Two Police horses attacked by dog and one horse injured

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I saw a worrying video last week posted on Facebook by a friend that had lost several sheep in a dog attack. It was a tiktok video of a dog chasing sheep, but the owner had put a camera on the dog and had obviously trained the dog to chase. They were clearly very proud of their dog and it’s hunting ability. It was quite shocking to see that the sheep attack was deliberate, not even down to a gormless ownerzx

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I don’t understand why they didn’t batter the dog with their whip/truncheons. I would if something came at my horse
I

They carry them for crowd control at protests but not sure if they do for everyday patrols. However I don't think you'd reach easily with a truncheon, the dog isn't tall and police horses are quite big. You'd be aiming down at knee/hock level. Polo mallet might work.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi everyone
Well had my weekly private riding lesson today. Was also grooming and tacking up the horse prior to the lesson.
I asked the young lady riding instructor if while hacking, a dog came up and started attacking the horse, would she dismount from the horse ?
Her reply was 'No', she would not dismount, she would stay on the horse as the dog may attack her.
So I guess you were right all along, my mistake.
I also asked what sort of horsey channels she watches on Youtube,
She said Charlotte Dujardin and Carl Hester videos.
In my opinion these two equestrian riders know what they are talking about.

Your apology is appreciated.

Charlotte Dujardin and Carl Hester are British team members David. Of course they know what they are talking about. They aren't necessarily producing stuff that's right for a complete novice, though. If you want some pointers you could post a thread asking for suitable viewing for a novice rider.

I fear you are risking giving offence by using "young lady" completely unnecessarily in front of "riding instructor" and taking about "horsey channels".

You sound like an older guy? We really appreciate our minority group of men on the forum but you might like to read a few threads to pick up the tone.

Most Curious

Visit site
I fear you are risking giving offence by using "young lady" completely unnecessarily in front of "riding instructor" and taking about "horsey channels".

You sound like an older guy? We really appreciate our minority group of men on the forum but you might like to read a few threads to pick up the tone.

How is it offensive to call someone a young lady ? I'm old enough to be her father !, it was said in a respectful way. Where I work, fellow work colleagues older than me have called me young man. (Not so much nowadays 😄), do I take offence to this ? of course not, its taken as a compliment.

Again, I don't understand why saying horsey channels is offensive.
Why is it so different from saying woodworking channels, motorbike channels, camper van channels etc. etc. ?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Woodworky, motorbikey, campervanny, would be the equivalent. You still haven't explained how you felt qualified to criticise the actions of a professional rider and the opinions of many others.

Most Curious

Visit site
Woodworky, motorbikey, campervanny, would be the equivalent. You still haven't explained how you felt qualified to criticise the actions of a professional rider and the opinions of many others.

I don't have the time to reply to every post. It was not a criticism, I am entitled to give my opinion.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I don't have the time to reply to every post. It was not a criticism, I am entitled to give my opinion.

Of course you are. However a problem arises when someone states an opinion as fact, and is wrong, and that opinion is then here forever for others to come along and take as gospel. So you can understand why people with a lot more knowledge and experience may want to challenge that opinion in the hope that nobody acts on it in the future.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
After attending a puppy class last week the rise in dog attacks doesn't surprise me!

The owners there didn't have a clue! Even down to the owner of a 15week old Rottweiler who 'doesn't like the lead' so twice he turned on the person holding it, jumping up and growling/mouthing. The owner chuckled and said don't do that silly its ok.

It's so Scary!!

I don't see the issue here. Fifteen weeks old is no age at all. Our Labrador was an utter pest for doing this, and didn't grow out of it until she was about seven and a half months old. I took much the same approach as what you've described here. Don't @ me with nonsense about big dogs jaws or jaw strength or whatever, either. She's flipping huge now, with jaws that can crush large bones. She's also polite on and off the lead and as gentle a dog as anyone could ask for. Pups mouth, and growl, and jump up. It's part of them being pups. Laughing at their antics when training them whilst dying inside, because you just know someone present is judging you is perfectly fine.

Moobli

Visit site
I saw a worrying video last week posted on Facebook by a friend that had lost several sheep in a dog attack. It was a tiktok video of a dog chasing sheep, but the owner had put a camera on the dog and had obviously trained the dog to chase. They were clearly very proud of their dog and it’s hunting ability. It was quite shocking to see that the sheep attack was deliberate, not even down to a gormless ownerzx
Was it a husky? I saw something similar and was very shocked the owner was proud of his dog, with the title of the video being my dog making friends with sheep or something similar 😱

conniegirl

Visit site
How is it offensive to call someone a young lady ? I'm old enough to be her father !, it was said in a respectful way. Where I work, fellow work colleagues older than me have called me young man. (Not so much nowadays 😄), do I take offence to this ? of course not, its taken as a compliment.

Why is it so different from saying woodworking channels, motorbike channels, camper van channels etc. etc. ?

the answwer for both questions is because it is patronising and denigrating!

calling someone young lady and referring to her as a young lady riding istructor (Riding instructor would have been quite sufficient) belittles her experience and coming from someone with so little experience it comes across as insulting, patronising and misogynistic.

Equestrian is the correct term not horsey, horsey is what my 2 year old child says!

View

Visit site

Because it is irrelevant that she is young and female. Riding instructor is correct. Would you really refer to me as a female bus driver? Clue - please don’t.

And given your apparent age, horsey is just twee and wrong. Equestrian is correct.

ycbm

Visit site

You are now arguing with women what it is and is not OK to call a woman.

It is not OK to refer to youth or femininity when neither of those are remotely relevant to the point you are making.

Please don't argue with women about this David, you would not have referred to a male instructor under 30 as a young gentleman. You are just making yourself look like a dinosaur. I'm 65, by the way, and I don't like what you wrote.

"Horsey"? It's diminuative, patronising and infantile. Equestrian is the word you are looking for.

Most Curious

Visit site
You are now arguing with women what it is and is not OK to call a woman.

It is not OK to refer to youth or femininity when neither of those are remotely relevant to the point you are making.

Please don't argue with women about this David, you would not have referred to a male instructor under 30 as a young gentleman. You are just making yourself look like a dinosaur. I'm 65, by the way, and I don't like what you wrote.

"Horsey"? It's diminuative, patronising and infantile. Equestrian is the word you are looking for.
1. I'm not allowed to argue with because there women. That's sexist. I'll argue with whoever they are, no matter what gender.
2. You said "When writing a story its not Ok to refer to youth" what are you talking about ?
3. I was not talking about femininity.
4. I should always back down from a conversation if its a women ? yet again that's sexist.
5. If it was a male instructor I might have said young man, certainly not gentleman which sounds a bit old fashioned.
6. "I look like a dinasaur". Oh so name calling now are we, how childish is that, and that goes to other people who have posted verbal abuse towards me.
7. If you don't like what I wrote..... whatever.
8. I said one word "horsey" which you find offensive (?). Do me a favour, (pardon the pun) get off your high horse.

Real men ride horses

ycbm

Visit site
1. I'm not allowed to argue with because there women. That's sexist. I'll argue with whoever they are, no matter what gender.

no, you cannot reasonably argue with women about how women wish to be addressed or described. It's outrageous arrogance in a man to suggest otherwise.

3. I was not talking about femininity.

"Lady" = feminine. It was irrelevant in the context in which you used it and therefore patronising.

4. I should always back down from a conversation if its a women ? yet again that's sexist.
Nobody has said this, get a grip.

5. If it was a male instructor I might have said young man, certainly not gentleman which sounds a bit old fashioned.

As did young lady.

6. "I look like a dinasaur". Oh so name calling now are we, how childish is that, and that goes to other people who have posted verbal abuse towards me.
If you think that's name calling on this forum you may need to grow a pair before you contribute any more. Oh, wait 🤣

7. If you don't like what I wrote.....

You don't care how the vast majorly of users of this forum feel about the way you write about women? Figures.

8. I said one word "horsey" which you find offensive (?). Do me a favour, (pardon the pun) get off your high horse.

No, it was just the latest in your chain of mansplaining posts by a novice male on a forum full of experienced women. David, we've met reams of men like you before who think one or two riding lessons give you a licence to tell women in a predominantly female sport how to behave.

Real men treat women as equals, and as superiors if the women know more than them.

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Was it a husky? I saw something similar and was very shocked the owner was proud of his dog, with the title of the video being my dog making friends with sheep or something similar 😱

No I think it was a GSD. The owner was Eastern European living in the U.K. The video was removed when he realised it was getting shared and criticised.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Jeez ,this bloke makes me embarrassed to be a bloke on this forum. I,m no Mark Todd, (nice guy, put up a few practice fences for him) but I have ridden all my life and know that sometimes the s<<< hits the fan and you have to go with your instincts. I do suspect that I might have been a bit more proactive than the officers but in fairness I am not bound by their duty to the public . If I beat a dog to death with a stirrup on a strap (2 seconds to pull off, marvellous weapon) I dont have a job to loose.

misst

Visit site
I wonder if our "mature gentleman" is not British so use of language may be different? Having said that he is breathtakingly arrogant even if his first language is not English.

David - many men have come on here and found themselves overwhelmed and I think you may be one of them. This forum is full of intelligent, mature women, most of whom have many years of experience with horses, life, families, dogs, balancing jobs, partners and everything else. They don't take sh1t lightly or easily, nor should they. We welcome men and women who come here to learn and to listen and to offer their views. We frequently argue and disagree but overall we rub along. We tend to circle the wagons when we feel under attack, or patronised.

If you want advice, humour, support, a rant, or company then you are in the right place - but please join respectfully and allow that this is a female dominated forum, with females of a certain age and disposition :cool:. If you just accept that you'll be welcomed. If you try to bully and bluster your way through you will find yourself out on a limb and missing the whole point of this forum.