Twitch - What are your thoughts?

AFB

Visit site
Lip twitching, I've used on occasion when mine has gotten stroppy half way through a task (i.e. mane pulling or clipping his face) and it wouldn't be practical to sedate. It works for him and isn't used for long.

That being said I don't pull his mane any more and if I *plan* to fully clip his face I'd give him some sedalin in advance. It's when a half face goes wrong and the whole lot has to come off we have an issue!

Ear twitching I would NEVER use.

Visit site
I don't like them but they are useful. I normally go for a neck twitch for most simple things if the horse is being a pest. I use a nose twitch when clipping if its just the head I need to do - Im not sedating a horse just to clip it's head. But I try not to twitch at all and won't have one on for more than 5 mins tops. I would never, have never and will never do an ear twitch.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Have seen and used it plenty in the past. wouldn't use it again unless it was some kind of emergency and there was no other way.
Something I tend to avoid where possible. I would be more inclined to use a sedative if it was a viable alternative
this and this ^^

I think the research has shown the endorphin effect wears off after 5 mins or so, so should be only ever a short term thing anyway.

Bs_mum

Visit site
Not something I do often but is something I have to do on one pony particularly for worming and administering sedation. I’ve tried various methods and I’ve found this most effective but I’ve done in and finished within a minute.

be positive

Visit site
We used one last week to get a nerve block done, neck was not enough alone, it was only on a few minutes unlike my horse that returned from a stay away in hospital that still had the very clear mark around his nose over a week later, he will never be subjected to one again for any reason other than if it was a matter of twitching to save his life, not that I can think of a reason it would.

Leandy

Visit site
I will use a nose twitch on occasion but literally only once in a blue moon. They are useful to keep everyone safe but there are other methods I would prefer if possible. Sometimes a blindfold is sufficient for example or holding up a front leg. I thought ear twitching was illegal but maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't do that anyway though for fear of causing damage to the ear and of resulting in a head shy horse and I'm not tall enough to do it just by hand! I've always been averse to sedating for routine things like clipping. I'd prefer to work with the horse to actually get him comfortable with it even if it takes time and I'm not convinced that a sedated horse is going to learn anything. I'd be interested in people's experience of that? If you routinely sedate a difficult horse for say clipping, does it learn from the calmer experience that clipping is not scary or is it just oblivious?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I think the majority of reasons people twitch could be overcome with some training/time tbh. I've had ponies who I've been told were awful to clip, worm, inject, dentist etc yet I end up clipping them loose while they fall asleep, worm while they are loose in the field etc and have got them desensitised to injections and get their teeth floated with no issues.
I used to work in an equine vets where twitching was used on practically every horse, it was a while ago though and hopefully things have changed a bit but you don't have time to train them in that situation.

oldie48

Visit site
I've used a lip twitch just to finish off a clip in small areas that a horse is a bit twitchy about (excuse the pun). Like others I would prefer to sedate if the horse is really tricky to clip. I've always found it pretty effective if used properly ie leave for a few minutes for the endorphins to be released and use for very short periods of time. It's not something I have used for any other purpose and I have never used one on the ear but have had horses that probably have as they are very funny about having one of the ears touched!

be positive

Visit site
I'd prefer to work with the horse to actually get him comfortable with it even if it takes time and I'm not convinced that a sedated horse is going to learn anything. I'd be interested in people's experience of that? If you routinely sedate a difficult horse for say clipping, does it learn from the calmer experience that clipping is not scary or is it just oblivious?
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/twitch-what-are-your-thoughts.782809/#83hbvkzGBywv3sb1.99

In an ideal world we would be able to take time and desensitise them to everything we need to do but there is not always time, some are just beyond reasoning with about some things, I do a bit of clipping and have sedated a few for the first clip, some by the vet some sedalin, they have all been better the next time and the ones I continued with were not sedated after one or two clips so they did learn to relax.
Most I have worked around without sedation but it can takes a long time with the really tricky ones which the average owner without their own clippers may not be able to do effectively.

SEL

Visit site
Last time I used a nose twitch was when the vet needed to nerve block a horse. Not mine and the owner was turning green at the thought of twitching her own horse. Quick luckily because I don't like them - was knocked flying when I was younger when vet twitched to try and investigate a deep cut on a horse. Prefer to sedate where possible.

I worked in Aus in my 20s and we had a horse with a split ear in the herd. The owner said when he got her she was very headshy after being ear twitched - probably with wire. Really sweet little horse too.

crazyandme

Visit site
I will use a nose twitch on occasion but literally only once in a blue moon. They are useful to keep everyone safe but there are other methods I would prefer if possible. Sometimes a blindfold is sufficient for example or holding up a front leg. I thought ear twitching was illegal but maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't do that anyway though for fear of causing damage to the ear and of resulting in a head shy horse and I'm not tall enough to do it just by hand! I've always been averse to sedating for routine things like clipping. I'd prefer to work with the horse to actually get him comfortable with it even if it takes time and I'm not convinced that a sedated horse is going to learn anything. I'd be interested in people's experience of that? If you routinely sedate a difficult horse for say clipping, does it learn from the calmer experience that clipping is not scary or is it just oblivious?

Reggie can be a twit to clip. He's not scared or worried, he just decides that day he won't stand nicely and let us do it (and no, never anything to do with the clippers being blunt etc etc, he is just a pest). So the people who had him previously always used to sedate him, we never did because we couldn't be bothered with getting the vet out. We would just leave him when he was being a twit and try again another day

Twitching, I would if I had no other alternative. But ear twitching certainly not. My old Sec. D had been ear twitched before I had her, and it took me the better part of a year before I could get near her ears on the floor. Even several years later, she needed to be warned that I was going to touch them. Funnily enough though, she was perfectly happy for me to pull them gently once I was onboard

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I really don't like doing it but I literally have no choice. I would never ear twitch & neck has no effect, but I have to lip twitch my welshie in order to administer a tube of domosedan for him to have his jabs & teeth done. Only for less than a minute & then it's off. He's down right dangerous without it & vet won't touch him until hes had the domosedan, then they can IV sedate him on arrival (they give me a half hour heads up as on site of a vet I have no chance). All stems from having his first jab done by a trainee vet & taking off with the needle flapping in his neck :rolleyes: Hes suspicious of everyone! I wouldn't use one to clip or pull a mane etc though, I hate it.

Michen

Visit site
I'd prefer to work with the horse to actually get him comfortable with it even if it takes time and I'm not convinced that a sedated horse is going to learn anything. I'd be interested in people's experience of that? If you routinely sedate a difficult horse for say clipping, does it learn from the calmer experience that clipping is not scary or is it just oblivious?
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/twitch-what-are-your-thoughts.782809/#83hbvkzGBywv3sb1.99

In an ideal world we would be able to take time and desensitise them to everything we need to do but there is not always time, some are just beyond reasoning with about some things, I do a bit of clipping and have sedated a few for the first clip, some by the vet some sedalin, they have all been better the next time and the ones I continued with were not sedated after one or two clips so they did learn to relax.
Most I have worked around without sedation but it can takes a long time with the really tricky ones which the average owner without their own clippers may not be able to do effectively.
Didn't with Basil. He totally lost the plot with clippers even after years of sedation.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My gelding was ear twitched by the vet who microchipped him as a foal. He's not fully got over it and is very suspicious of people he doesn't know reaching up towards his head/ears/neck. You have to prove to him that he can trust you. He also prefers his bridle to be assembled on is head rather than put on in the normal way as that squashes his ears.

twiggy2

Visit site
I am happy to twitch, done correctly for very short periods of time I have no issue with it.
I would occasionally nose twitch to clip one ear on a mare, I was not going to sedate for that.
I used to skin twitch another mare for her shoes to be nailed onto her hinds. She had lameness issue that the owner and vet were in denial about for almost 2 yrs.
I prefer skin twitching when possible s when your hands tired you have to start again and there is no way of leaving it on for too long.
Ear twitching never done it and can't see where it would ever be of benefit.

oldie48

Visit site

The horse I always had sedated by the vet came to me as a 12 year old, you could do anything you liked with him except clip. Pre -purchase I was told not to clip him without sedation and I never tried. He grew a pretty fine coat and generally I got away with a full clip in late November which carried us through to the spring. I felt it was a small price to pay for being safe.

be positive

Visit site
The horse I always had sedated by the vet came to me as a 12 year old, you could do anything you liked with him except clip. Pre -purchase I was told not to clip him without sedation and I never tried. He grew a pretty fine coat and generally I got away with a full clip in late November which carried us through to the spring. I felt it was a small price to pay for being safe.

There are always some that never get over it, usually something went wrong when they were first clipped and I suspect a few have had electric or static shocks, my clippers run off a battery and since changing to them every horse that was not great has improved.
I did give up trying with one last week and asked the owner to arrange sedation as she was just not settling even twitched, their other pony had a temper tantrum but soon gave up for the first clip, second time she didn't bother as she got nowhere the first time, she had been sedated in her last home but I wanted to try without first, it is often a matter of reading their body language as to how you deal with them and whether you think you will win without it becoming a fight that makes matters worse which long term is not helpful.

Merrymoles

Visit site
We used to lip twitch the odd mare for cleansing if the afterbirth hadn't come away cleanly when I worked at a stud farm, always with vet supervision.

My current horse is paranoid about just about everything - worming, clipping, his legs, tinsel, crops, even mane brushing - so I did think to try him with a twitch once so that I could get some cream on a particular sore scabby bit on his leg. He took one look at the twitch, broke his lead rope and bogged off around the yard so I've never tried again. He obviously recognised what it was.

Fortunately, he eats anything I care to give him (apart from Top Spec chaff) so he now has his wormer in his feed and domesdan gel in feed if I need to do anything "scary", or his fieldmate's owner stands and bribes him with endless fibre nuggets while I do whatever he doesn't like!

Visit site
I don't have the time to desensitize them to clipping. I have found some get better over a couple of years. Other's there's no reasoning with. Some settle with earplugs. I always try to do the youngsters first clips so I know they have a good experience and so far I have only had 2 that required sedation but they are covered in sarcoids and are very wary of them.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
By the right person, on the right horse for the right reason for a very short time it's fine imo. I used to have a TBxWelshD mare who responded by 'switching off' if the handler rubbed her nose in the right way. I would only ever use a nose twitch, myself

asmp

Visit site
My Criollo was twitched, we believe, when he was in S America and 13 years on he still doesn’t like his ears being touched 😕

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We used to lip twitch the odd mare for cleansing if the afterbirth hadn't come away cleanly when I worked at a stud farm, always with vet supervision.

My current horse is paranoid about just about everything - worming, clipping, his legs, tinsel, crops, even mane brushing - so I did think to try him with a twitch once so that I could get some cream on a particular sore scabby bit on his leg. He took one look at the twitch, broke his lead rope and bogged off around the yard so I've never tried again. He obviously recognised what it was.

Fortunately, he eats anything I care to give him (apart from Top Spec chaff) so he now has his wormer in his feed and domesdan gel in feed if I need to do anything "scary", or his fieldmate's owner stands and bribes him with endless fibre nuggets while I do whatever he doesn't like!

This is one reason why I wouldn't use one except in an emergency. I've seen many horses which appeared to be completely calmed by them the first time, but really resisted anyone doing it again. I figure it can't be a nice experience even if they appear to be switched off.

Pippity

Visit site
Mine had to be nose-twitched at the hospital in order to get the sedation in, but it's not something I'd do unless medically necessary. It certainly didn't traumatise her or put her off having her nose played with, though.