Two Police horses attacked by dog and one horse injured

reynold

Visit site

Urbane, the badly injured horse, has returned to work with the Police.

It's so nice that he's recovered after such awful injuries. From the article he seems to be lovely character.

teapot

Visit site
Another Met horse involved with a dog attack

Velcrobum

Visit site

oldandgold

Visit site
Update

But it begs the question why is the dog still in police kennels and a decision on it's future is pending - this dog should have been PTS the same day

Velcrobum

Visit site
I do wonder if the owner is fighting being PTS, if it had been a person I think the police have the power to make that decision. That decision hopefully will be made when he is sentenced.

Clodagh

Visit site
I’m not sure that legally pts is a given. Attacking another animal is pretty much nothing and does the fact it was an animal on duty make that much difference?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
But it begs the question why is the dog still in police kennels and a decision on it's future is pending - this dog should have been PTS the same day

The dog wasn't proven to be dangerously out of control until the man is convicted of having a dog that's dangerously out of control, so it stays in kennels until the man is convicted and then the dog's case goes to court if the owner won't agree to PTS.

reynold

Visit site
Wasn't there a law change in the last year that made it more of an offence to attack a police officer on duty, designed to protect police dogs under the law after they've been attacked on duty.

If I've remembered correctly then I would hope that a police horse would also be counted as a 'police officer'.

Perhaps someone can remember better than I can?

skinnydipper

Visit site
Wasn't there a law change in the last year that made it more of an offence to attack a police officer on duty, designed to protect police dogs under the law after they've been attacked on duty.

If I've remembered correctly then I would hope that a police horse would also be counted as a 'police officer'.

Perhaps someone can remember better than I can?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
"Finn's law" is about people attacking service animals (including police dogs and police horses).

When a dog attacks a horse this is, I believe, the offense of having a dangerously out of control dog. When a dog injures a person or a service animal it becomes the aggravated offense of having a dangerously out of control dog, with more severe penalties.

skinnydipper

Visit site
"Finn's law" is about people attacking service animals (including police dogs and police horses).

When a dog attacks a horse this is, I believe, the offense of having a dangerously out of control dog. When a dog injures a person or a service animal it becomes the aggravated offense of having a dangerously out of control dog, with more severe penalt
Reynold asked if there had been a change in law to protect police dogs when they have been attacked on duty. Finn's Law was introduced to make it an offence to cause unnecessary suffering to a service animal, and is I think the change in law that reynold was referring to.

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
Pity the dog has not been PTS as it was an unprovoked attack

just unbelievable. Seems you can allow your dog to do anything nowadays and get only a paltry fine. If those are the consequences for attacking a police horse with witnesses, footage etc then there is no hope nor point in the rest of us complaining when our horses get attacked.

Someone had to pay the cost of the vets d/w the horse let alone the mental trauma to him. That is us as the taxpayer as we fund the police. Not only should the dog have been destroyed the owner should have been funding all of the taxpayer's (ie police's) costs.

vanrim

Visit site
Bloody Hell. Well sat. He was lucky not to come off. That horse was a Saint. My mare would have kicked the shit out of that dog 😳

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I am afraid that people are just 'daft'. I was riding in Hyde Park London a few weeks ago and a lady had two small dogs that were not on leads and running and barking around the horses legs while she was walking and talking on her mobile phone. I shouted at her several times to control her dogs warning her that her dogs may get kicked and she still did not respond. What hope have we?

Velcrobum

Visit site
I am afraid that people are just 'daft'. I was riding in Hyde Park London a few weeks ago and a lady had two small dogs that were not on leads and running and barking around the horses legs while she was walking and talking on her mobile phone. I shouted at her several times to control her dogs warning her that her dogs may get kicked and she still did not respond. What hope have we?
Sadly these days pure arrogance and selfishness is prevalent. Her phone call was far to important to interrupt to retrieve her dogs. Some people should just not have pets ..................