock into a neighbouring one which did not have the best fencing (complaints to YO were made for months for it to be replaced) and he sliced his back legs open after sinking in the mud - he had 12 weeks box rest after that and was absolutely fine being lead in and out from the rest of the summer. We ended up moving yards after this due to the YO allowing the yard to go into disrepair and it was becoming too dangerous and for the first 6 months, he was absolutely fine on his new yard. Around October time, just before he was due to come inside for the winter, he began to act up leaving his field and would stress to get out of the gate. He would dart out of the gate, rear and them bomb off, getting himself all stressed out and making it extremely difficult for me to get him to his stable. This continued for two months until he pulled something and this resulted in more box rest. He was being turned out in our all weather arena after this which again, at first he was absolutely fine with.. but after a month, he began to dart out of the gate, rear and become dangerous to lead. Once he was inside of the barn, he was a golden child again! My vet recommended that due to the trashed fields, he stay inside until spring at the risk of him causing more damage to himself and so he has been hand walked and turned out in the arena but this has obviously been VERY dangerous for me.

Now the time has come where it is spring, the horses are due for 24/7 turnout and now i'm concerned about him being back outside again. My main worry is leaving him out there after not having grass since November time, not to mention how he will react when i try to lead him inside. I'm terrified that he will go out and end up dropping with lami.
I am at the end of my tether and i know if something does not change, one of us is going to get serious injured. Please can someone give me some advice. The only time he has been settled this winter is inside his stable but it has killed me to keep him indoors - I just don't know what to do for the best. We have tried everything from food to chiffney bits, nothing helps.

amybyersx

Visit site
Personally, if he was mine I'd find grass livery and turn him out 24/7. that set up sounds like it's just frying his brain.
Thank you but unfortunately grass livery isn’t an option with him. He religiously fence walks, specifically in winter at night and become so stressed because he is so desperate to be inside. Leaving him out on grass 24/7 just causes him problems and he loses weight rapidly. Sadly the last few months where he has been kept inside did not start the issues, this was happening in late Autumn before he was even coming in every night for winter.

SO1

Visit site
I think colic or a soft tissue injury is more of an issue than laminitis for a TB if you are reintroducing grass and herd turnout after a long spell of box rest. Is he is being ridden at all now?

Can you sedate and turn him out for a few hours and then bring back in untill he gets back into a routine.

How big are the fields and how many horses.

Could you send him away to a rehab yard for a month to get them to work on reintroducing him to grass in a controlled way with sedation?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank you but unfortunately grass livery isn’t an option with him. He religiously fence walks, specifically in winter at night and become so stressed because he is so desperate to be inside. Leaving him out on grass 24/7 just causes him problems and he loses weight rapidly. Sadly the last few months where he has been kept inside did not start the issues, this was happening in late Autumn before he was even coming in every night for winter.

Unless he has ever been out overnight in winter, this could well be more linked to being hungry than wanting to be inside. If he were mine, I would bring him in before he starts fence-walking, feed him and turn back out on a yard which is truly suitable for living out 24/7 until he relaxes about it in a herd.
However in the short-term, I would give him Sedalin to get him out safely.

Last edited:

NOISYGIRL2

Visit site
Another vote for sedalin, i had to sedate mine if he'd been on box rest, its safer for you and him, could you sedate and turn out on his own for a couple of hours and increase over a few weeks. You could think about giving him some protexin to help his gut adjust.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
is it just at catching in that he does this? so he's OK going out to the field? what happens if you just go to the field, hand graze and come straight back in again, would he do the same then?

amybyersx

Visit site
The problem with bringing him in before he fence walks in winter is that he can be settled for anything between an hour and 3 hours. Then he starts to fence walk and stress, even if there are horses outside with him. He has always grazed either alone with my mare before she passed or as part of a herd/1-2 other horses so never alone. He always used to turn out fine and still did - even just to the arena would go out fine. It would just be when it came to him being ready to come inside or even if you just walk to the gate, he will charge over and then act like an idiot coming inside until he was actually inside the barn. Once his feet are in the barn, he stops rearing and trying to bolt. The problem is no one else will bring him in and as someone who works full time, i cannot leave work after a couple of hours to bring him inside early. My only worry with sedalin is that as he is such a fool, he will fall around while coming out of the sedation and cause an injury.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The problem with bringing him in before he fence walks in winter is that he can be settled for anything between an hour and 3 hours. Then he starts to fence walk and stress, even if there are horses outside with him. He has always grazed either alone with my mare before she passed or as part of a herd/1-2 other horses so never alone. He always used to turn out fine and still did - even just to the arena would go out fine. It would just be when it came to him being ready to come inside or even if you just walk to the gate, he will charge over and then act like an idiot coming inside until he was actually inside the barn. Once his feet are in the barn, he stops rearing and trying to bolt. The problem is no one else will bring him in and as someone who works full time, i cannot leave work after a couple of hours to bring him inside early. My only worry with sedalin is that as he is such a fool, he will fall around while coming out of the sedation and cause an injury.

Could you ask someone to give him some hay mid-afternoon, when you are working?

Kodak_TBT

Visit site
Sedalin and then slowly but sure build up how long he is out for each time over a matter of weeks. As others have said don’t leave him out so long he gets fed up. Not every horse wants to be out all day. Each horse should be managed to their individual needs

meleeka

Visit site
. My only worry with sedalin is that as he is such a fool, he will fall around while coming out of the sedation and cause an injury.

It’s not that deep a sedation like the injectable type. It will slow his brain down as well as his body.

Does he have hay when he’s turned out?