Turnout chaps for mudfever

bumper

Visit site
Recommendations please! I'm looking at the Equilibrium Close Contact ones, but have also come across Premier Equine/Shires ones during my search, and now I am undecided....

Does anyone have experience of using these, and which ones offer the best protection?

Many thanks :)

ponydi

Visit site
Equilibrium are good but expensive! I use Shires, which do a good job, but the Premier ones I acquired didn't seem to cover the pastern/heel area as well as the others

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Haven't tried the Shires ones, I have a set of Equilibrium which are excellent if you get the fit right, and a set of Premier Equine but consider those more turnout protection than mud fever for the reason ponydi stated. They do keep the covered areas of the legs clean and dry though :)

Murphy888

Visit site
Just bought the Equilibrium ones and am impressed with fit and coverage. Also breathable. They are really expensive though at 70 quid a pair!! Have a look on ebay for some second hand ones

soloequestrian

Visit site
It depends which parts of the leg you need covered. I think the Equilibrium boots are the only ones that cover the coronet band and back of the heel, but if you don't mind these bits being exposed you could go for one of the cheaper brands.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
The only time I ever had problems was when I used turn out boots. Vets have now told me to stop using them and now the problems have gone. They said my lad was getting hot underneath them and setting the perfect ground for bugs.

Northern Hare

Visit site
One thing you may need to take into account, is that unless you can clean and dry the boots off overnight, you may need more than one set!

I had three sets but my favourites were the Sportabac ones which came down well over the pasterns, the derby house ones are also good but I don't think they sell their own brand ones any longer. The Shires ones were the cheapest but I found the neoprene not as good quality and it wasn't as stretchy.

bumper

Visit site
Thanks everyone!
Yes, was looking at the Shires and didn't like the look of the neoprene. Thanks for the advice re the PE ones: the write up is more about protection, but then it says "for mud fever" too, and I wasn't sure if they will be up for the job. I'll go look at the Sportabac ones now x

Warrior_princess

Visit site
I dont rate turnout boots. Tried a few different makes on my mare and found the mud and wet got inside the boot and kept her legs warm and damp which caused more problems. Since i stopped using them she rarely has mud rash. I clip her legs,hose few times a week and plaster with veg oil or pig oil x